Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Preparing Your iOS Device for the evasi0n iOS 6 Jailbreak

Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 7,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    So I'm guessing that means restoring from 6.1 to 6.1 won't be possible after the signing window is closed? Like what can be done with 5.1.1.
    Unclear at this point. If a method similar to the 5.1.1 re-restore method is found you will want and need those SHSH though.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    So I'm guessing that means restoring from 6.1 to 6.1 won't be possible after the signing window is closed? Like what can be done with 5.1.1.
    Yes,

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Unclear at this point. If a method similar to the 5.1.1 re-restore method is found you will want and need those SHSH though.
    and Yes.

Save your Blobs, kids!
    But don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    The hosts file is a computer file used in an operating system to map hostnames to IP addresses. The hosts file is a plain-text file and...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

To summarise that a host file is what translates http://google.com into a numerical address e.g. 123.456.78

In terms of restoring an idevice if your hosts device has been modified either manually or by using tinyumbrella or other software then iTunes may fail if its activation servers (gs.apple.com if I remember rightly) have been set to a different address such as 74.208.105.171 (Sauriks Cydia server).

There could be another reason why your restore is failing but that seems like an obvious reason. Also have you tried doing a dfu restore?

EDIT: also see here if you haven't already: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3424
    I will have to take a look into this more but I have not done a DFU since OTA. It had not worked prior (6.0.1).
    EDIT: The support did not help and I have no warranty to call support.

Thanks
    I can't wait for this jb to be released. A clean restore through DFU mode sounds perfect to me, my only concern is losing my contacts and notes along with my calendar dates. is their anyway I can simply back up these few things and have them put onto my phone after the update and jb to 6.1? I've never looked into any cloud services so I'm not exactly sure how they work I assume it's more of an "all or nothing" sort of deal.. correct me if I'm wrong.

I would appreciate some feedback from this awesome community, thanks.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,954 Times in 6,529 Posts

Are you using iCloud? It should have your contacts and cal. Not sure about the notes.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

redtide (02-01-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Are you using iCloud? It should have your contacts and cal. Not sure about the notes.
    Honestly... no. But I suppose I will be now for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by redtide View Post
    Honestly... no. But I suppose I will be now for that reason.
    iCloud has made a lot of this easier.

What I'm concerned with is losing pictures, text messages, contacts by doing a complete restore and fresh install. I'll backup my phone of course but if I'm not restoring from backup and instead setting it up as a new device how can I be sure I don't lose this stuff and have to manually add it all back?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dobb View Post
    Just did this and it worked out great!! Plus the good news is I got AT&T to unlock my phone 6 months ago and just now am able to use the unlock due to me updating to 6.1.

I did the same thing. When I first got my iPhone 5, there were unlocking services and got my AT&T Iphone unlocked. I thought that if I do the clean restore, I would lose my unlock. But I need the jailbreak, so I updated to 6.1 using the steps above and putting my phone in DFU mode. During the restore the message came up in iTunes that my phone is unlocked, so that is great! I didn't lose the unlock. So now I know that I can do a clean restore and my phone is still unlocked. (I previously had a iPhone 4 which I used Ultrasn0w to unlock. This is way better) I thought that MuscleNerd said that they weren't going to update Ultrasn0w, but there are still iPhone 4 users who would want to update and keep their unlock.

Can't wait till Sunday.......

Quote Originally Posted by seang54 View Post
    What I'm concerned with is losing pictures, text messages, contacts by doing a complete restore and fresh install. I'll backup my phone of course but if I'm not restoring from backup and instead setting it up as a new device how can I be sure I don't lose this stuff and have to manually add it all back?
    So you don't know what iCloud is?

With iCloud, all of that stuff gets backed up into your backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    So you don't know what iCloud is?

With iCloud, all of that stuff gets backed up into your backup.
    I suppose I could back up that stuff to iCloud so long as its less than 5gb. Then I guess all my apps I have to reinstall manually?

I suppose I could back up that stuff to iCloud so long as its less than 5gb. Then I guess all my apps I have to reinstall manually?
    Use iTunes for Apps.

You can easily movie your photographs to your computer hard drive.

Lightbulb iTunes Backup, then extract data from it using another App
    You can have iTunes backup all your data, then at any time, use JuicePhone to view, and extract, the data from the backup. All your photos and such should be right there for the taking.

If you want your app data & settings restored too, and if you're tech-savvy enough, you can also manually copy that data to your freshly restored device using SSH, or an app called iExplorer that has a USB-mount option. Although I would better recommend using PKGbackup to backup all your app data to Dropbox prior to 6.1, then restoring again using that method. Takes all the leg work out.

All this, because letting iTunes restore from a backup is generally a bad idea if you jailbreak. Especially if it's from a device on 5.x to 6.x. Something(s) will inevitably go wrong, now or later, and you may have to re-restore again.

Anyway, hope that helps.
    Last edited by protechtedd; 02-02-2013 at 05:24 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just going through those steps today, and although I thought this would be a breeze (because I've done this all before), it's not, iTunes is saying the downloaded Firmware is not compatible..? When it most certainly is.. I've downloaded iOS 6.1 from two different sources. I've booted my phone into DFU mode and currently looking for a solution...

Oh and I've re-installed iTunes, but now it's not giving me the option to just download the firmware.

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated -Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AB Project View Post
    Just going through those steps today, and although I thought this would be a breeze (because I've done this all before), it's not, iTunes is saying the downloaded Firmware is not compatible..? When it most certainly is.. I've downloaded iOS 6.1 from two different sources. I've booted my phone into DFU mode and currently looking for a solution...

Oh and I've re-installed iTunes, but now it's not giving me the option to just download the firmware.

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated -Thanks!
    Sounds like you have the wrong firmware for your device. What device do you have and what is the file name of the firmware you downloaded?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds like you have the wrong firmware for your device. What device do you have and what is the file name of the firmware you downloaded?
    I have an iPhone 5, currently with 6.0.2

The filename of the downloaded firmware I used is..
    - iPhone5,1_6.0_10A405_Restore.ipsw

This was from a direct link from redsn0w.us

Thanks

I have an iPhone 5, currently with 6.0.2

The filename of the downloaded firmware I used is..
    - iPhone5,1_6.0_10A405_Restore.ipsw

This was from a direct link from redsn0w.us
    I'd bet you actually have a iPhone5,2 device then. Try this one: http://modmyi.com/downloads.php?do=f...f7a9e25d947c98

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd bet you actually have a iPhone5,2 device then. Try this one: http://modmyi.com/downloads.php?do=f...f7a9e25d947c98
    Just clicked that link.. I got this ha..

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.
    If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Thanks

Just clicked that link.. I got this ha..

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.
    If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
    It is just the link from our downloads section: iPhone 5 CDMA 6.0.2 - Downloads - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com

All i wanna do is save my contacts. iCloud says i'm at 5.1gb..... with just my contacts.. everything else is turned off. I don't get it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast