+ Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The evasi0n iOS 6 Jailbreak is 75% Done, Linux Being Worked On, Private Testing Begins

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Does everyone know that Linux and osx are unix programs? They're practically brothers.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Does everyone know that Linux and osx are unix programs? They're practically brothers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

80%...

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,452 Times in 6,379 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I already said that.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,020 Times in 4,527 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    One more question, what will you do after being jailbroken, i mean you basically wont be able to refresh cydia due to the lag :P
    Saurik wonderfully gave us a preload of BigBoss and ModMyi sources with the install of Cydia in the jail break itself - but downloading the tweaks themselves will still get logjammed. This time I'm trying something in an attempt to beat the system.

I've downloaded all the .deb files from Cydia for the 6.1 compatible theme tweaks now. I have them on my Mac ready to load back to my JB'en iP5 after jailbreak thru iFunBox (no SSH necessary). So I'll be up and running with most of my theme tweaks in minutes after JB. Gridlock is not done yet and that's a major buzz kill.. but..

Read about my procedure starting in post #15 here:
    Beat the system- and getting iOS6 tweaks from Cydia now before JB release
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-01-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Saurik wonderfully gave us a preload of BigBoss and ModMyi sources with the install of Cydia in the jail break itself - but downloading the tweaks themselves will still get logjammed. This time I'm trying something in an attempt to beat the system.

I've downloaded all the .deb files from Cydia for the 6.1 compatible theme tweaks now. I have them on my Mac ready to load back to my JB'en iP5 after jailbreak thru iFunBox (no SSH necessary). So I'll be up and running with most of my theme tweaks in minutes after JB. Gridlock is not done yet and that's a major buzz kill.. but..

Read about my procedure starting in post #15 here:
    Beat the system- and getting iOS6 tweaks from Cydia now before JB release
    Did you download all the Dependancy files, too? If not, you won't be up and running like you think. You can't just install .debs if you don't have the Dependancy files first so make sure you're setup w/ those BEFORE you install any tweaks, k!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    I hope they don't make me choose between the Super Bowl and jailbreaking... Or do I?

You don't I plan on bringing my laptop to my neighbor's party and jailbreaking WHILE watching the Super Bowl.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Did you download all the Dependancy files, too? If not, you won't be up and running like you think. You can't just install .debs if you don't have the Dependancy files first so make sure you're setup w/ those BEFORE you install any tweaks, k!
    Now that my friend is a very good point!
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Exactly. Bros. And iOS is the little bro. So unless you're Steve Ballmer, you can't be hating on Linux ;-)

BTW, we're now at 80%...

Thanks

When we download from Cydia a given package the install package contains all the dependency files from what I've read. They're all in the one deb file. Thazsar. I've already tested this with two packages by getting rid of the tweak + dependency files (list of all files installed per tweak is at Cydia) of two apps and then launching the .deb I'd downloaded. The single .deb reloaded the main tweak app or substrate plus the dependencies in both cases. Now maybe I'm misunderstanding the term "dependency" file. But all of us, when we go to get "Gridlock" simply download that one tweak from Cydia. We expect Cydia to install all Gridlock needs to make it work. That's all contained in the one .deb.

Can you give me a particular example of a tweak where you think its .deb won't do that and Ill test it too? Thanks!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-02-2013 at 06:28 AM.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

80% done now

Thanks

When we download from Cydia a given package the install package contains all the dependency files from what I've read. They're all in the one deb file. Thazsar. I've already tested this with two packages by getting rid of the tweak + dependency files (list of all files installed per tweak is at Cydia) of two apps and then launching the .deb I'd downloaded. The single .deb reloaded the main tweak app or substrate plus the dependencies in both cases. Now maybe I'm misunderstanding the term "dependency" file. But all of us, when we go to get "Gridlock" simply download that one tweak from Cydia. We expect Cydia to install all Gridlock needs to make it work. That's all contained in the one .deb.

Can you give me a particular example of a tweak where you think its .deb won't do that and Ill test it too? Thanks!
    You are absolutely correct! The problem is, 'if,' for example, you've:
    -Jailbroken your phone
    -Cydia is installed
    -You want to install 'Gridlock'

Gridlock has dependency files which it relies on to work and one of those is Mobile Substrate. Not all tweax require MoSub for them to function. So, MoSub might not be pre installed w/ this new, revamped version of Cydia. If that's the case, you will still encounter problems w/ the BigBoss server trying to retrieve MoSub for you due to the high traffic.

I hope that makes sense! This is why I'm asking if you have these dependency files saved, just in case, not 'every' dependency file is pre-loaded.

BTW, I have created a .deb file that installs 'most' of the Dependency files for situations like this. If your method doesn't work and you can't get all the files you need from Cydia and assuming my .deb worx (LOL!), I'd be happy to share it w/ you!
    Last edited by thazsar; 02-02-2013 at 08:05 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-02-2013)

Thanks

You are absolutely correct! The problem is, 'if,' for example, you've:
    -Jailbroken your phone
    -Cydia is installed
    -You want to install 'Gridlock'

Gridlock has dependency files which it relies on to work and one of those is Mobile Substrate. Not all tweax require MoSub for them to function. So, MoSub might not be pre installed w/ this new, revamped version of Cydia. If that's the case, you will still encounter problems w/ the BigBoss server trying to retrieve MoSub for you due to the high traffic.

I hope that makes sense! This is why I'm asking if you have these dependency files saved, just in case, not 'every' dependency file is pre-loaded.
    Hmm. Though I understand what you're saying I've never experienced it to be so. Mobile substrate has always been loaded within the Jailbreak process and install of Cydia by the injector. I can't imagine Saurik would 'break' that functionality in this release. Seems pretty far-fetched to me. But to be sure I will go reinstall MobileSubstrates and grab its .deb.

Are these other examples of dependency files you're referring to?

Thanks

Hmm. Though I understand what you're saying I've never experienced it to be so. Mobile substrate has always been loaded within the Jailbreak process and install of Cydia by the injector. I can't imagine Saurik would 'break' that functionality in this release. Seems pretty far-fetched to me. But to be sure I will go reinstall MobileSubstrates and grab its .deb.

Are these other examples of dependency files you're referring to?

Not true...MoSub has not been installed automatically w/ Cydia in the past. As I said, some tweax don't require it so it wasn't assumed that the user needed it after an initial jailbreak.

As far as your screenshots, the first pic contains a few of the required dependencies (but not all) and your second screenshot are all related to iFile so those dont come preinstalled, either.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (02-02-2013)

Thanks

Not true...MoSub has not been installed automatically w/ Cydia in the past. As I said, some tweax don't require it so it wasn't assumed that the user needed it after an initial jailbreak.

As far as your screenshots, the first pic contains a few of the required dependencies (but not all) and your second screenshot are all related to iFile so those dont come preinstalled, either.
    Okay, thanks. But I guess my question remains. What DOES install the various dependencies? I believe it has to be the tweak's "full install" .DEB files themselves. So, by way of example, if I have the full installer from Cydia itself (in .deb form) for, let's say, "Gridlock" (which actually isn't ready for 6.1 yet) which needs MobileSubstrates to run - the 'full install' .deb will also install MoSub. No?

Otherwise how would the average jailbreaker ever get MoSub on their phones to begin with? They don't go to Cydia - download Gridlock, and then suddenly find it not working after they respring. It just WORKS! Why? Because in the .deb for Gridlock - MoSub was installed. My point being - is that there's no way, if you have the 'full install' .deb for Gridlock (which I do for all tweaks I've gotten) that you won't have the dependency files also getting installed. Agreed?

Did you read my method? It's not original with me - it's just not very well known it would seem. You just go into a jailbroken phone, now before the new JB releases and Cydia severs get killed - and 'reinstall' a given tweak - BUT --> BEFORE you hit Restart Springboard or Return to Cydia open your favorite SSH software or iFunBox (non SSH) and navigate to: /private/var/cache/apt/archives and hit the refresh key. You'll see the .deb for the tweak you just downloaded in that window. Save it to computer and you'll have the 'full install' of that tweak - which per my understanding INCLUDES dependency files. Once you copy that .deb file (which for most theme tweaks, today, is the 6.1-ready tweak) to Cydia/AutoInstall after you're jailbroken on the iP5 with 6.1 and reboot twice - you'll have that tweak AND its dependency files reinstalled. Right?

What am I missing?
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-02-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks

When you do a reinstall, it only installs the tweak, no dependencies. Why? Because the dependencies are already installed. I tested this last night and thazsar appears to be correct in his assessment of this.

Just my $.02

Thanks
    Thanked 15,195 Times in 6,976 Posts

When I have used the autoinstall method for installing ultrasnow I also had to have the .deb for mobile substrate. The ultrasnow .deb does not include it. So if you are gonna do your method for installing .debs manually with autoinstall you will need the mobile substrate .deb too as well as the .deb files for any of the dependancies of whatever tweaks you are installing. Luckily mobile substrate is normally it, but some may need other things such as activator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    When you do a reinstall, it only installs the tweak, no dependencies. Why? Because the dependencies are already installed. I tested this last night and thazsar appears to be correct in his assessment of this.

Just my $.02
    Great, King. Now THAT makes sense. So I was right that the first install of a tweak installs its dependencies - but the method I'm using to get the .deb files (reinstall) wouldn't necessarily include the dependency. I'd have to do some more testing. Because I'm not sure that Cydia knows the difference in whether you have the other's preloaded or not. My guess is that the reinstall .deb does contain the dependency and simply ignores loading it if it's already there. That makes more sense to me. But there's one sure way to test it. REMOVE Gridlock and MoSUB and see if the .deb I've downloaded (as a .deb) will install both Gridlock AND MoSub.

I wonder what will go haywire with my 4S when I remove MoSub though... LOL!!

Thanks, King AND Thazsar!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    When I have used the autoinstall method for installing ultrasnow I also had to have the .deb for mobile substrate. The ultrasnow .deb does not include it. So if you are gonna do your method for installing .debs manually with autoinstall you will need the mobile substrate .deb too as well as the .deb files for any of the dependancies of whatever tweaks you are installing. Luckily mobile substrate is normally it, but some may need other things such as activator.
    Thanks, Simon! Are there any other dependency files you can think of - for theme tweaks - that I might need besides MoSub (which I have now downloaded as well).?

And in your example with Ultrasnow - how could Cydia install a tweak WITHOUT its dependency files and expect the average user to be able to know what else to find? That doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-02-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks

Just FYI, Cydia does "know" weather or not the dependency is installed. When you install a package that has dependencies, Cydia checks to see if you have them installed or not. Then if you don't have them, it grabs them too. If a tweak needs 5 dependencies and you already have 2 of them installed, then it will just install the other 3. I'm really not sure how you make sure you got them all, unless you completely uninstall all your tweaks and reinstall them and then after your JB on your 5 you install them in the same order.

Does that make sense? Trying not to write a novel here.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    I hate Linux
    If you hate Linux, why do you use Cydia then?
    Really you should not use any JB at all, you know, they are heavily based on Linux.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-02-2013)

Thanks
    They released stifleboard for mac users before window users !

They should release the versions avalable so it wont get swamped all at once !