+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking New Cellphones to Become Illegal in the U.S.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
What I don't understand is in all these online reports, it's saying the Librarian of Congress passed this law...I don't see how a librarian can pass any law...congress or not...did
    Thanks

What I don't understand is in all these online reports, it's saying the Librarian of Congress passed this law...I don't see how a librarian can pass any law...congress or not...did I miss something?...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How can they catch you ?? and what is the consequence for it ??

Thanks
    Thanked 8,541 Times in 4,323 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    What I don't understand is in all these online reports, it's saying the Librarian of Congress passed this law...I don't see how a librarian can pass any law...congress or not...did I miss something?...
    The "Library" (not Librarian) of Congress is a government agency that governs copyright law among other things. Educate yourself, please.. Jes' sayin'...
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,415 Times in 6,006 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
    This is not retro active, any phone purchased before the 26th can still be unlocked. and any phone purchased after the 26th can not unless it is by your carrier. some carriers like verizon are starting to sell their phone unlocked and have stated so publicly.
    Finally, someone that actually reads and understands this. Kudos bro!!!

@Newd
    I'm with you here bro!

Librarian of congress - now that is funny right there! What a sad state this country is in when people didn't even realize what this is and the fact that it was repeated over and over. Put down the beer and read a book once in a while. Holy S, I feel dumber for even replying to this display of lunacy.

Someone save this country please!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    @Newd
    I'm with you here bro!

Librarian of congress - now that is funny right there! What a sad state this country is in when people didn't even realize what this is and the fact that it was repeated over and over. Put down the beer and read a book once in a while. Holy S, I feel dumber for even replying to this display of lunacy.

Someone save this country please!
    It's slipping away from us fast, King. Not that I necessarily lean right, politically speaking, but if you ever watch the Bill O'Reilly program on FNC there's a segment regularly called "Watter's World" where Jesse Watters, O'Reillys producer, goes out on the street and asks the average American young person (17-25) these very basic history questions (Jay Leno has a similar segment less occasionally). And the young folks almost exclusively come up with the most outlandishly stupid answers or haven't got a clue what he's talking about. It's actually so sad it's funny, but more sad. I call it the "Facebook obsessed texting generation". Unless it's fast immediate information they're just not interested most of them. But don't get me started. Don't want to be considered an "ageist". LOL!!

"Librarian of Congress"!!!?! LMAO..., That's been making me chuckle for the last 24 hours. Great stuff!! (But SO sad)...
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-27-2013 at 10:19 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    "Librarian of Congress"!!!?! LMAO..., That's been making me chuckle for the last 24 hours. Great stuff!! (But SO sad)...
    Librarian of Congress - the head of the Library of Congress
    Currently it's James Billington at 83 years old.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

Article on Unlocking of Phones

Unlocking your new smartphone is now illegal: What you need to know | Digital Trends

I hardly ever read an article with such inconsistency as this one.
    First it says
    Because unlocking a phone requires making changes to its firmware – software that is copyrighted and owned by your carrier – which would be a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
    saying that changes to the software (aka firmware) would violate the copyright of the carrier that owns the software as

... we cell phone owners do not actually “own” the software running our phones. Instead, we are only “licensing” this software – a key difference – which means that we don’t have a right to alter that software. This also played a role in the Librarian’s decision.
    OK, right. The hardware is ours, but the software is just licensed from the carrier.
    However further down the article it says

Jailbreaking allows you to run apps on your device that you couldn’t with an un-jailbroken phone, such as iOS apps that are not available through the iTunes App Store. But jailbreaking does not let you switch to a different carrier. Also, jailbreaking is still completely legal under the DMCA.
    Now, in order to jailbreak an iPhone it requires changes to the software.
    So in one case it is illegal to make changes to the software (unlock), but in another case it is legal to make changes to the software (jailbreak).

YEAH RIGHT!

On another note this new ruling could be transferred to other gadgets like laptops. You buy a new laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed, but you prefer to use Linux. According to the above ruling it could be argued that you can not replace Windows 8 with another OS, as you would violate the licensing agreement with Microsoft which you automatically entered as you bought the new laptop.
    Or Microsoft could sue you for installing any program (e.g. OpenSouce software) as that would make changes to the licensed Windows 8.

This ruling is utter male bovine feces and I am totally convinced that the carrier lobby had their finger/money in this to get such a ruling.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-28-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,415 Times in 6,006 Posts

Very good point Ras!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Librarian of Congress - the head of the Library of Congress
    Currently it's James Billington at 83 years old.
    You know darn well the people using that term were slipping up... And didn't know about James..

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    This ruling is utter male bovine feces and I am totally convinced that the carrier lobby had their finger/money in this to get such a ruling.
    Exactly right, Ras. No case would ever hold up in court. Utter nonsense. I unlocked my ip5 on January 27 just to 'spit at' this law. It was just as easy as on January 26.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-28-2013 at 07:20 AM.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345