+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Forbes Profiles Evasi0n's Impact on Jailbreaking

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Forbes Profiles Evasi0n's Impact on Jailbreaking

Everyone is talking about Evasion, including Forbes, the venerable business and financial publication that can't ignore how Apple has been "hit with the largest mass-hacking incident in its history."

Forbes' writer Andy Greenberg is referring, naturally, to Evasi0n, which has now been used by close to seven million iDevice owners since the eagerly-anticipated tool was finally released. Central to the Forbes piece is Jay Freeman, who reports that Cydia has already been visited by 5.15 million iPhones, 1.35 million iPads, and 400,000 iPod touches jailbroken with evasi0n.

Freeman tells Forbes that one of the paramount reasons for the historic surge in jailbreaking this week (apart from the fact that more iDevices are now in circulation than at any other time in history) is the pent-up anticipation that preceded Evasi0n's arrival.

As Freeman explained, 136 days is the time it took to crack iOS 6.1. When you consider the 98-day wait for the iPhone 4S, 38-day wait for the iPhone 4, and a meager 14-days for the iPhone 3GS, it becomes crystal clear why Apple users rushed to Evasi0n when the moment of truth finally came.

“That’s what made this such a landmark jailbreak,” Freeman explains. “It had been so long and we were all so hungry for it.” Fortunately, he adds, the next jailbreak probably won't take so long. There's nearly another full jailbreak worth of research already in the hopper and being kept in reserve for the next iPhone.

Source: Forbes

Thanks

7 million in 4 days? RIDICULOUS!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to punjabi212 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (02-08-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    7 million in 4 days? RIDICULOUS!!!
    Now if everyone who benefitted from it donated $1 .... These guys spend many hours working on this stuff, a little financial incentive isnt a bad thing. I know they dont ask for it, which is awesome, but all the people who enjoy it, why not support it... I dropped $10 day of release...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NOYB111 For This Useful Post:

Mrteacup (02-08-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I agree! I threw them $10 - prob the best 10 I ever spent. Support these guys - we all benefit.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

That is crazy! It's good to see such high numbers for evasi0n and for Jailbreaking! It's nice to have some attention from the media as well! Hopefully this will continue to grow with each release!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post
    Now if everyone who benefitted from it donated $1 .... These guys spend many hours working on this stuff, a little financial incentive isnt a bad thing. I know they dont ask for it, which is awesome, but all the people who enjoy it, why not support it... I dropped $10 day of release...
    It would be interesting to see exactly how much money they made from donations and ads on evasi0n.com in the last week.

It also would be entertaining to see @ion1c have a conniption after those numbers are released.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AUZambo For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (02-08-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I wonder how that jailbreak number would be effected if Apple made Activator & SBSettings native functions. Maybe i'm mistaken, but it seems like just those 2 features would make most common jailbreakers happy.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not trying to deem this null because it is a huge success for the jailbreak community, but the main reason it's so huge isn't new users as much as the fact so many devices are supported on iOS 6. This is the first time 4 generations have been supported for an iOS

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I will donate after I finish paying for all of the stupid priced updates for tweaks. What bill s**t. How can I be charged 6$ just to use intelliscreen x on iOS 6?

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple should just offer the dev team 5 million for the unreleased exploit. Problem solved.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JedixJarf For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (02-08-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I donated and bought a few new tweaks, and upgrade fee for intelliscreenx. It makes my iPhone 5 feel like a brand new phone especially the theming. But wow 7 Million i sure do hope people can at least donate a buck on average to these guys.

Thanks

I donated 10.00. Well worth it. I've done spent 15 or 20 on apps/tweaks. So yea it's a money train. Choo. Choo.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Donated five. Awesome work!

Thanks

How do you like them apples... Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Apple should just offer the dev team 5 million for the unreleased exploit. Problem solved.
    Whatever happened to the Shatter exploit? Is that the one you're talking about?

Do they still have that in their back pocket?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Whatever happened to the Shatter exploit? Is that the one you're talking about?

Do they still have that in their back pocket?
    shatter was patched by Apple a while ago

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I will donate after I finish paying for all of the stupid priced updates for tweaks. What bill s**t. How can I be charged 6$ just to use intelliscreen x on iOS 6?

Me too, at least Airplane Toggle is asking for a discretionary donation. I'm willing to toss in, but my current financial status prevents me. It's hard when gas goes up to 4 bucks, everything else goes up too.

But I understand these people worked their arses off to get us this JB, so ill toss up once I get my monthly bills dealt with.

But what it comes down to bottom line, app devs have to make sure their app works not just on a iPhone 3G, 4, 4S.. But now iPhone 5 and 5S's. so that's a lot of work they have to do so the package can span across all of those, not to mention iPads and apple TVs.
    Last edited by XweAponX; 02-08-2013 at 02:17 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'd be shocked if the Cydia team didn't help finance the JB team.. their revenue stream is pretty slow between jailbreaks.

Thanks

not to be a one-upper, but i paypal'd them $50 this morning (jb'd an iPad 3, two 4s's, two mini's, and an iPod, so it was the least i could do).

actually, i guess i kinda forty-upped you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    That would be good for both apple and the evad3rs, however the jailbreak community would really suffer though...