+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ClamAV Comments On evasi0n Being Labeled As An "Infection"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default ClamAV Comments On evasi0n Being Labeled As An "Infection"

If you run ClamAV on your Mac and you have the evasi0n jailbreak tool, you might have noticed that ClamAV thinks that the jailbreak tool is a type of infection labeled "osx.exploit.jailbreak." Both iOS hacker planetbeing and ClamAV have commented on the matter Thursday afternoon.

According to ClamAV users, the anti-virus software for Mac OS X marks evasi0n as a type of malware, being that it actually quarantines the 'infection.' While the evasi0n jailbreak tool does indeed use vulnerabilities in your iOS device to inject third-party code, the 'infection' label that ClamAV has put on it is a bit harsh, as the tool itself won't actually harm your device or computer.

ClamAV commented on the matter saying that they arenít calling the jailbreak 'malware,' per se, but rather a jailbreak. They go on to explain that ClamAV users actually have the ability to disable any signature, meaning users can basically use the tool regardless of ClamAV thinking that the tool is an infection.

iOS hacker planetbeing also comments, saying that the bold accusation of calling evasi0n an infection has scared some people away from using the jailbreak tool.

If youíre holding back from using evasi0n for an untethered jailbreak on your iOS 6 device because of ClamAV labeling the jailbreak tool as an infection, then donít worry about it. The evasi0n jailbreak tool is safe.

Sources: Twitter Conversation via planetbeing

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Good, if you're confused or scared away by such a thing then you probably shouldn't be jail breaking your phone in the first place. Too many friends wind up trying to use me as their personal support anytime they crash to safe mode or something.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

*T* (02-14-2013), buggsy2 (02-14-2013), vinaygoel2000 (02-14-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Good, if you're confused or scared away by such a thing then you probably shouldn't be jail breaking your phone in the first place. Too many friends wind up trying to use me as their personal support anytime they crash to safe mode or something.
    I totally agree. Why use something that you have no clue what it does or how it works?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 851 Posts

Ease off it. Jailbreaking is for everyone, not just super-guru-elitist snobs.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (02-14-2013), JBizza84 (02-14-2013), McManimal (02-14-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

ClamAV gets blocked in if you have security and privacy set to Mac App store and identified developers set if you have Avast you will not have any mal ware etc messages up

have a nice evening all

so happy jail braking all round

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 909 Posts

Well I'd rather have my phone infected with evasi0n

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlelisa63 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (02-14-2013), vinaygoel2000 (02-14-2013)

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
    I totally agree. Why use something that you have no clue what it does or how it works?
    I dont, i think that one should google it, read about it and then start testing... I remember the day i first jailbreak, i was really worried and i remembered having to restore a lot of times but now i cant imagine my iPhone without a jailbreak. My point is, its always good to try something new, as long as u know what you're doing so read some articles about it and then try it don't give up just because of a small antivirus warning, since jailbreaking opens lots of new options for the iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back2thebeatof84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    This +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

If you use ClamAV and you jailbreak your phone and you don't understand enough that evasi0n is not a virus then please stay away from jailbreaking. Neither ClamAV or evasi0n is for those that can't use common sense. Using second rate av and freaking out because they think evasi0n is a virus both a blessing and idiocy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckerbear For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (02-14-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default seriously?
    Ok, you obviously must know............How does it work?
    I, personally think it's magic

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been infected by evasi0n for the better

*T*
    Thanks

Because they think they're "cool."

Thanks

Personally I miss the days when jailbreaks involved 20 steps. It kept the [insert adjective here] people away. They then clutter up the forums.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I am nowhere near a guru on this stuff nor have I ever made a claim to be. My point was that if something such as this is going to scare you away from jailbreaking then obviously you don't have enough care to do any research on the topic and if that's the case then, yes, you probably should not jailbreak your iOS device.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The question I want to ask...has anyone here actually analyzed the source code for the evasi0n tool? For all we know...it COULD be malware. We don't know for sure until we see the source and allow an IT foresics check on it. I am an IT Professional, and when I see reports from my AV telling me something may be a threat, or when my AV points something out...I take notice and listen.

I trust nobody...and the evasi0n team has nothing, EXCEPT the fact they are known in a niche community, to validate their claims that their tool is 100% clean.
    Last edited by Simon; 02-17-2013 at 10:16 AM.