+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Preparing Your iOS Device for the evasi0n iOS 6 Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by rackha My iPhone 4 is jailbroken on 5.1.1 if I upgrade and restore to 6.1 through iTunes won't that wipe everything. So do I need to still
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rackha View Post
    My iPhone 4 is jailbroken on 5.1.1 if I upgrade and restore to 6.1 through iTunes won't that wipe everything. So do I need to still do step 3 ?
    If you back up your data, it won't matter that you wipe everything because you can restore from the back up.

Since you're already jailbroken though, I wouldn't recommend backing up your data. Instead, I would recommend you simply start fresh. (I've done this 3 times in the last week... it's really not THAT bad.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

rackha (01-31-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i upgraded my ipad 2 from 6.01 to 6.1 can someone please tell me step by step how to do those steps if needed to jailbreak my ipad, thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What I meant was do I need to do step 3 (dfu mode restore) or can I just restore and upgrade in tunes to 6.1. (wiping everything is not a problem for me)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I highly recommend against waiting.

If Apple were to release a quick update like iOS 6.1.1 that couldn't be jailbroken any time soon, some users wouldn't be able to get to a jailbroken firmware.

And you saw how quickly they stopped signing iOS 6.0.2 this time.

Just wait for compatibility, that's my best advice for this situation.
    Apple won't release ios6.1.1 until the jailbreak is out.. they would be morons to do that because they don't know what the exploits are that are being used... with that said, I'd still upgrade now or right when the jb tool comes out.

Apple will no doubt download the tool and attempt to disect it to see what the exploits are, then they'll have to patch the os and test their patches before putting out ios6.1.1 .. so it won't be the next day .. it will probably be a week or two before that becomes a risk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oneduality View Post
    Apple won't release ios6.1.1 until the jailbreak is out.. they would be morons to do that because they don't know what the exploits are that are being used... with that said, I'd still upgrade now or right when the jb tool comes out.

Apple will no doubt download the tool and attempt to disect it to see what the exploits are, then they'll have to patch the os and test their patches before putting out ios6.1.1 .. so it won't be the next day .. it will probably be a week or two before that becomes a risk.
    I have not said that Apple will release iOS 6.1.1 before the jailbreak. But if people on iOS 5.1.1 are not fast enough and the jailbreak comes out and Apple releases iOS 6.1.1, there will be no way to get to iOS 6.1, or any of the jailbreakable firmwares. iOS 6 does not have the APTicket vulnerability that iOS 5 has, so you can't restore between iOS 6 firmwares on non-limera1n devices at this point in time.

As you can see, the poster I replied to plans to stay on iOS 5.1.1 until his jailbreak tweaks are compatible with iOS 6. That could take a while... not a couple of days.

I recommend everyone gets to the firmware NOW instead of procrastinating if they have any intention of jailbreaking iOS 6.

Hopefully this clarifies my original statement.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-31-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm gonna try all this tonight and I greatly appreciate all the info people have provided.

Man I hope the JB works cuz if not I'm really gonna miss my sweet sweet jailbreak on 5.0.1.

Fingers crossed...

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an iPhone 4S that I had to OTA because iTunes denies the verification every time. Any help?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts

Step #3 is not mandatory. I agree it can be a good idea to put a clean restore but I have never done that before with a JB and everything went smooth as silk.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    Step #3 is not mandatory. I agree it can be a good idea to put a clean restore but I have never done that before with a JB and everything went smooth as silk.
    Thanks that was exactly what i was asking

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I will admit. I generally do a clean restore in the past and not from a backup. But that is time consuming

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,283 Times in 5,959 Posts

Anthony, you may want to add an optional step to save your blobs here too.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Green Apple
    Thanks

King, can you point me in the right direction for info on how to save my blobs? I've wanted to do that forever but I'm really confused as how it's done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Actually I think I just found the answer to my question. Now I'm just curious how I would save my blobs HERE. Does modmyi store people's blobs for them or sumpin?
    Last edited by nrfuller; 01-31-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

All you need to do is download the app tiny umbrella. It has been updated to support the new firmware's
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/?m=1

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,283 Times in 5,959 Posts

Download the latest version of TU, search "the firmware umbrella"

When you run it, accept the first 2 popups

Upper right corner hit "Save SHSH"

Then click on the advanced tab and deselect the "Request SHSH From Cydia"

Click on general tab

Click on "Save SHSH" again

This will save them to Cydia and to your computer!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Anthony, you may want to add an optional step to save your blobs here too.
    I like this idea. Added.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I have an iPhone 4S that I had to OTA because iTunes denies the verification every time. Any help?
    Is your hosts file blocking the update servers?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hi I could not be any happier and truly grateful !! Just wanted to mention to please donate by clicking on the link on their homepage.
    I remember reading so many comments that many were willing to donate, so here is our opportunity to show how grateful we are for their time and hard work to please us Even if it's just a few dollars, please do it ?
    Anthony thank you too for your updates, reports and awesome tutorials. There are two places I trust, knowing that I will never be deceived or given wrong information, and that is Modmyi and iClarified. On You Tube,,, it's iCrackUriDevice and his website is BestTechInfo.com (BTI)
    Take care everyone, smile and enjoy both the Jailbreak and Superbowl.... lolll go Baltimore xoxo p.s. So to answer the question what will you be doing Superbowl day,,, watching the game while downloading my tweaks and themes and then go thru my wishlist I created while waiting for the jailbreak,,,,

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Is your hosts file blocking the update servers?
    When you say hosts file, what do you mean exactly?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    When you say hosts file, what do you mean exactly?
    The hosts file is a computer file used in an operating system to map hostnames to IP addresses. The hosts file is a plain-text file and...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

To summarise that a host file is what translates http://google.com into a numerical address e.g. 123.456.78

In terms of restoring an idevice if your hosts device has been modified either manually or by using tinyumbrella or other software then iTunes may fail if its activation servers (gs.apple.com if I remember rightly) have been set to a different address such as 74.208.105.171 (Sauriks Cydia server).

There could be another reason why your restore is failing but that seems like an obvious reason. Also have you tried doing a dfu restore?

EDIT: also see here if you haven't already: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3424

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Step 5: Save Your SHSH Blobs for iOS 6.1

There is currently no use for iOS 6-iOS 6.1 SHSH blobs on most devices, since the APTicket vulnerability that was available in iOS 5 allowing us to restore between iOS 5 firmwares is not existent in iOS 6, however if hackers find a way to circumvent the system in the future, it would be a good idea to have your SHSH blobs saved. We recommend this as precautionary measure. You can save your iOS 6.1 SHSH blobs with either TinyUmbrella or redsn0w.
    So I'm guessing that means restoring from 6.1 to 6.1 won't be possible after the signing window is closed? Like what can be done with 5.1.1.

iPad 2 & iPhone 5 here :-) my iPhone 4 can always be restored.
    Last edited by rocky5; 01-31-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!