Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Screen Extender' Forces Apps to Fill the iPhone 5 Screen, Free With Drawbacks

Default 'Screen Extender' Forces Apps to Fill the iPhone 5 Screen, Free With Drawbacks

Wednesday afternoon we showed you FullForce for iPhone, a tweak by Ryan Petrich that stretches legacy applications to the full height of the four-inch display for the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5G. However, FullForce for iPhone did have a price tag of 99. A similar tweak was also released today called Screen Extender, and it’s free, by iOS developer rcm.

As shown above, Screen Extender will give you a similar result to FullForce for iPhone. The tweak will make the older iPhone 4/4S applications fill the letterboxed regions of the larger display so it seems like the application has iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5G display support. Both FullForce for iPhone and Screen Extender do this well.

The major differences in Screen Extender, when compared to FullForce for iPhone, is that with Screen Extender you have to respring every time you make changes to the Settings for the tweak, and Screen Extender won’t alert you when you’re about to open a legacy application and ask you if you want to enable the stretched version.

In addition, the preferences pane uses a different style from FullForce for iPhone, allowing users to select appliationss that they want to enable and disable for the stretching, rather than how FullForce for iPhone lets users toggle on and off switches for applications they want to enable and disable for the stretching:

Personally, I find the thought of having to respring every time to be daunting. I would rather have FullForce for iPhone because I can enable and disable applications on the fly. It’s also nice how when you download applications that don’t support the display, FullForce for iPhone will ask you if you want to enable stretching, without having to inconvenience you to visit the settings and enable stretching like you have to in Screen Extender.

Screen Extender is free, however, so if you can deal with some of the inconveniences for the advantage of not having to pay anything, then you can get by just fine using Screen Extender. It is available right now in the BigBoss repository.

Name: Screen Extender
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-2
    Requirements: iPhone 5 or iPod touch 5G
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: rcm
    Editor's Rating:  3/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-06-2013 at 02:39 PM.

That's the only draw back that's not even a big problem

just tried this app on my iphone 5, it doesn't work

All it does is put a big black block on top lol.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
    Same here. All it did was shift the 3 or 3.5" display area up for me and left a gray/black bar at the bottom of the iphone 5 screen. I guess you get what you "pay" for on dis hahaha.

Default Enable via Settings then Respring
    Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
    That's because you have to respring each time you enable an app to be fullscreen. I don't think I care enough to do this every time!

Yeah apparently this is kind of buggy.

I personally didn't experience any of these bugs when I tried it, however.

I really recommend Ryan Petrich's FullForce for iPhone. It's much more solid.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sakyr's Avatar
    Thanks

Works really well! Wouldn't call a respring a draw back.... It does what it's supposed to and it's free.

It doesn't work on my iPhone 4! Lol jk

I tried it... Doesn't work right. Causes apps to crash or glitch beyond usage... Guess I better cough up that buck for fullforce lol

Full force is well worth the money it works perfect

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Useful articles: much appreciated!

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried the free one, and while GrindR was stetched, when I tried to tap on the text box at the bottom to chat, the keyboard wouldn't pop up. I uninstalled it, and I can get the keyboard to work again finally. (but no more stretch) I'd be happy to try to paid one if maybe works better? (or will it have the same result?)

Quote Originally Posted by irvinrivas83 View Post
    That's the only draw back that's not even a big problem
    No, the biggest drawback is that there's virtually no support available for screen extender, versus FullForce, which is handled much more professionally and elegantly.

Neither worked for ascension or penny arcade, but I was able to, in the span of 20 seconds, leave a compatibility report for them both to be reviewed. And on top of that, there is a list of apps and games that are compatible.

Knowing how hard Petrich worked to support his previous apps, I think it's safe to say that this is a dollar well spent.

Thanks

Idk how this would work for games such as, say, Angry Birds. What about vjay? Stretched apps aren't very attractive in my opinion