+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Android, iOS Secure 91% of Global Smartphone OS Market

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In the final three months of 2012, iOS and Android combined to account for a remarkably dominant share of the global smartphone OS market. Android and iOS - the world's
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,612
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Android, iOS Secure 91% of Global Smartphone OS Market


    In the final three months of 2012, iOS and Android combined to account for a remarkably dominant share of the global smartphone OS market.

    Android and iOS - the world's top two smartphone operating systems, respectively - represented a staggering 91.1% of all smartphone shipments in Q4 of 2012.

    The International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker revealed Thursday that Android smartphone vendors and Apple shipped a total of 207.6 million units worldwide during the three-month period - a 70.2% increase in shipments over Q4 of 2011.

    "The dominance of Android and Apple reached a new watermark in the fourth quarter," says Ramon Llamas, research manager with IDC. "Android boasted a broad selection of smartphones, and an equally deep list of smartphone vendor partners. Finding an Android smartphone for nearly any budget, taste, size, and price was all but guaranteed during 2012. As a result, Android was rewarded with market-beating growth."

    Although iOS's year-over-year growth has slowed compared to the overall market, Android didn't gain much headway on iOS, although the little green robot remains the most prevalent mobile operating system on the planet.

    "Demand for Apple's iPhone 5 kept iOS out in front and in the hands of many smartphone users," Llamas explains. "At the same time, lower prices on the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S brought iOS within reach of more users and sustained volume success of older models. Even with the Apple Maps debacle, iPhone owners were not deterred from purchasing new iPhones."

    Source: IDC

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts

    I used to be a die hard Windows Mobile (phone) fan before the iPhone 3G came out. I held out as long as I could with the promise of the all new Windows Phone OS. Microsoft took way too long to innovate. Since then I've enjoyed my 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5. If anyone other than Apple and Google comes out with something new that even has a chance to take part of the 91% pie, I doubt it will be Microsoft. Blackberry is on it's last leg.

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    I used to be a die hard Windows Mobile (phone) fan before the iPhone 3G came out. I held out as long as I could with the promise of the all new Windows Phone OS. Microsoft took way too long to innovate. Since then I've enjoyed my 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5. If anyone other than Apple and Google comes out with something new that even has a chance to take part of the 91% pie, I doubt it will be Microsoft. Blackberry is on it's last leg.
    android will take the bigger piece of the pie soon..very soon..get a gs3 or note 2, you'll understand why

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hollafront1314 View Post
    android will take the bigger piece of the pie soon..very soon..get a gs3 or note 2, you'll understand why
    Why are you on an iOS website?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to regkilla For This Useful Post:

    Mrteacup (02-15-2013)

  6. #5
    Green Apple CCNPJediHacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hollafront1314 View Post
    android will take the bigger piece of the pie soon..very soon..get a gs3 or note 2, you'll understand why
    Underachieving troll!

    Quote Originally Posted by hollafront1314 View Post
    android will take the bigger piece of the pie soon..very soon..get a gs3 or note 2, you'll understand why
    If you understood anything about Android is that it will never be able to remove lag due to the type of codebase used... Also it will never be a battery friendly OS. I used to love android when iOS4 was around but ios5 and ios6 is many times better
    Last edited by CCNPJediHacker; 02-15-2013 at 04:27 AM.

  7. #6
    iPhoneaholic bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    472
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    People are such sheep. Everyone sees the big galaxy screens and wants one. Everyone who has one is telling themselves its not uncomfortable to hold. That's why iOS has more web traffic... We can actually hold our phones. Not only is a galaxy phone hard to hold, it doesn't fit in your pocket either. Just about as practical as 26" rims. As long as apple continues to put out a solid product they'll never become like the company formerly known as rim. As long as people can't think for themselves or just can't afford the apple prices, android will continue to grow.
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 02-15-2013 at 05:00 AM.

  8. #7
    Green Apple CCNPJediHacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    People are such sheep. Everyone sees the big galaxy screens and wants one. Everyone who has one is telling themselves its not uncomfortable to hold. That's why iOS has more web traffic... We can actually hold our phones. Not only is a galaxy phone hard to hold, it doesn't fit in your pocket either. Just about as practical as 26" rims. As long as apple continues to put out a solid product they'll never become like the company formerly known as rim. As long as people can't think for themselves or just can't afford the apple prices, android will continue to grow.
    Agree with this totally, Android is an absolutely shocking OS. The Android fanboi argument is that you can do what you want on an Android phone... Well news for you JAILBREAK...... Android phones always run out of battery during the day unless you have a massive note 2 and the lag is just horrific... Anybody that prefers an Android device to an Apple device has an agenda against Apple as a company and not basing their opinion on the actual phone or tablet. Would not use Android again if you paid me.... Pile of steaming excrement... And that's from an unbiased point of view because I always wanna buy the best product no matter the vendor...

  9. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    People are such sheep. Everyone sees the big galaxy screens and wants one.
    But of course Apple knows better what we users want than we do, right? Just one of the things about Android is you have a choice of hardware. Want a big screen or small screen you have options... With Apple your choices are limited to Siri or not, 30 pin or lightning connector, tall or short screen. Those really aren't a lot of options...

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Everyone who has one is telling themselves its not uncomfortable to hold.
    Ha ha ha, seriously... Even in a case such as otterbox defender my GS3 isn't uncomfortable to hold. It really isn't that much wider than any model of iPhone.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    That's why iOS has more web traffic... We can actually hold our phones.
    Not really, it's more likely because all of the seniors & teens who are getting their first iPhones and playing with their new toys. I work in the mobile phone industry and see more users exchanging iPhone 5 for Galaxy S III on a weekly basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Not only is a galaxy phone hard to hold, it doesn't fit in your pocket either. Just about as practical as 26" rims.
    What are you, a midget? Just how small are your pockets? Your comments make it clear that you've simply never held on in yourmhand or slipped on into your pocket. My GS3 is quite comfortable in my pocket (even in the aforementioned otterbox defender).

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    As long as apple continues to put out a solid product they'll never become like the company formerly known as rim.
    Because there is a lot of innovation between the iPhone 4 - 4s - 5, err I mean 4t (as in Tall)? Seriously what innovative changes were made? You still can't personalize your iDevice or add memory, yes these are things users actually want. Apple won't even allow innovative software, I've been able to use "Profile Managers" since Windows Mobile 2003 but apple won't allow then in the App Store, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    As long as people can't think for themselves or just can't afford the apple prices, android will continue to grow.
    Your first argument is a bit backwards as that's a main reason for unknowing people to get Apple devices.

    As for the "can't afford Apple" I suppose you don't know the iPhone 4 is FREE and 4s starts at $50? The GS3 has occasionally been on sale for $50 but sells day in and day out for $150 - $200 despite the cheap Apples. Many users would rather spend $200 on a 16gb Android device plus up to $100 for a MicroSD card for up to 80gb on their Android device.

    The truth of the matter is that Android & Apple devices can all do the same things. The real question isn't which is better but which is a better fit for the user...

    If you're going to bash Android then at least make intelligent arguments from a position of knowledge instead of copy/paste hallow statements from Fanboi articles...

    FWIW, I've owned every iPhone from the 2g to the 5. I still have my iPad2 and MacBook Pro. My household has a total of 2 iPhone, 3 iPads (including a mini) and 2 MacBook Pros. We are a house of mixed tech from Windows & Apple to Android we chose the best device for the user/use. Ironically Apple is losing their handset foothold as both remaining iPhone will be gone by year's end!

  10. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts

    I plan on using Run Mobile Apps on Windows PC or Mac with BlueStacks | Android App Player (android in windows emulator)on my new Lenovo Helix hybrid tablet/notebook next month. That's about all the android ill play with for now. I'm really into iPhone and very happy with how great all the apps I have are.

  11. #10
    Green Apple CCNPJediHacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
    But of course Apple knows better what we users want than we do, right? Just one of the things about Android is you have a choice of hardware. Want a big screen or small screen you have options... With Apple your choices are limited to Siri or not, 30 pin or lightning connector, tall or short screen. Those really aren't a lot of options...



    Ha ha ha, seriously... Even in a case such as otterbox defender my GS3 isn't uncomfortable to hold. It really isn't that much wider than any model of iPhone.



    Not really, it's more likely because all of the seniors & teens who are getting their first iPhones and playing with their new toys. I work in the mobile phone industry and see more users exchanging iPhone 5 for Galaxy S III on a weekly basis.



    What are you, a midget? Just how small are your pockets? Your comments make it clear that you've simply never held on in yourmhand or slipped on into your pocket. My GS3 is quite comfortable in my pocket (even in the aforementioned otterbox defender).



    Because there is a lot of innovation between the iPhone 4 - 4s - 5, err I mean 4t (as in Tall)? Seriously what innovative changes were made? You still can't personalize your iDevice or add memory, yes these are things users actually want. Apple won't even allow innovative software, I've been able to use "Profile Managers" since Windows Mobile 2003 but apple won't allow then in the App Store, why?



    Your first argument is a bit backwards as that's a main reason for unknowing people to get Apple devices.

    As for the "can't afford Apple" I suppose you don't know the iPhone 4 is FREE and 4s starts at $50? The GS3 has occasionally been on sale for $50 but sells day in and day out for $150 - $200 despite the cheap Apples. Many users would rather spend $200 on a 16gb Android device plus up to $100 for a MicroSD card for up to 80gb on their Android device.

    The truth of the matter is that Android & Apple devices can all do the same things. The real question isn't which is better but which is a better fit for the user...

    If you're going to bash Android then at least make intelligent arguments from a position of knowledge instead of copy/paste hallow statements from Fanboi articles...

    FWIW, I've owned every iPhone from the 2g to the 5. I still have my iPad2 and MacBook Pro. My household has a total of 2 iPhone, 3 iPads (including a mini) and 2 MacBook Pros. We are a house of mixed tech from Windows & Apple to Android we chose the best device for the user/use. Ironically Apple is losing their handset foothold as both remaining iPhone will be gone by year's end!
    Try and dissect my argument then, don't prey on the weak fanboy....

  12. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    Agree with this totally, Android is an absolutely shocking OS. The Android fanboi argument is that you can do what you want on an Android phone... Well news for you JAILBREAK......
    Ha ha, that's funny. Do you know why fewer Android users ROOT their devices than iPhone users JAILBREAK?

    Because they don't have to if they want to:

    - Change the default internet browser.

    - Install a Profile Manager.

    - Assign a different e-mail alert tone for each of your e-mail accounts.

    - Use WIDGETS.

    - Customize or even completely replace the UI.

    Yes despite what Apple thinks a lot of users enjoy these features. If Apple was right about what all of the users want then Jailbreak wouldn't bee needed, would it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    Try and dissect my argument then, don't prey on the weak fanboy....
    Actually wasn't any more difficult, was it?

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to kyphur For This Useful Post:

    Schnedi (02-15-2013)

  14. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    Underachieving troll!



    If you understood anything about Android is that it will never be able to remove lag due to the type of codebase used... Also it will never be a battery friendly OS. I used to love android when iOS4 was around but ios5 and ios6 is many times better
    My girlfriend has a Note 2 (which undoubtedly has a much larger mAh battery) which lasts her two straight days before the need for a charge. She is a avid fan of shadowgun which she plays a lot. I find this device in particular (not android as a general) to be exceptional on battery life.

  15. #13
    What's Jailbreak? Junnito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Tell me about it, black berry, it's done to late for the race, iPhone user since 1st gen. Till now and still be, nothing better the the iPhone, the good thing is that I've have theme all thru my kids, and little by little all of them have iPhones, lol keep up the good job apple!!!

  16. #14
    desconocido
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,780
    Thanks
    2,847
    Thanked 24,165 Times in 2,365 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    Well news for you JAILBREAK......

    without the jailbreak the iphone is NOTHING!!

    but wait.. Android doesn't need to be rooted to change appearance, install tweaks, etc...

  17. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    Honestly I'm an apple fan but android probably will, if it hasn't, take a higher amount of that share. But the way you say it android fanboy is a little irritating because you say it like its because they are better. It's 105% because they spam the market with products for low-end smartphone users and high-end. Apple had one phone product line and still has a large share of the market. It's like windows vs Mac, windows and android license their software to others like samsung or dell etc. windows and android are making only a fraction of the retail because its only their software not hardware. However apple manufactures software and hardware and use it exclusively on their own products. So they are making a drastically larger fraction of profits. That's why it's not a big deal when apples computers are only 10-20% of the share because they are exclusive, I don't mean that membership wise I mean that software wise. And this is why it's an extreme, EXTREME accomplishment apple has such a large share of the mobile market. So don't talk crap with no knowledge otherwise you make me rant :P

  18. #16
    iPhoneaholic jasvncnt10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NEW JERSEY
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked 91 Times in 75 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    Underachieving troll!



    If you understood anything about Android is that it will never be able to remove lag due to the type of codebase used... Also it will never be a battery friendly OS. I used to love android when iOS4 was around but ios5 and ios6 is many times better
    Im just curious what lag your referring to?

  19. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Just remember: once android is rooted, it's rooted for ever and the ability to modify and install different types of OS's , over clicking, and theming , it's more advance but there's way to many android phones to compare.

    iPhone is just one simple OS and was to use and with its jailbreak, you do have lots of choices of tweaks. But your limited because of the UI and the updates.

    I used both phones: android and IOS , but both are different.

    I chose iPhone because its more simpler and I have all my music, but I miss android because all the customization.

  20. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    642
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 88 Times in 70 Posts

    Android does have more security issues and for an enterprise world. That is horrible. Roots for android come out within days of a new update. For iOS it takes almost 6months to find security holes. Plus all 200+ app stores for android have a crapload of malware in them that will never get sorted out. Apple likes to keep their UI simple for people who want to have an enjoyable experience who aren't that tech savy. And with a jailbreak, their are endless possibilities to changing the UI. Apple has a good theory of not letting users have much control because let's face it. 98% of computer issues are user error.

    Also, you can take a 4s iPhone or a 5 and use it on multiple carriers. Yes you can do this with a five. All iPhones 5 are gsm and CDMA compatible. It's only the LTE that isn't. I've had a iPhone 5 that works on all three big carriers. I don't believe you can do that with many android phones out there because the carriers have other companies by the balls. Apple is the only company to basically tell the carriers to suck it and your going to do what apple tells you to do. Which Is good for the consumer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Android does have more security issues and for an enterprise world. That is horrible. Roots for android come out within days of a new update. For iOS it takes almost 6months to find security holes. Plus all 200+ app stores for android have a crapload of malware in them that will never get sorted out. Apple likes to keep their UI simple for people who want to have an enjoyable experience who aren't that tech savy. And with a jailbreak, their are endless possibilities to changing the UI. Apple has a good theory of not letting users have much control because let's face it. 98% of computer issues are user error.

    Also, you can take a 4s iPhone or a 5 and use it on multiple carriers. Yes you can do this with a five. All iPhones 5 are gsm and CDMA compatible. It's only the LTE that isn't. I've had a iPhone 5 that works on all three big carriers. I don't believe you can do that with many android phones out there because the carriers have other companies by the balls. Apple is the only company to basically tell the carriers to suck it and your going to do what apple tells you to do. Which Is good for the consumer.

    Sorry about grammar, i typed this on my iPhone and I went fast.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 02-15-2013 at 08:40 AM.

  21. #19
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Sorry, but none of these arguments matter. With Ive taking a more active role in iOS software, Apple will have stunning hardware and software. This man does not disappoint!

  22. #20
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
    The truth of the matter is that Android & Apple devices can all do the same things. The real question isn't which is better but which is a better fit for the user...

    If you're going to bash Android then at least make intelligent arguments from a position of knowledge instead of copy/paste hallow statements from Fanboi articles...

    FWIW, I've owned every iPhone from the 2g to the 5. I still have my iPad2 and MacBook Pro. My household has a total of 2 iPhone, 3 iPads (including a mini) and 2 MacBook Pros. We are a house of mixed tech from Windows & Apple to Android we chose the best device for the user/use. Ironically Apple is losing their handset foothold as both remaining iPhone will be gone by year's end!
    Masterfully said, I honestly don't understand the extreme fanboy-isim attitude with so many here. If apple has the best product, guess what? Its in my pocket. The same goes for android, and windows. Ive owned the original iphone, the 3g, and currently the 4s. I did not upgrade to the 5 simply because I did not see the innovation. I am very interested however in the upcoming GS4, but that's just me. I guess I like to keep an open mind..

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts