+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Seeking Fix for Blurry iPhone Pics

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It's a phenomenon we've all experienced: blurry iPhone pics - usually, when we're actually trying to capture a memory of lasting value. Aware of this commonplace occurrence, Apple is purportedly
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Seeking Fix for Blurry iPhone Pics

It's a phenomenon we've all experienced: blurry iPhone pics - usually, when we're actually trying to capture a memory of lasting value.

Aware of this commonplace occurrence, Apple is purportedly working on a fix for fuzzy images captured by the otherwise high-quality cameras built into our iDevices. This much is evident in a new patent filing by Apple coming to light this week.

Details gleaned from a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filing show that Apple is working on a method by which iPhones will capture a series of images within a single snapshot to determine which image is the highest quality of the bunch, based on a number of variables factored into the equation.
    The method can include storing a predetermined number of the sequence of images in a buffer. The device can receive a user request to capture an image. The method can automatically select one of the buffered images based on one or more parameters. For example, the selection may be based on an exposure time of one of the buffered images and optionally an image quality parameter (e.g., image contrast). Alternatively, the selection may be based only on the image quality parameter.
    While it remains to be seen if and how Apple will implement this technology in the next-gen iPhone, the filing was made by Apple in October of 2012. As a result, the timing may be right for the improved image capturing capabilities to turn up on the next iPhone refresh.

Source: USPTO

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Camera isn't much cop in iPhones anyway. They should keep up with others.

Thanks
    Apple should consider letting us do manual-focus aswell.
    Auto-focus is a bit noobish.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wait, what? Why? I've yet to take one blurry photo on my 4S...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

Details gleaned from a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filing show that Apple is working on a method by which iPhones will capture a series of images within a single snapshot to determine which image is the highest quality of the bunch.
    Amazing... I thought that this "multiple shot and select the best" was a feature already available since quite some time on Samsung Galaxy S phones (at least these ones...)

So please, Apple, don't call it an "amazing feature" on your next phones...

And yes, I have an iPhone...
    Last edited by blueaviator; 02-14-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yet another patent for something Samsung already implements in their galaxy phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Wait, what? Why? I've yet to take one blurry photo on my 4S...
    Same here, but on iPhone 5 . I can't remember ever getting a blurry picture . At least not from a scenario that was obviously my fault.

I agree manual focus should be implemented next.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

People will ALWAYS complain about something. I'm just glad apple fixed the battery drain that the 4s had.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Never really had a problem with my camera, and I take a ton of pictures

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

So their new camera concept will be like a DVR and will start recording images when you open the camera app and then discard all of the "bad" stuff after you have taken the picture and the iPhone has determined the "best" picture to keep. If they make the phone bigger they will have to increase the size of the battery for all of this extra processing that will be required.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post
    If you're jailbroken, you can already fix it. Install iGotYa and disable power-off on the lock screen. Those poor folks with non-jailbroken, stock iOS 6.1 ;-)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Honestly, the cameras built in to the phones aren't very good, they can't be simply due to how small they must be.

That being said, I generally only get blurry images when the camera lens is dirty, which happens a lot with the phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blagger69 View Post
    Camera isn't much cop in iPhones anyway. They should keep up with others.
    Are you serious? What phones have a better camera? The iPhone still has one of the top 3 cameras in the industry as far as smartphones goes. If you have proof otherwise, I'd be very interested to see it.

As far as the article goes, this "patent" they are filing for seems a little suspect considering that I believe Samsung and Windows have something similar to this already, but I think that Samsung's software expects a user selection as opposed to an auto-selection. I could be wrong though.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post
    Apple should consider letting us do manual-focus aswell.
    Auto-focus is a bit noobish.
    I agree. I'd love to be able to manually adjust the focus and exposure instead of only auto and tap to focus.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Never had a problem with the camera. I think it takes great pictures!

Thanks

Default camera
    Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    Are you serious? What phones have a better camera? The iPhone still has one of the top 3 cameras in the industry as far as smartphones goes. If you have proof otherwise, I'd be very interested to see it.

As far as the article goes, this "patent" they are filing for seems a little suspect considering that I believe Samsung and Windows have something similar to this already, but I think that Samsung's software expects a user selection as opposed to an auto-selection. I could be wrong though.
    I totally agree with you. I've even got some awards at local art galleries for the pictures I've clicked on a 5 megapixel Iphone 4 camera. you just need to right app for the job. (not instagram please. its the most over rated app around)

Thanks

I think iPhone 5 camera is good. iPhone's photo's are of excellent quality regardless of the lighting. it has better image processing feature also.