+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store Earned Record Revenue in December 2012, Did Much Better Than Google Play

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Simon I get ads in androids notification center from apps that I have installed! Very intrusive. I have not experienced that yet but you can bet I
    iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I get ads in androids notification center from apps that I have installed! Very intrusive.
    I have not experienced that yet but you can bet I would uninstall any app that NCs advertising on me.

I have received app notifications of the "get your free coins" or "it's time for your daily spin" but I also get those on iOS apps. This kind of intrusive ad isn't the fault of the OS, blame it on the developer of the apps.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,197 Times in 6,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
    App store has just as much advertising as the Play store and so do the iOS Apps...

I'll say it again, I think comparing download counts is probably a better metric. I would also think content growth per month is a better indicator of success. It would be interesting to know how many downloaded apps total versus number of iOS/Android devices (or maybe versus registered users of the store) as a better measure of which user group on average downloads more apps.

I just wish these discussions could happen without it breaking down into a fanbois (from both sides) wars (not saying it has yet, just don't want to see it gong there)...
    Only fanboy in here is jongarret. He is our resident android troll on MMi. I love both platforms. I still prefer iOS but think my Nexus 4 is right there with it with jelly bean, most of my main apps are available on both and run great. Nexus 7 is still a bit behind the iPad line though, Android has some catching up to do with their tablet apps.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

This kind of intrusive ad isn't the fault of the OS, blame it on the developer of the apps.
    Are you sure about that? Apple doesn't allow developers to build into the Notification Center. Because of this "walled garden," advertising never gets a chance to leak out into the operating system. In this terminology, I disagree.

Thanks

I have not experienced that yet but you can bet I would uninstall any app that NCs advertising on me.

I have received app notifications of the "get your free coins" or "it's time for your daily spin" but I also get those on iOS apps. This kind of intrusive ad isn't the fault of the OS, blame it on the developer of the apps.
    A couple of the apps I have tried do it, Go launcher EX, a wallpaper app (forget the name) and a Nexus live wallpaper package (that one was the worst one, put all kinds of crap in my NC).
    iOS the worst thing I hate is gamecenter sending me challenges from people for games I don't even have, very annoying.

Thanks

iOS the worst thing I hate is gamecenter sending me challenges from people for games I don't even have, very annoying.
    Agree with you there.

Thanks

This kind of intrusive ad isn't the fault of the OS, blame it on the developer of the apps.
    I blame both, Android for allowing it and the devs for putting their crap ads in my NC. NC is for my notifications, not for your crappy advertising.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    What in Android isn't intrusive?
    The ability to save my content locally.

The ability to automatically manage profiles (you know auto silence and turn off un-needed services like GPS) based on my agenda, time or location triggers.

Widgets.

Expandable storage.

Changing my system font.

Not needing to call in to the mothership for "activation" when I upgrade my OS.

Having my personal data survive then OS upgrade without having the back-up before and restore after.

Having more than 2 choices for how to unlock my device.

Setting a unique alert tone for each of my e-mail addresses.

The list really is quite long but this isn't the place for it. Not bashing Apple's products, just saying.

Seriously, neither one is better than the other. It's about which is a better fit for each user.

As a wireless consultant I see more Seniors and Teens getting iPhones lately. One exception to this is a customer who was thinking iPhone but after talking to me about Galaxy devices, Note 2 specifically, she did her research and came back for the Note 2. She'll be replacing her laptop, Nokia cellular phone and home cable/internet with the Note 2 a Samsung Smart TV and a few accessories to get the most out of the combination.

Of course there are still a lot of users who can't even handle the simplicity of iDevices (not a knock on Apple products)...

Thanks

Expandable storage.
    This is a feature of the manufacturer's device, not Android.

You're right about everything fitting the user's taste. I find changing the font obtrusive, because there's no need to change a default font when the default font is normally the easiest to read font.

Thanks

I blame both, Android for allowing it and the devs for putting their crap ads in my NC. NC is for my notifications, not for your crappy advertising.
    I would rather have fewer restrictions on what can be offered in the Store. If an App spams your NC then dump it, if enough users do that then the developer's revenue stream will dry-up and they'll be forced to change the method of advertising...

Thanks

I would rather have fewer restrictions on what can be offered in the Store. If an App spams your NC then dump it, if enough users do that then the developer's revenue stream will dry-up and they'll be forced to change the method of advertising...
    The lists of pros and cons for each really could go on and on. I think you already said it best
    Seriously, neither one is better than the other. It's about which is a better fit for each user.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphur
    Expandable Storage
    This is a feature of the manufacturer's device, not Android.
    That would be a valid counterpoint except for 2 things:

1) Apple is the manufacturer of the device and the OS.

2) Android natively supports External Storage, without such support the manufacturer couldn't do squat.

Thanks

That would be a valid counterpoint except for 2 things:

1) Apple is the manufacturer of the device and the OS.

2) Android natively supports External Storage, without such support the manufacturer couldn't do squat.
    iOS technically natively supports Siri and turn-by-turn navigation, but that doesn't mean I can use it on the iPhone 4.

If the device doesn't have it, it won't work.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-30-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

iOS technically natively supports Siri and turn-by-turn navigation, but that doesn't mean I can use it on the iPhone 4.

If the device doesn't have it, it won't work.
    Ironically, JB developers have proven that the iPhone 4 can support both features so the limitation is Apple trying to force users to upgrade and again Apple takes the hit because they control both.

FWIW, one of the reasons I passed up the Nexus 4 to get my Galaxy S 3 is specifically because it lacks a MicroSD slot.

My point still stands that iOS doesn't natively support external storage unless you count the camera connection kit but I doubt anyone would equate that to having a MicroSD slot built-in.

Thanks

Ironically, JB developers have proven that the iPhone 4 can support both features so the limitation is Apple trying to force users to upgrade and again Apple takes the hit because they control both.

FWIW, one of the reasons I passed up the Nexus 4 to get my Galaxy S 3 is specifically because it lacks a MicroSD slot.

My point still stands that iOS doesn't natively support external storage unless you count the camera connection kit but I doubt anyone would equate that to having a MicroSD slot built-in.
    Well I wasn't trying to argue you that iOS doesn't natively support external storage, but I was trying to mention that it's not Android that provides external storage for its devices, rather the manufacturer. So I don't consider it an Android feature because there are Android phones that lack the external storage capability.

Thanks

Well I wasn't trying to argue you that iOS doesn't natively support external storage, but I was trying to mention that it's not Android that provides external storage for its devices, rather the manufacturer. So I don't consider it an Android feature because there are Android phones that lack the external storage capability.
    Fair enough, I guess we can agree that at the least Android gets credit for supporting the option and the hardware OEMs get credit as most of the Android devices actually utilize it.

Thanks

Fair enough, I guess we can agree that at the least Android gets credit for supporting the option and the hardware OEMs get credit as most of the Android devices actually utilize it.
    That's a fair compromise.

Thanks for the discussion.

Thanks

That's a fair compromise.

Thanks for the discussion.
    Likewise, this was probably the best discussion involving Android I've seen on MMI...

It's nice to see such discussions are possible here.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Nowhere near as much.

There IS advertising, but the mere volume of advertising is much lower.

Much of the reason that many apps that are paid in the App Store are free in the Google Play store are because of the ads.
    no you are wrong my friend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    Do you have some insight on why a developer who has both a free and paid version of Solitaire (MobilityWare) would say it would they can't afford to support a paid version in the Play Store despite having a free version there already?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    Strong argument

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (01-31-2013)