+ Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Springtomize 2 Gets iOS 6 Support, New Features, Free Upgrade for Existing Owners

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Here's a great lesson for us to read on the topic that will explain the challenge of RAM allocation even after improvements in iOS5. Read here: http://inaka.net/blog/2011/09/05/mem...nges-on-ios-5/ Originally Posted by
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,702 Times in 4,395 Posts

Here's a great lesson for us to read on the topic that will explain the challenge of RAM allocation even after improvements in iOS5.

Read here:
    http://inaka.net/blog/2011/09/05/mem...nges-on-ios-5/

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Sorry, but Pinoy suffers from the old school thinking also that you need all this extra ram to be efficient. Sorry bud.

I don't need to do reading, I have and I fully understand how it works. Try reading the apple specs on this and you will be amazed.

Telling me that I am wrong just to say that I am wrong is childish. I am going by what the specs are for apple not what I think. How could I make this up.
    Read some more King. Not just Apple's rhetoric. And pay attention to your own experience when JBen and RAM reads low. It's very measurable what I'm talking about and is discussed all over the web. It's not like you to act like an Apple fanboy.

And please don't ever again insinuate I don't know how my phone works. :-/.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-03-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

King could be very on point with that thought. My methods of keeping my device clean developed way back in the iPhone 3 days. It has become less and less necessary as ram has quadrupled. It's just a process that has stuck with me. I'm a IT guy so for me it's like keeping a clean workstation. Truth is us as modders are respringing and rebooting enough all the time that it probably offers very little if any noticeable affect for us. One thing it does for me though is give me the knowledge how my ram is used. That gives me the ability to truly gauge how much I widgets and LS's are consuming memory. Same theory. A lot of widgets will slow your device down.
    Last edited by Pinoy; 02-03-2013 at 10:07 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinoy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-03-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,815 Times in 6,143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Here's a great lesson for us to read on the topic that will explain the challenge of RAM allocation even after improvements in iOS5.

Read here:
    http://inaka.net/blog/2011/09/05/mem...nges-on-ios-5/

Read some more King. Not just Apple's rhetoric. And pay attention to your own experience when JBen and RAM reads low. It's very measurable what I'm talking about and is discussed all over the web. It's not like you to act like an Apple fanboy.
    Thank you! That proves my point in great detail. Apparently you don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    King could be very on point with that thought. My methods of keeping my device clean developed way back in the iPhone 3 days. It has become less and less necessary as ram has quadrupled. It's just a process that has stuck with me. I'm a IT guy so for me it like keeping a clean workstation. Truth is us as bidders are redo ringing and rebooting enough all the time that it probably offers very little if any noticeable affect for us.
    Thanks bro, I appreciate you being honest.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Pinoy (02-03-2013)

Thanks

Thank you! That proves my point in great detail. Apparently you don't understand it.
    I understand it pretty well. And the author mentions many challenges in developer programming before the phone gets to near crashing stage for lack of RAM. Did you read it all? Apple builds in safeguards so RAM can't go too low. But the phone runs slower the more RAM is active WHEN you're near the cap - which is more possible when JB.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-03-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks

I understand it perfectly. And the author mentions many challenges in developer programming before the phone gets to near crashing stage for lack of RAM. You must have only skimmed the article.
    Yes it does, but that's due to poorly written code that it states apple will refuse apps for. You are trying to read between the lines here. I'm not saying that an app can't get through that doesn't fully comply, but I believe it is rare. This just makes it difficult on programmers to please apple and meet their memory management.

Trust me, there is nothing that you can find to prove me wrong here. This is how it is supposed to work. Stop obsessing over ran usage and let it happen. I've had my ram down below 15 before and not had issues.

I understand it pretty well. And the author mentions many challenges in developer programming before the phone gets to near crashing stage for lack of RAM. Did you read it all? Apple builds in safeguards so RAM can't go too low. But the phone runs slower the more RAM is active WHEN you're near the cap - which is more possible when JB.
    Yes, exactly that there are safeguards built in. How many times have you had apps crash due to low ram?
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

Thanks

Yes it does, but that's due to poorly written code that it states apple will refuse apps for. You are trying to read between the lines here. I'm not saying that an app can't get through that doesn't fully comply, but I believe it is rare. This just makes it difficult on programmers to please apple and meet their memory management.
    Finally a reasonable concession. Good for you! Of course apps, especially JB tweaks don't meet Apple standards for Memory management. What is this whole thread about? A "jailbreak tweak"! Context is everything in these kinds of conversations, King!
    Trust me, there is nothing that you can find to prove me wrong here.
    ABOUT WHAT, Dude? I can show you with your own 4S! You're killing me! You must run next to NO tweaks.
    This is how it is supposed to work. Stop obsessing over ram usage and let it happen.
    I know all about how dynamic allocation of RAM works in iOS. In the JB world we're not dealing with "Apple specs". Ironically this is the very reason Apple doesn't want us to jailbreak. Isn't that funny?!!
    I've had my ram down below 15 before and not had issues.
    With respect, I don't believe you. You'd have to prove that to me with a video.

iOS does not run perfectly with only 15 MB of RAM left. It just doesn't, King. And there's nothing YOU can show me to prove otherwise.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-03-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks

You guys are funny. Tomorrow jailbreak so we can get back to business. You guys are my temporary thread. I just follow you both around. Lol

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinoy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-03-2013), Krima (02-03-2013)

Thanks

Finally a reasonable concession. Good for you! Of course apps, especially JB tweaks don't meet Apple standards for Memory management. What is this whole thread about? A "jailbreak tweak"! Context is everything in these kinds of conversations, King!
    ABOUT WHAT, Dude? I can show you with your own 4S! You're killing me! You must run next to NO tweaks. I know all about how dynamic allocation of RAM works in iOS. In the JB world we're not dealing with "Apple specs". Ironically this is the very reason Apple doesn't want us to jailbreak. Isn't that funny?!! With respect, I don't believe you. You'd have to prove that to me with a video.

iOS does not run perfectly with only 15 MB of RAM left. It just doesn't, King. And there's nothing YOU can show me to prove otherwise.
    I run a fair share of tweaks. Also the reason apple doesn't want us to jailbreak has nothing to do with ram usage. It has everything to do with security, period.

I've only got 75mb right now. That's pretty normal for me. But I have about a dozen apps running in my switcher. Next time I get down around 15, I'll send you a SS.

What do you mean by "run perfectly". That's what you like to do is make these statements that have no real solid footing. This is rather biased, as your perfectly may not be my perfectly. What I refer to is it running within factory specs.

Thanks

I'm done here. . Great discussion. I learned a lot. I always do with King (And Anthony!!!). He sharpens me. I just found out in another thread King's a "coder" for his living. I can't hang with that. Lol!! I'm well read on the topic and have dabbled in code for much of my life all the way back to Assembler and COBOL and Basic. But this new iOS world is something else. What I do know is that jailbreak tweaks are not written to Apple specs. And they can definitely slow down your phone when the ram is low. Period End of Story. Turning off the app switcher helps you get some breathing room back. Thank you Springtomize!!

How's that for getting back to topic. :-)

I bow to your wisdom, King! Peace out!

Next time we chat gents, we'll all be jailbroken again. Woo hoo! I'm heading to bed. Good night!

Thanks

You guys are funny. Tomorrow jailbreak so we can get back to business. You guys are my temporary thread. I just follow you both around. Lol
    I should know better.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Pinoy (02-03-2013)

Thanks

I should know better.
    Oh don't get your panties in a twist - I just paid you a compliment.

Thanks

Oh don't get your panties in a twist - I just paid you a compliment.
    I thought you were going to bed!

Thanks bro! Nighty night!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,523 Times in 2,377 Posts

I do the same thing man. Love them two they r so cute together. I'm with u on the clean workstation thing. I'm a IT guy myself and it has just become habit for me to manage the ram on my phone whether it is necessary or not.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-03-2013), NewdestinyX (02-04-2013), Pinoy (02-03-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    I do the same thing man. Love them two they r so cute together. I'm with u on the clean workstation thing. I'm a IT guy myself and it has just become habit for me to manage the ram on my phone whether it is necessary or not.
    Yup yup brother. I agree. It makes me feel better and that's what matters. Lol

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinoy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-03-2013), NewdestinyX (02-04-2013)

Thanks

Old school dudes! You guys crack me up!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Pinoy (02-03-2013)

Thanks

@King you grab the 5 yet bro? Curious how your liking it.

Old school dudes! You guys crack me up!
    I can live with that. Chuck Taylor's and all. Lol

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinoy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-03-2013)

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

@King you grab the 5 yet bro? Curious how your liking it.
    Too early to ask that! Ask in 11 hours and 4 minutes!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,523 Times in 2,377 Posts

Yup yup brother. I agree. It makes me feel better and that's what matters. Lol
    Hell yeah that's what matters. I love this forum there is so much bravado. This is my only forum I have ever really been apart of so I don't know if this is the norm or if modmyi just brings it out of people. Either way this place is fun.
    Last edited by Krima; 02-03-2013 at 11:00 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-03-2013), Pinoy (02-03-2013)

Thanks

Yeah, picked it up Friday. I did a DFU restore to 6.1 and it is sitting on my desk waiting for JB. Although 2 of my kids have the 5 and I do play with them and I like it a lot. It is so much lighter for one, I love holding it.

Damn, most of that doesn't sound right.

Anyway it is very fast and I love the LTE. I have no complaints. Except for needing a JB to customize it. If I had to run stock, it would have to be a 5.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Pinoy (02-03-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Too early to ask that! Ask in 11 hours and 4 minutes!
    I just mean stock brother. Im Pretty happy with it. It's lightning fast. (Got 48 hrs ago)

Yeah, picked it up Friday. I did a DFU restore to 6.1 and it is sitting on my desk waiting for JB. Although 2 of my kids have the 5 and I do play with them and I like it a lot. It is so much lighter for one, I love holding it.

Damn, most of that doesn't sound right.

Anyway it is very fast and I love the LTE. I have no complaints. Except for needing a JB to customize it. If I had to run stock, it would have to be a 5.
    Ya I agree. Should I restore on comp? I did OTA to get to 6.1! Will that mess with my ability to downgrade in the future FWs?
    Last edited by Pinoy; 02-03-2013 at 11:01 PM.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast