+ Reply
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ten Wonderful iPhone 5-Compatible Jailbreak Tweaks We Love

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I used to keep Firewall IP on my list...until I read a comment by the author, and read that comment referred to in articles with nary a question as to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Make that 9 - Firewall IP - Fail!
    I used to keep Firewall IP on my list...until I read a comment by the author, and read that comment referred to in articles with nary a question as to why.

I'm talking about the hardcoded whitelist that lists addresses that Firewall IP is to allow automatically.

This is what I call 'tainted software'.

Pulled from an article :

"Cydia and RockApp are excluded for obvious reasons"

What reasons might those be?

I use Cydia, and devs get a fair amount of money from me, why should I have to look at ads there if I don't want to? Why is someone else deciding for me? What makes the author feel it's ok? $$$ what else.

Nevermind that all those ads add loading time and who knows what else (errors, timeouts, etc) when launching Cydia.

I wonder how well this app would have done if the author had told Cydia, BigBoss, and anybody else that his program would allow anyone to block all of their ads as well...not far.

And they aren't the only 2. SBSettings (seems most of the problems stem from apps available through the BigBoss repository, big surprise there) is another, I'm sure there are more.

I'd understand it if there were free/paid versions and the free version behaved this way, but for something I paid for to not act and behave the way I want and expect it to just annoys me. Also find it rather interesting that the author also sells an ad blocking program...not sure why I'd need both but whatever...I digress.

Others have found workarounds to block those hardcoded ads, which should be enough of a hint to do something about it but no, the author refuses.

So what happens now? Whispers and passing comments turn into discussions, discussions lead to programming research, and now...there is at least chatter that a new firewall app is being written that will not only have no built in exclusion list, but will address some of the other shortcomings of Firewall IP such as automatic downloading and merging of popular blocklists, a more detailed filter screen, and some sort of stealth ability for those sites that won't function if/when ads are blocked (admittedly I got lost in the discussion at this point, I'm no programmer).

It's almost like Apple and jailbreaking. Apple won't let people do what they want to do on devices they own, so jailbreaking becomes a solution and thrives. This program isn't allowing users to do what they *expect* it to be able to do, so people start looking for alternatives or workarounds.

When are software devs going to accept that if they don't give people what they want from their software (expected functionality without exceptions or strings), those people will look elsewhere and/or find a way to do it anyways.

I just hope the rumored firewall app is more than just talk. I'd gladly pay for such an app (and say goodbye to Firewall IP).

Sorry for the rant, I actually tried to post this elsewhere, but it got deleted (1 deleted, 1 was not approved for posting). I just had to speak my mind.

Peace.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

For tethering use PDAnet. The developer emailed me their repo which is http://pdanet.co/ to download 6.1 which is working for me on my iphone 5. I love it because it hides my tethering whichever is beautiful.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gonkowonko View Post
    i think AUXO is amazing but noticed a massive battery drain on my ip5 6.1 So had to uninstall it.
    Same here. massive drain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,721 Times in 4,404 Posts

Me too. Got rid of it. Massive battery drain AND Ram hog.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What kind of tweak I could use to make icons rotate? I used Motion before but its not compatible with ios6.1 yet. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

A developer of a popular theme-set is exclaiming the same thing

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Me too. Got rid of it. Massive battery drain AND Ram hog.
    1GB seems like plenty. No lag whatsoever on iPhone 5 no matter how many tweaks I load onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    What kind of tweak I could use to make icons rotate? I used Motion before but its not compatible with ios6.1 yet. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    IconRotator from Ryan Petrich's beta repo?
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-08-2013 at 03:14 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Isn't 5 gb + "whatever" = Unlimited. Nobody said full speed. We are talking about unlimited data.
    5 gb + "whatever" does not equal unlimited. It works out at approximately 24 Gb per month. This assumes 5 Gb downloaded on day 1 of your monthly billing cycle, and 24/7 downloading at 56kbit/s for the remaining 30 days of the month, assuming a perfect cellular signal for the uninterrupted download during the entire remainder of the month. This is a lot of data, but it's not "unlimited" as marketed by AT&T. (It's also a lot less than some folks claimed to be using back in the days before throttling!)

BTW, PDANet has been updated for iOS 6 and is available now in Cydia. It's the only tethering app that masks the device's UA and screensize (you will certainly notice the effect that Level II hiding has while browsing the internet on your laptop). TetherMe is slightly more convenient to use than PDANet, but PDANet might (?) give you some extra peace of mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    5 gb + "whatever" does not equal unlimited. It works out at approximately 24 Gb per month. This assumes 5 Gb downloaded on day 1 of your monthly billing cycle, and 24/7 downloading at 56kbit/s for the remaining 30 days of the month, assuming a perfect cellular signal for the uninterrupted download during the entire remainder of the month. This is a lot of data, but it's not "unlimited" as marketed by AT&T. (It's also a lot less than some folks claimed to be using back in the days before throttling!)
    Technically by that theory unlimited is limited no more if you get throttled or not. Because even at full speed, you can only download so much.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Technically by that theory unlimited is limited no more if you get throttled or not. Because even at full speed, you can only download so much.
    True, but there's a huge difference between 24 Gb and 100 Tb (that you could, in theory, transfer with unlimited/unfettered/unimpeded LTE in a month). I'm simply stating the obvious, which is that AT&T's unlimited data actually isn't. A 56 kbit/s rate cripples a phone to the point where you can do little more than email. I sincerely hope you weren't trying to defend AT&T?!?

Thanks

True, but there's a huge difference between 24 Gb and 100 Tb (that you could, in theory, transfer with unlimited/unfettered/unimpeded LTE in a month). I'm simply stating the obvious, which is that AT&T's unlimited data actually isn't. A 56 kbit/s rate cripples a phone to the point where you can do little more than email. I sincerely hope you weren't trying to defend AT&T?!?
    Haha no, I have an unlimited plan too for AT&T. But they do screw people over.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"WinterBoard was just recently updated for both iOS 6 and the A6 CPU, so WinterBoard is fully compatible with the iPhone 5. Themes, on the other hand, vary in success, as not all of them have been updated to work on iOS 6 or the iPhone 5 just yet. The theme pictured above is Elite Pro HD. WinterBoard is available for free in the main Cydia repository."

"is fully compatible." !!???

You should test it yourself before making a comment like this!
    The icons return back to the Originals within the folders on your home wall's.
    So the icons within the Themes doesn't work after you open the folder once.
    Using 6.1 and has been like this even since 6.0...

Dose anyone know how to fix this or do we have to wait till WinterBoard comes out with a update?
    Thanks ahead for any help!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
    Same here. I switched to PDANet when I found out that AT&T could possibly detect MyWi, but PDANet doesn't seem to work with iOS 6.1.
    PDANET has been updated ,,,,, I am using the app, tethering from my i5 to my iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I agree the PdaNet project seems dead. They haven't responded to emails in some time either. That's too bad- it's been great for me under 5.1.1 and was always more stable for me than MyWi. Guess I'll try TetherMe as well.

Kupe
    PDANET has been updated and working great ,,, Im using it now
    Last edited by lizzy954; 02-09-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Elizabeth

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lizzy954 View Post
    PDANET has been updated ,,,,, I am using the app, tethering from my i5 to my iPad 2

PDANET has been updated and working great ,,, Im using it now
    Thanks but I stick with TetherMe more safer from ATT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    Thanks but I stick with TetherMe more safer from ATT
    I love TetherMe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

bisayakid07 (02-09-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gonkowonko View Post
    i think AUXO is amazing but noticed a massive battery drain on my ip5 6.1 So had to uninstall it.
    It's a shame, because some of the features in Auxo are very neat (like being able to tap and hold to get to the settings location for WiFi or
    bluetooth). Unfortunately, this is one very buggy package right now. Bad memory leaks, the brightness slider is almost impossible to use and it stops your bluetooth devices from pairing (I don't want to have to respring into safe mode every time I need to pair a bluetooth device!). I also uninstalled and won't be re-installing this one, no matter how many updates A3tweaks come up with. Lost faith in this one.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,721 Times in 4,404 Posts

It's a shame, because some of the features in Auxo are very neat (like being able to tap and hold to get to the settings location for WiFi or
    bluetooth). Unfortunately, this is one very buggy package right now. Bad memory leaks, the brightness slider is almost impossible to use and it stops your bluetooth devices from pairing (I don't want to have to respring into safe mode every time I need to pair a bluetooth device!). I also uninstalled and won't be re-installing this one, no matter how many updates A3tweaks come up with. Lost faith in this one.
    Yeah. It was a big let down. Promised much and delivered much - but also delivered mucho buggy-ness.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yeah. It was a big let down. Promised much and delivered much - but also delivered mucho buggy-ness.
    Like what? Auxo appears to be rock-solid.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,058 Times in 6,934 Posts

I have had zero problems with Auxo on my iPhone 5.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Try removing or pairing to a Bluetooth device with Auxo installed.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast