Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Survey Finds Retailers in the U.K. Recommending Samsung Phones over iPhones

Thanks

Default Survey Finds Retailers in the U.K. Recommending Samsung Phones over iPhones

A mystery shopper survey which was carried out in the U.K. helped find out that Samsung’s Galaxy S III was the most recommended smartphone among eight of Britain’s leading electronics retailers. The Telegraph is reporting that the survey performed by Informa Telecoms and Media looked at smartphone recommendations from sales attendants at John Lewis, Everything Everywhere, O2, 3, Maplins, PC World, Carphone Warehouse, and Phones 4 U. Researchers found that the Galaxy S III and the Note II were recommended more often despite being on the market longer than Apple’s current iPhone 5.

Based on the way the survey was conducted, researchers asked attendants to recommend three smartphones or tablets among their offerings. Only 3 and Phones 4 U recommended Apple’s iPhone 5. Motorola and RIM’s offerings saw very few recommendations, if any as well. In addition to attendant recommendations, the survey also scored manufacturers on whether smartphones were advertised in store windows or in-store. The result: Apple and Samsung products were just as likely to see window or in-store promotion, despite the discrepancy in recommendations.

It should be noted that in reporting their results, Informa also noted that the higher rate of Samsung recommendations could possibly boil down in part to individual employee biases, including possible higher commissions on sales of Samsung phones. That along with a greater range of smartphone options could also have an effect for Samsung as the iPhone is Apple’s only smartphone offering.

How do you feel about the whole ordeal? Have you been recommended a Samsung phone over an iPhone at any retail location?

Source: The Telegraph

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely because of commissions... I have a friend here in the states that does the same thing.

Thanks

I bet they also suggested monster cable charger and a 10 year extended warranty. Don't worry though... all sales people go by the highest standards of morals, they have YOUR best interests in mind and not their own.
    Last edited by Norb; 01-28-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I bet they also suggested monster cable charger and a 10 year extended warranty. Don't worry though... all sales people go by the highest standards of morals, they have YOUR best interests in mind and not their own.
    Hey!

My gold-plated charging cable makes internet run soooo much better!

Isn't this trend understandable even if the sales incentive is accounted for? I have been an apple fan boy for quite sometime now owning every major release of iPhones, iPads and macs and am totally entrenched into the apple ecosystem. However, now I have this desire deep below to try something new when it comes to my phone. It's been quite a while that iOS and iPhones have been a part of my life and even though they have changed gradually over time, I look across the neighbor and wonder if the grass is greener on siii or note.

A

Check your facts. The Note II haven't been longer on the market than iPhone 5. It was released 5 days later. 21 vs 26 september.

Btw I own both, so please keep me out of fanboy wars. Thanks :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Not all of these retailers earn commission.

Did you expect anything different? The Galaxy S3 is recommended over the iPhone 5 worldwide as its a better phone.

Good. I hope retailers start doing this in the states as well. Maybe then Apple will realize that they should do more to their phones than just making it longer and putting the headphone jack on the bottom.

I have a salesperson story that pissed me off. My dad (he's 71) wants an iPhone, so his nephew (my cousin) said to go to a particular AT&T store because his friend worked there. And that he would get my dad a good deal. My dad walks out with a 32 Gb iPhone and a $50 Otterbox case. He told my dad that the extra $100 for the add'l 16 Gb would be the "best $100 he would spend". Bull$hit.

I was pissed because I knew he wouldn't even use the 16 Gb. To this day, he uses about 7 Gb of storage. And he doesn't use the Otterbox because it was too bulky and wouldn't slide in-and-out of his front pocket easily. I bought him a $2 non-OEM bumper, and he's happy with that.

If you are wondering why I didn't go to the store with my dad... he lives in California. I live in Indiana.

I went into 3uk and asked for details on the iphone 5, the sales assistant tryed pushing the s3 on me so i told him that ive come in here for the iphone 5 why would i want some cheap plastic POS
    No Sig Spam..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tomlangford001 For This Useful Post:

aidanharris (01-28-2013)

Not a fanboy, but I owned nothing by iPhone's since the first model. Just picked up a Note 2 last month and absolutely love it! Modding is so much easier too...

Quote Originally Posted by sbcdk View Post
    Check your facts. The Note II haven't been longer on the market than iPhone 5. It was released 5 days later. 21 vs 26 september.

Btw I own both, so please keep me out of fanboy wars. Thanks :-)
    only in the states

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Hey!

My gold-plated charging cable makes internet run soooo much better!
    What is it they say a fool and his money are soon departed Samsunk sucks put out a hand tablet phone that is not very pocket friendly and if you like to put your hand around a giant cinder block to make a call no thanks I will stick with my I phone 5 but very good point about the gold charging cable they do do that kind of stuff.

Hang on Maplins don't sell the Galaxy S3, Note or the iPhone.

Nice to see correct facts once again being reported!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its because the G3 is clearly better then the iphone and if you think not your clearly in denial.. just look up the specs. I have a iphone and not happy, went to buy a G3 and everywhere i went was sold out, so im just going to put up with it for now. If the 5s or 6 doesnt sport a proper screen size, not just a stretched length and no width then screw that, apple has us locked down enough, i already messed up and updated to 6.0 because i was excited, and samsung you can root your phone, + its opened sourced, the screen is bigger, the phone has more inside it, the cheaper then a iphone.... like do i need to go on and on... my samsung tv i can beam it with my G3 if i had one.. there i must go through apple tv, even then its ****, because i cant stream my media unless its in itunes. which is total crap, and cant even be .mkv. Get real apple.

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    Definitely because of commissions... I have a friend here in the states that does the same thing.
    So...when all the carriers were pushing the iphone it was because of...commission?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abchoudhry View Post
    Isn't this trend understandable even if the sales incentive is accounted for? I have been an apple fan boy for quite sometime now owning every major release of iPhones, iPads and macs and am totally entrenched into the apple ecosystem. However, now I have this desire deep below to try something new when it comes to my phone. It's been quite a while that iOS and iPhones have been a part of my life and even though they have changed gradually over time, I look across the neighbor and wonder if the grass is greener on siii or note.

A
    I would suggest trying a Samsung S III or something comparative running Android. It's always good to try something different. One of three things will happen: You'll either not like Android as much and go back to iOS, you'll find that you enjoy Android a lot and make the switch, or you'll find that you enjoy both and switch back and forth between them every once in awhile. I prefer the last option, it's nice to switch things up here and there!

Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
    So...when all the carriers were pushing the iphone it was because of...commission?
    Best comment ever! Seriously, when Samsung is winning, its because of commission, but when its Apple, its because its a far superior device. HAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by CHICOHONDA91 View Post
    only in the states
    Nope, worldwide. I am european... Check wikipedia, in in doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast