+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use An iOS Device As An Audio Receiver Via AirPlay With 'AirFloat'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 785 Posts

Default Use An iOS Device As An Audio Receiver Via AirPlay With 'AirFloat'

A new application has popped up in Cydia called AirFloat by iOS developer Kristian Trenskow. AirFloat is a unique application, as it will turn the iOS device that you install it on into an AirPlay-based audio receiver.

So what does that mean exactly? It means that you will be able to stream media from one device, to the iOS device with AirFloat installed on it. For example, you can stream music from your Mac (via iTunes) to your iPhone, from your iPhone to your iPad, or even from any of those devices to an iPod touch. Any iOS device with AirFloat installed can be used as an audio receiver.

On the device that you plan to stream the media from, you will be able to bring up a list of all of the nearby AirPlay-enabled devices. When you open the AirFloat application on the jailbroken iOS device, an AirFloat device should appear in the list of AirPlay devices on the device that you want to stream from. Tap on that device, and the media will stream to the AirFloat iOS device.

AirFloat has been made open-source by the developer, and the source code can be viewed on Github. If you're interested in turning one of your iOS devices into an AirPlay hub, you can download AirFloat for free today from the BigBoss repository in Cydia.

Name: AirFloat
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Kristian Trenskow
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-15-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Green Apple Jamesandthegiantkeg's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like to have this for video so I can send a video from my iPhone to my iPad or vice versa

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought their was already a regular legit appstore app that did this?

EDIT Just found out AirView was pulled from the AppStore awhile back. (lame'o Apple strikes again) Their is still a way to get it though if you search youtube for:
    how to get airview

Green Apple
    Thanks

Using my iPad and my iPhone, it sounds brilliant using multiple devices for this!
    So glad it's free, it's brilliant, the developer could have easily charged for this!

Thanks

OMG it's awesome !

Add: I saw its only useful in music play ! I have a ipod 4g in free, I connect it with my speaker -> So I thing I have a Airspeaker with Wireless streaming. I tried some sets, play music from iPhone, iTunes MAC and it worked quite good! But it seems tweak only streaming from iTunes or iDevices music player (Native App, Spotify) not from MAC system sound.

It will perfect If it can stream sound from System Output !
    Last edited by Twa1811; 02-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I guess I don't see the point. most people have these devices on them anyway so why stream from a TV for instance to something else instead of just playing it on the device to begin with??? What am I missing?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faslane66 View Post
    I guess I don't see the point. most people have these devices on them anyway so why stream from a TV for instance to something else instead of just playing it on the device to begin with??? What am I missing?
    I agree. it's kind of pointless, but cool that it can be done.

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesandthegiantkeg View Post
    I'd like to have this for video so I can send a video from my iPhone to my iPad or vice versa
    If you're jailbroken, add the XBMC app and it allows airplay from your computer, iPad or other device with Airplay on it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    I don't think it's pointless. Imagine you have multiple iOS devices with this on. If you had a party you could put one in each room, connected to a dock or cheapo speakers, then using a macs multiple speakers airplay mode, send music to all devices for whole house music, basically using what you already own instead of buying a Sonos kit or whatever...pretty cool I think!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

is this better then AirFoil and AirSpeakers? is there no delay with this App like the 2 second delay that AirFoil and AirSpeakers Has?

and it is very use full the current one i use for DJAY App since i dont have a controller i can use my iPhone to acutally cue up the song im playing and hear it thru the iPhone and have the music playing thru the Mac

budjet DJ FTW

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

What am I doing wrong not able to make it work phone and pad Re on wifi ?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorJack View Post
    What am I doing wrong not able to make it work phone and pad Are both ye on wifi any help going

?
    Vv v vvvv

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Better speaks
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Look at it this way, all my music is on my iPhone 4 but it has crappy speakers, now I can stream that music from my iPhone to my ipad mini, which has great speakers, and enjoy it even more

Thanks
    Default Finally!
    Finally someone managed to do this. Tried to setup something like it about a year ago but nothing worked. It's perfect for my spare iPod docked to my living room speakers.