Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Pays Apple $1 Billion Annually for iOS Default Search

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Google Pays Apple $1 Billion Annually for iOS Default Search

According to a new report from Morgan Stanley analyst Scott Devitt, Google is more than willing to pay a pretty penny if it means retaining its dominant 95% share of the mobile search market.

Notwithstanding the epic rivalry of their warring mobile operating systems, Android-maker Google pays iOS-maker Apple an estimated $1 billion per year. Devitt says Apple collects the enormous sum in return for keeping Google the search default on all iOS devices.

In the past, some analysts have estimated that Apple has a revenue sharing deal with Google on iOS search. So that for every one dollar of search advertising collected on an iOS gadget, Apple gets 75 cents.
    Devitt, however, doesn't think a revenue sharing deal with Google is in place “because it’s too messy” in terms of Apple's preferred method of doing business.

“He [Devitt] thinks Apple would do a fee per device because it’s easier for accounting and it gives Apple upfront payments,” Jay Yarow of Business Insider reports. “It’s also a hedge against users going to Google.com and searching from there instead of the default search box on iOS.”

Source: BI

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I never go on google.com. I always use spotlight or the top right box on safari. Google is my default search engine.

Matter of fact, I don't even use google.com as my homepage on my desktop. I use the New Tab page as homepage. I can still type in the address bar and search google without actually going to google.com.

This is why Google puts out their own OS.

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I never go on google.com. I always use spotlight or the top right box on safari. Google is my default search engine.

Matter of fact, I don't even use google.com as my homepage on my desktop. I use the New Tab page as homepage. I can still type in the address bar and search google without actually going to google.com.
    I too live the thug life.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anonymous For This Useful Post:

Mrteacup (02-11-2013), Tony9592 (02-11-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

Google is so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    This is why Google puts out their own OS.
    I guarantee google at least cuts even with the tons of ads and web popularity from iOS. Honestly have you seen the chats I think it's 83% of all mobile web traffic is ios