+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Remote Messages' Allows You to Send Texts Remotely From Your Web Browser

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 735 Posts

Default 'Remote Messages' Allows You to Send Texts Remotely From Your Web Browser

Those of you looking to be able to send your text messages from the computer, rather than your iPhone, should check out a jailbreak tweak in Cydia called Remote Messages by iOS developer Beast Soft.

On Mac OS X Mountain Lion, users can take advantage of the native Messages application to send their iOS-using and Mac OS X Mountain Lion-using friends iMessages, however it doesn’t go as far as to support SMS. This is where Remote Messages comes in. Remote Messages also works on Windows, and other platforms where Messages for Mac is not applicable.

As shown above, Remote Messages will keep your text messages in sync between your iPhone and your computer right through your Web browser. After you download Remote Messages, you’ll have to go into the Settings application under the Remote Messages preferences pane, enable the tweak, and then set a username and password.

You will enter the IP address that you see in the Settings application, then a colon, then and the port you see in the Settings application into the URL bar of the browser that you use, and then press the enter key to connect to your iPhone via Remote Messages – a prompt will ask you to sign in the username and password that you set in the Remote Messages preferences pane from the iPhone's settings. Both devices must be on the same Wi-Fi network for this to work. The settings are shown below:

When you bring up the Remote Messages interface in your Web browser, it is important to note the interface’s individual elements. As shown below, there is a Send New Message button that you will press to begin a new conversation, an Attach Files button that you can use to send files from your computer to the recipient, and an Options button that you can press to reveal the Remote Messages settings:

You will also see from the image above that there is a field for showing you who the recipients are, a text field for entering your message, and a Send button that you will press to send the message to the recipient.

In addition, from the top right of the window, you’ll notice that Remote Messages includes stats about your iPhone. You’ll see information such as the name of your iPhone carrier, signal strength, Wi-Fi strength, and whether or not the device is connected to Remote Messages:

If you click on the Options button that we showed you earlier, you will be able to view all of the following options:

From the Options, you can:

• Enable or disable pressing the Enter key to send messages
    • Enable or disable sound alerts for when you receive notifications
    • Enable or disable the showing of contact pictures in the conversation lists
    • Enable or disable the showing of contact pictures next to messages in the conversation
    • Enable or disable the ability to search through conversations
    • Enable or disable desktop notifications
    • Set the font you want to use for test messages
    • Set the theme of the Remote Messages interface

Remote Messages also has another trick up its sleeve. Not only does it support SMS messages, but it also supports iMessage. Green messages indicate SMS messages, while blue messages indicate iMessages, just like on your iPhone:

In addition to support for iMessage, Remote Messages includes support for all of the below features too:
    • File and media attachments
    • iOS 6 emojis
    • Typing notifications
    • Real-time status notifications
    • Automatically uses the contacts on your iPhone
    • Works on iPhone 3GS and newer
    • Works on Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer
    • Includes a toggle for SBSettings

If working with Remote Messages over Wi-Fi isn’t your cup of tea, Remote Messages works over a wired (USB) connection too, however you will need to install software on your Mac or Windows computer to do this. Remote Messages' Web site has information on how to do this, as well as links for the software. You can also use the Web site for more detailed instructions for connecting wirelessly, and for troubleshooting or support.

Remote Messages is normally $4.99 in the BigBoss repository, but as a present for our readers, the developer has made Remote Messages only $2.50 for the next week so you can grab it from Cydia for the discounted price if you’d really love this functionality.

From our testing with Remote Messages, the text messages sync back and forth between devices quickly and the interface is easy to use and get used to. The appearance of the interface from the Web browser looks great, and the whole sha-bang is really easy to set up. I would totally recommend this for anyone looking for a way to text message their friends via their computer. The multi-platform support and support for SMS blows Apple’s Messages application out of the water.

Remote Messages only works with iOS 5 at the moment, however iOS 6 support is coming soon. Those of you waiting on the iOS 6.1 jailbreak for your iPhone 5 are going to love this when it receives iOS 6 support.

After installing Remote Messages from Cydia, please reboot your iPhone after you respring. If apps do not open, reboot a second time.

Name: Remote Messages
    Price: Usually $4.99 ($2.50 for the next week)
    Version: 1.1.2
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Beast Soft
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Will it not work with windows :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    Will it not work with windows :/
    It's not platform dependent. It works with all desktop operating systems, since it uses a Web browser. Just make sure you're using a supported Web browser.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anthony, you guys really have to do a "best of recent tweaks" article next week once the 6.1 jailbreak is released. I can't remember all of the good ones!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcon1208 View Post
    Anthony, you guys really have to do a "best of recent tweaks" article next week once the 6.1 jailbreak is released. I can't remember all of the good ones!
    We do every Sunday

We skipped last Sunday because we only covered one jailbreak tweak that week. Would have been pointless.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can you save your text message conversations by contact in another format?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    We do every Sunday

We skipped last Sunday because we only covered one jailbreak tweak that week. Would have been pointless.
    Not a weekly recap but maybe a last 6 month best of the best tweaks. For those who have iPhone 5 and have not seen any jailbreak tweaks since day 1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Not a weekly recap but maybe a last 6 month best of the best tweaks. For those who have iPhone 5 and have not seen any jailbreak tweaks since day 1.
    There is a huge liability there, since we don't yet know what is compatible with iPhone 5.

Thanks

does this send messages thru the browser? on windows? or only text? I have wifisms. basically the same idea but it doesn't do iMessage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
    does this send messages thru the browser? on windows? or only text? I have wifisms. basically the same idea but it doesn't do iMessage.
    The whole article answers all of these questions lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Doesn't WifiSMS do the same thing already? I use it on my 5.1.1 iPhone and it's free.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by izeta View Post
    Doesn't WifiSMS do the same thing already? I use it on my 5.1.1 iPhone and it's free.
    Yes they do almost the same thing.

However Remote Messages has a more pleasing interface, more in-browser options, and support for Internet Explorer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by izeta View Post
    WifiSMS hasn't been updated for 10 months, and unlike Remote Messages doesn't support imessages, desktop notifications, or themes. Remote Messages is also regularly updated (they're currently working on an ios 6 compatible version)and supported, and the devs respond to bugs and tech support requests quickly on their forum: All Discussions - Remote Messages

I used WifiSMS for ages, and it was great, but it had its fair share of frustrations (mainly related to imessage) and the dev didn't update it (reasonably enough seeing as it was free!). Remote Messages really is a lot better.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 672 Posts

Only thing that sucks is what if it takes them over a week to make work with iPhone 5/IOS 6 then we miss out on the 2.50 discount!!! That blows!!! I can see myself using this on my computer alot.

Thanks

does anyone know of some thing that will do this but being tethered to a computer?? no wifi at work but I'd love to have this at work

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope iPhone 5 / iOS 6 support comes out soon, I want to try it. I don't want to miss the special pricing. Cydia won't let me buy it since it's not tested yet. (I'd gladly pre-buy it for the cheaper price)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    I hope iPhone 5 / iOS 6 support comes out soon, I want to try it. I don't want to miss the special pricing. Cydia won't let me buy it since it's not tested yet. (I'd gladly pre-buy it for the cheaper price)
    I tried installing it on my 6.1 jailbreak and it I was not able to delete texts from the messages app. Hopefully the new update will address that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've tried this today, and it has many bugs.

- Since I am living in a country which still hasn't official appstore, and therefore isn't officialy supported by apple, I have to enter all my numbers in international format +(country code)123456. Even if my numbers are entered this way, when I choose to create new message, with this tweak, it put number without + and when I try to send message this way, it won't.

- Don't know why, but I can't even send regular sms message, with manual number entered. It's for some reason recognized as iMessage, even if it's not and said it can't be sent. Message is at least stored at phone, so I can choose "send as text message" and than it's sent.

- If I reply to some conversation which I already have in my phone, it works that way.