+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Addresses OLED, Bigger iPhone Screens in Tuesday GS Keynote

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Tim Cook Addresses OLED, Bigger iPhone Screens in Tuesday GS Keynote

Blasting OLED screens as “awful,” Apple CEO Tim Cook certainly spoke his mind this morning during a keynote address at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet conference.

“When you look at displays, some people are focused on size. There’s a few other things about the display that are important. Some people use OLED displays, the color saturation is awful," Cook said today. "The Retina display is twice as bright as an OLED display. I only bring these points up to say there are many attributes to the display, and what Apple does is sweat every detail. We care about all of them and we want the best display, and I think we’ve got it."

Tell us how you really feel, Mr. Cook.

Despite his unabashed condor on OLED, Cook was more reserved in his remarks when discussing the perceived market demand for larger smartphones (specifically, smartphones like the iPhone, only with a larger display). "I don't want to say what we will do or won't do," Cook stated, surprising some that he left the door so wide open regarding a possible Apple "phablet."

"We put a lot of thinking into screen size," he added, doing little to squelch rumors that Apple is presently building a larger iPhone. "And believe me, we've picked the right one."

Notwithstanding Cook's keynote declaration that he's "not going to talk about what we're going to do in the future," Cook may have told us everything we need to know about Apple's current line of thinking with regard to two key issues: OLED is "awful" and the prospect for an iPhone model with a larger screen certainly hasn't been ruled out.

Source: Barron's

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I want Apple to release a bigger screen model just so everyone can stop complaining about it...it's time we move on!
    El Zurdo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Personally, I don't see the need for a larger screen. I actually like the smaller screen of the 4S more than the taller iPhone 5 screen. But I seem to be in the minority on this topic.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to necktweaker For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (02-12-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by necktweaker View Post
    Personally, I don't see the need for a larger screen. I actually like the smaller screen of the 4S more than the taller iPhone 5 screen. But I seem to be in the minority on this topic.
    I agree smaller was better

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iPodTouch149 For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (02-12-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Add me to the minority, I'm fine with the iPhone 5 screen, yes even the 4S.......if I want a bigger screen I get out my iPad Mini. I don't want a phone that is that big and bulky....it looks really stupid to see someone with the "you know what-note" holding it up to their face. keep this trend up and I can get my old "Cellular One Back Pack phone" out from the basement and use that.

Thanks

I want a bigger screen but not a bigger device.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    Add me to the minority, I'm fine with the iPhone 5 screen, yes even the 4S.......if I want a bigger screen I get out my iPad Mini. I don't want a phone that is that big and bulky....it looks really stupid to see someone with the "you know what-note" holding it up to their face. keep this trend up and I can get my old "Cellular One Back Pack phone" out from the basement and use that.
    There has been a lot of usability put into the size of the current iPhone screens. People don't understand this. You should see my wife with her small hands trying to use a smartphone with a larger screen... she can't one-hand it... she has to start using both her hands. The iPhones size is such that you can easily hold it in one hand and control it with that one hand. Even with my larger hands I find the larger form factor and screens of some of the larger smartphones just are not comfortable to use with one hand.

It's a trade off, and one that Apple has chosen deliberately... it's not a decision that was just hap-hazardly made.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPodTouch149 View Post
    I agree smaller was better
    I never wanted a larger screen, but I have to admit I like the 4", tall display.
    That being said, I still would be happy with only a 3.5". In my opinion it is a perfect size.

Wow, Tim isn't quite the same type of public speaker Jobs was is he? Certainly speaks his mind. We'll never have to worry what he ISN'T saying!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    I want a bigger screen but not a bigger device.
    Lol. Doesn't everybody?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    I am just curious based on what you wrote. Is the only reason you don't want a bigger screen because you are worried other people will think you look stupid, the way you look at people with a Note? Just thought it was interesting.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that it is odd that just because other vendors are going big, that Apple has to go big to compete. I like the taller aspect of the iPhone 5, but still like the slimmer width. Apple will do what Apple will do and people need to re-adjust their expectations.

Thanks

Tim Cook doesn't appear to understand Apples own words.

"The Retina display is twice as bright as an OLED display."
    Apple claim what make a retina display retina is the PPI, so you could have a retina OLED display.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    Despite his unabashed condor
    I hope you meant candor...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can certainly see them making a phablet. I say make both and let people choose which one they want. Just by looking at this picture it makes me think it could happen. That's just more money in their pocket. Why not? Analyst: Apple is ‘leaving money on the table’ by not pursuing phablets

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i would absolutely love a iphone with a display of 5" or 5.5" droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by necktweaker View Post
    I completely agree.i prefer the 4s and below screens. The 5 screen really isn't bigger, just longer. Stupid idea. I'm hoping the 6 will actually have a bigger screen. That's why I'm not sticking to what I wanted (waiting for 5s) and just skipping up to the 6.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    I hope you meant candor...
    Maybe he has a condor? With that kind of money u can buy just about anything.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwraw8482 For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (02-13-2013)

*T*
    Thanks

Stop saying phablet! It doesn't matter who started it, just end it now!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to *T* For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (02-13-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,092 Times in 6,246 Posts

I like the size of the screen as it is ergonomically perfect!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L0giX View Post
    i would absolutely love a iphone with a display of 5" or 5.5" droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
    For real, I'm somewhat of a giant and the iPhone is just like a kids toy to me, my note 2 is practically the size of a normal phone for me. I think im one of the only people on this planet that can use the note 2 functionally with one hand.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd prefer a larger screen, but I will admit that I have abnormally large hands