+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'InfinityTask' Makes Multitasking Better in iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default 'InfinityTask' Makes Multitasking Better in iOS

For those of you looking to make multitasking a little better on iOS, a new jailbreak tweak called InfinityTask by iOS developer r_plus might be right up your alley.

InfinityTask does two main things… first, it will make it so that applications are able to run in the background for longer than 10 minutes, and second, it will make it so you can easily render Web pages as a background process through either Mobile Safari or Google Chrome.

The ability to render Web pages in the background without even having a Web browser open is a pretty powerful feature for a mobile device, especially if you’re in the middle of reading something with a link in it and you want to finish reading before you look at the Web page that the link sends you to.

To render Web pages in the background while you’re in another application, you’ll just need to tap and hold on the link and tap on the “Copy” button when you're prompted. InfinityTask will even notify you when the Web page was opened in the Web browser (optional):

From the InfinityTask preferences pane in the Settings application, you'll be able to configure the settings allowing applications to run in the background for more than 10 minutes, prevent the device from sleeping anywhere from 0-600 seconds after locking the device, and choose the applications that you want involved with InfinityTask:

In addition, you’ll be able to enable or disable opening Web pages in the background from Mobile Safari or Google Chrome, enable or disable notifications for when Web pages are rendered, enable or disable the Web pages getting sent to your Mobile Safari Reading List, and enable or disable Safari Survivor mode, which keeps Mobile Safari running even when there are no tabs opened.

According to the developer, InfinityTask will not affect your battery life. It’s an interesting tweak that will certainly interest some, but it certainly seems like a niche tweak. InfinityTask works on iOS 4, iOS 5, and iOS 6. You can grab it from the BigBoss repository for $2.49.

Name: InfinityTask
    Price: $2.49
    Version: 1.1-1
    Requirements: iOS 4+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: r_plus
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-16-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This seems really interesting to pair with my Podcast listening app. I really hate how it doesn't play in my speaker dock unless I manually open it and press Play even though I was listening to it a few hours ago.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really don't get this app at all - I wanted something that means I can download a file and lock my device and have that file download over night; okay wishful thinking but this tweak comes close to that.

This 10 minute thing makes 0 sense what so ever, can someone please specify a use case so I can test if this actually works? I thought that if the device runs low on ram it removes any task from the background anyway?

I brought this but kinda wished I hadn't and 'tried' before I buy.

Thanks

how bout game? while downloading big update from a game can it run on background too with this tweak? some game in-game updates need the screen to be active upfront while updating...

Thanks

Right now battery life sux on my 5 I can't see why anyone would want anything else running. I have to charge my ph every 4hrs or less depending on how I use it

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Is this like backgrounder?

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Will we ever see Backgrounder for iOS 6? That's all I really want, the ability to keep select apps running in the background at all times when I need to multitask. Backgrounder was awesome back in the day. Looks like it's abandonware. http://cydia.saurik.com/package/backgrounder

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reeiiko View Post
    Is this like backgrounder?

Tkf
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAssassin View Post
    I really don't get this app at all - I wanted something that means I can download a file and lock my device and have that file download over night; okay wishful thinking but this tweak comes close to that.

This 10 minute thing makes 0 sense what so ever, can someone please specify a use case so I can test if this actually works? I thought that if the device runs low on ram it removes any task from the background anyway?

I brought this but kinda wished I hadn't and 'tried' before I buy.
    Try Insomnia from Cydia. This'll do what you want.
    iPod Touch Fans member Tkf1
    Twitter Gamecenter Tkf530