+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Facing Pressure to Make 'Bigger iPhone'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
As Wall Street continues to climb back toward heights not seen since October 2007, shares of Apple aren't caught up in the momentum. As of this writing, shares continue to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Facing Pressure to Make 'Bigger iPhone'

As Wall Street continues to climb back toward heights not seen since October 2007, shares of Apple aren't caught up in the momentum. As of this writing, shares continue to hover at or around $450 - an abysmal price considering where the stock was trading (north of $700) just a few short months ago.

"The big question we get from investors is whether the greatest turnaround and growth story of the past decade is over?" asks Sterne Agee's Shaw Wu in a note to investors released this morning. Wu, however, didn't wait long to answer his own question.`

In short, Wu doesn't believe Apple's best days are over, but that more needs to be done for the company to recapture its lost "mojo." For starters, Apple needs to creatively modify some of its leading products.

"We believe AAPL is leaving money on the table by not participating in larger touchscreen form factors," Wu writes. "But more importantly, we believe AAPL needs to reclaim high-end leadership as that is what brand is about. Sure, iOS, iTunes and the App Store are great, but it is clear that many customers want larger screens."

"In many markets, the 4.8- inch (Samsung Galaxy S III) to 5.55-inch (Galaxy Note II) form factors are the new high-end of the market where the iPhone 5 is viewed as mid-range but with a high-end price."
    Pressure has, unquestionably, mounted in recent months on Apple to expand its iPhone line - either with a cheaper, entry-level model or with a larger so-called "phablet" style iPhone. But the Cupertino, California-based tech giant isn't giving any indication as to whether this "pressure" may actually be influencing the company's plans.

Source: Fortune

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt this will happen.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think the phone needs to be bigger. My guess is with Ives working on the software and the hardware now the next iPhone will be incredible!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneprofile View Post
    i doubt this will happen.
    i second that!

iPhone? More like MyPhone rukavuda's Avatar
    Thanks

Doesn't need to be bigger
    I had an s3 and found it too big personally
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9020/gagaxq.jpg

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    I doubt this will happen.
    i agree apple tends to march to the beat of their own drum and what they want to do. the only one that presssures them one way or the other is themselves. they have always shown us what they think we need and its has worked for millions of us in the past so im sure they know what their doing. and with Johnny Ive running the show on the whole design end im sure we will be impressed once again when the next iphone is announced

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rukavuda View Post
    Doesn't have to be a 4.8+ size. An ideal size would be around what the Motorola RAZR line is.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    . they have always shown us what they think we need and its has worked for millions of us in the past so im sure they know what their doing. and with Johnny Ive running the show on the whole design end im sure we will be impressed once again when the next iphone is announced
    More and more people are being exposed to the larger screen size and are finding that they prefer it. For reading news, etc. the larger screen is preferable. I hate having to carry my tablet with me to comfortably read.
    Last edited by Tperry; 02-05-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    i agree apple tends to march to the beat of their own drum and what they want to do. the only one that presssures them one way or the other is themselves. they have always shown us what they think we need and its has worked for millions of us in the past so im sure they know what their doing. and with Johnny Ive running the show on the whole design end im sure we will be impressed once again when the next iphone is announced
    While I like my iPhone 5, I haven't been really impressed since the 4 came out. The 4s was just a processor refresh and the 5 wasn't as impressive as the S3.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SAVAGE5's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't feel like a holding a book up to my ear personally. Or having a notebook on my hip, much less a notepad in my pocket.
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SAVAGE5 For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (02-06-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't need a bigger screen, I would rather see a change in the UI. It's been pretty much the same thing since 2007 besides the Icons becoming crystal clear with the retina display.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 2,038 Posts

the 4s had siri..... unless the 5s has something that is really cool that they dont give the 5 i dont see myself getting it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rukavuda View Post
    i think 4,7 would be the perfect iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Bigger!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I don't think the phone needs to be bigger. My guess is with Ives working on the software and the hardware now the next iPhone will be incredible!
    I do think it needs to be bigger and so does everyone I talk to at work! Especially the galaxy s3 owners are always clowning!
    I do agree about the software though!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys are missing the point. Have any of you actually used an Android phone? Sure, some of the hardware out there is really nice and I personally would love a huge full-HD OLED screen on my phone. Regardless, the real point to consider is the OS. Android is not intuitive, at all. As an example, my parents are both older and they couldn't tell Android's head from its tail. Both, on the other hand, were able to figure out the iPhone in short order. That's why the screen doesn't matter.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

GrumpySod (02-05-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone SAVAGE5's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung is garbage and plastic. Android is annoying and ugly UI. Trying to hold a Note/Note2 is like trying to hold a bible and texting one handed is almost impossble.
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAVAGE5 For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (02-06-2013), GrumpySod (02-05-2013), LudaChris (02-05-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

the problem with apple is that they dont care what the consumer thinks and now they are getting a backlash just look at their stock they are turning people off themselves

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barryson77 View Post
    i think 4,7 would be the perfect iphone
    agreed!!!!

Thanks

Not sure why Apple is feeling anything. They are still at the forefront of mobile technology. It wasn't too many years ago that they rocked us with the iPhone. Now that competition has heated up, making a bigger iPhone is the answer? NOPE..i don't think so. I like being able to pull my phone out of my pocket and answering it in time..haha. I mean those Androids are huge..for no other reason than to have something "different" to offer than the current iPhone's. Bigger is not always better. We all want small laptops but huge smart phones?? Go get a tablet and stop the tears. I like my 3.5" screen and did not upgrade to the iPhone 5 cause of its size. Its NOT NEEDED.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nyyankees View Post
    the problem with apple is that they dont care what the consumer thinks and now they are getting a backlash just look at their stock they are turning people off themselves
    Didn't realize there was a problem with Apple. They always release things we didn't know we wanted and their sales have just increased year over year. The problem is that Record sales or profit don't determine stock price, but people who have no clue about the future products a company releases or blind expectations on what a company should do because they think their an expert in the field. I recall the day everyone everywhere was saying the iPhone, and iPad were jokes because they were too expensive and or just a larger iPod. Every time they are doubted they seem to prove their point with record sold devices, sales and profit. Doesn't matter what apple does because their stock price is determined by people that don't know what they want.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

if they come out with a bigger phone then samsung should sue them according to apples own logic...