+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Zephyr Updated With New Screen Area App Switching Setting

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Zephyr Monday received an update from its developer, Grant Paul ( chpwn ), with a new setting allowing the user to select the portion of the display that they want
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 765 Posts

Default Zephyr Updated With New Screen Area App Switching Setting

Zephyr Monday received an update from its developer, Grant Paul (chpwn), with a new setting allowing the user to select the portion of the display that they want to swipe from to take advantage of the iPad-style app-to-app switching. The new feature means that users can swipe further up on the screen to swipe between applications so that the keyboard doesn't get in the way. It also makes it easier for you to differentiate between in-app swipes and Zephyr swipes.

Because of the keyboard being in the bottom half of the display, the developer has not included the ability to swipe on the bottom of the display, as it just wouldn't make much sense in terms of UI rules. Instead, the developer lets you choose between whole screen, top half, top third, and top quarter.

Also added in this version is a three-finger pinch mode for closing out of the application you're in. It's a modified version of the iPad-styled four-finger pinch gesture to close out of applications, and may be more feasible for those with larger hands trying to use the gesture on the smaller iPhone or iPod touch display.

On a more unfortunate side of things, the developer has removed the ‘keyboard disables’ feature, which means that it will be easy to accidentally type keys on the keyboard when trying to close out of an application when the keyboard is showing. You now have to use a grabber, which disappears rather quickly, so you'll have to be quick to grab it when it appears or you'll miss your chance and type a key instead.

The update is free in Cydia for everyone that owns Zephyr. New users can buy Zephyr for $4.99 from the BigBoss repository.

UPDATE: Grant has updated Zephyr again and brought back the disable on keyboard feature. It's another free update.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-18-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks

yea i hate the new grabber for the keyboard apps. I used to just be able to toggle off the "keyboard disables" option and swipe out the app to close it. Now it takes two swipes and as stated the grabber disappears rather quickly. I think chpwn should have just left well enough alone and left the grabber feature out, or at least gave you an option to use the old keyboard disables option and toggle off the grabber style altogether. I kinda wish i hadn't have updated and will probably not update to this new version on my ipads.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This new version has glitch with Notification Center. After upgrading, it's very hard to pull down the NC banner at homescreen, sometimes pulling down just works half way, release your finger then the NC banner pulling back. While in version 1.5.1-1, everything worked just fine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    yea i hate the new grabber for the keyboard apps. I used to just be able to toggle off the "keyboard disables" option and swipe out the app to close it. Now it takes two swipes and as stated the grabber disappears rather quickly. I think chpwn should have just left well enough alone and left the grabber feature out, or at least gave you an option to use the old keyboard disables option and toggle off the grabber style altogether. I kinda wish i hadn't have updated and will probably not update to this new version on my ipads.
    Thanks for the comment about the grabbers.. Totally missed that last time I was checking out the settings.. They really cut down on the unintentional swipes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm running the latest version 1.6.4-1. Despite setting the sensitivity to tiny, the switcher is still activated when scrolling 1/4 from the bottom. Quite annoying. Any workarounds? Previously I have it set using one finger activation. Now to make it even less sensitive I have to resort to two finger activation. Anyone else facing this issue?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, I'm having the same issue except for me swiping up from the middle of the page activates the switcher. I've tried every setting and the only one that works is to disable in specific app. I sure hope they find a fix soon because I really love the concept.