+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking New Cellphones to Become Illegal in the U.S.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I thought as you brought it with your money then you can do whatever you like with it. It looks like in America if you buy something that its not
    Banned
    Thanks

I thought as you brought it with your money then you can do whatever you like with it. It looks like in America if you buy something that its not yours.

As soon as i hand over the cash I can do whatever I like to it I dont care what it is when money has changed hands its no longer theirs its now MINE so if I want to jailbreak or unlock it then I can. If I want to jump on it then I can. BUT WAIT! There will be a law against that in America too soon. #StupidYanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StanSmith For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (01-24-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    So all the unlocking services you can find on the Internet, eBay, etc...it will now be illegal for them to unlock your phone correct? So my question is how is this enforced?

I imagine it will still be super easy to get your phone unlocked using these services, I would think they could avoid this "law" by operating out of another country...So will it be illegal for us to own a phone that we have had unlocked using one of these services (unlocked after the cutoff date)? Or is the actual act of unlocking illegal?

Can say... tmobile tell if your phone is unlocked from another carrier such as AT&T? If so will they no longer be able to allow these devices on their network? This law sucks and is retarded...and I have no problem breaking laws that suck and/or are retarded, and cannot be enforced completely . I hope this is another law that cannot really be enforced at this point in time... So my last question is...Is it?
    You can still unlock, as stated in this article. The device has to be purchased on or before said date..Unlocking services will continue to operate, but unlocking is at their discretion. If you need your device unlocked, get it done at iUnlockr - The easiest way to unlock your iPhone for any carrier. Factory unlock your iPhone today. .

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Those of you who are complaining and moaning about this should probably simmer down and think about it just a little bit. In America, if you buy an iPhone for a specific carrier (AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint), that carrier HEAVILY subsidizes the cost of the phone with the understanding that you will adhere to the 2 year contract.
    Yeah. So what? I'll pay their 2-year contract, but if I travel to say Europe, why shouldn't I be able to buy a SIM card from a local provider and use it in my unlocked phone? This is just more government overprotection of monied, corporate interests at our expense.

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    True...but the fee for early termination of the contract is nothing compared to the money they lose in monthly service fees.
    So? They should raise the early termination fee then. Instead, an unelected bureaucrat decides to give a late Xmas present to corporate interests, at considerable cost to us.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 01-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Even if we don't have all the info now....F*** them! We can unlock whenever we want to.

Thanks

I unlocked my i4 on AT&T after my two years were up on my plan, at no cost. Complain all you want, but the reality is that if you buy a phone at the "cheaper" rate, it is a discounted price given to you by the carrier and requires you to "pay it off" over the timespan of your plan. Buying a phone and attempting to run it on another network to avoid paying that price is, in effect, cheating the carrier, which is selling the phone at a discount and then remaking the money with your monthly payments. It's easy (if pricey) now to buy an unlocked phone (which it certainly wasn't before). Now, I personally think all phones should be open to an unlock after you pay them off. Because, yes, it is our phone. But the carrier is selling it to you, and you agree to pay off the cost of the discounted phone price by carrying the phone plan for a set number of time. So, buy the unlocked phone and be happy. You get what you want and the cost is not being subsidized by the carrier. Or buy the phone locked and, at the end of the plan's life, have the carrier unlock it. It's a marketplace decision for you to make.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Read the websites of most phone companies, you don't own the phone you just indefinitely lease it.
    You do own it. The hardware is physically yours. That's why this whole thing is moot.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So what happens after your two year contract is fulfilled and the phone subsidy is paid for? Can you unlock it then?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Typical f@#%ing government sticking there nose where it doesn't belong. Why should they give a damn, its our phone and can use it as we please!
    What he said

Green Apple
    Thanks

@mwhite, the USA is a Republic not a Democracy.

@Evaded, Obama also won the popular vote.

@Bish0p 34, Yes the carrier will most likely unlock the device after the contract is up.

Now, personally, I see a bunch of people crying because they can't legally screw over companies any more.
    It's simple, you want and unlocked phone, either pay your 2 year contract off or buy an non subsidized unlocked phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    @Bish0p 34, Yes the carrier will most likely unlock the device after the contract is up.
    They're not required to do that. And everything I'm hearing about Sprint is that they simply won't do it. So if I'm already fed up with their craptacular speeds and want to switch, my shiny iPhone 4S is basically an iPod Touch when I stop using their service.

It's mine, and the hardware supports GSM. But there's just a big "F.U." stop sign in the software even after I've paid my 2 years. That's absurd.

Thanks

Usually I refrain from commenting on comments, but we have, in this thread, people whining about being unable to rip off businesses, about the War in Vietnam, about a clown for a president (I thought the LAST one was the clown), about the electoral college, about whether when you sign a contract saying that you "lease a phone" that you own it, and on and on.

Really, this is about businesses in America charging a fee for a service. What's more American than that? The business of America IS business, after all. If you don't like it, vote for a Republican who will change the laws to make businesses more consumer-friendly. Oh, wait, that won't work.

Yes, your phone is locked to pay for the subsidy. Do I like that? No, I don't. But I'd rather buy a cheap phone that's locked than an expensive one that is not. AT&T WILL unlock your phone at the end of your plan cycle. I can't speak for the other carriers.

I also agree that, if you go overseas, it would be nice for your carrier to unlock your phone to save YOU money. But, oops, the carrier is in the business of MAKING money and, guess what, roaming charges make them lots of money. Hmmm, be nice or make money? If you were a stockholder in that company, you'd be screaming if your investment didn't make (more) money because the company was being nice. Totally the American way. Been that way for a long, long time. It's not like the current government changed anything.

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned that we hire people to run our government, well, actually we have freely-run elections in which usually (pesky electoral college, which president got elected without a majority of the popular vote recently? Oh, yeah, that was little George) the majority of people choose (not hire) a president.

Let's keep this about phones, ok people?
    Senior

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

The nerve of some of these commenters who sympathize with corporate greed.

You speak as if these corporations have OUR best interests in hand. They nickel and dime us, especially with texting plans which cost virtually nothing for them to maintain. Look at our pricing/technology compared to other advanced nations. Here in America, corporations are after money and profit at the expense of us average Joes.

This is a stupid law designed to keep us locked into paying inflated prices for services that are now necessary to have in this day in age. I hope that this law stirs up enough people to bring about a change to this new law.

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

So much for the land of the free LOL In Australia it's illegal for telcos to refuse to unlock your phone ( though they can charge a fee for doing so ). Seems like the USA government care more about big business than they do about the citizens of their country.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Another great reason to switch to android. Unlocked my note 2 the day I got it. All you have to do is put into airplane mode and enter the phones system options and change carrier to unlocked. It took literally 30 seconds. Tested it on my friends T-Mobile and it worked perfectly!

Thanks

Sympathize with corporate greed? No. Understand it? Yes. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (which means, if you read your history, to make money). Would I like it to be different? You bet. Is it going to get different? Not while we have the best Congress money can buy. You don't like how things are, quit voting for the clowns that keep things the way they are. (Hint- Congress.) If you don't like how a corporation treats you, here's a hint: don't buy its stuff. But to expect a change without working (voting is working) at is is worthless.
    Senior

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Usually I refrain from commenting on comments, but we have, in this thread, people whining about being unable to rip off businesses, about the War in Vietnam, about a clown for a president (I thought the LAST one was the clown), about the electoral college, about whether when you sign a contract saying that you "lease a phone" that you own it, and on and on.

Really, this is about businesses in America charging a fee for a service. What's more American than that? The business of America IS business, after all. If you don't like it, vote for a Republican who will change the laws to make businesses more consumer-friendly. Oh, wait, that won't work.

Yes, your phone is locked to pay for the subsidy. Do I like that? No, I don't. But I'd rather buy a cheap phone that's locked than an expensive one that is not. AT&T WILL unlock your phone at the end of your plan cycle. I can't speak for the other carriers.

I also agree that, if you go overseas, it would be nice for your carrier to unlock your phone to save YOU money. But, oops, the carrier is in the business of MAKING money and, guess what, roaming charges make them lots of money. Hmmm, be nice or make money? If you were a stockholder in that company, you'd be screaming if your investment didn't make (more) money because the company was being nice. Totally the American way. Been that way for a long, long time. It's not like the current government changed anything.

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned that we hire people to run our government, well, actually we have freely-run elections in which usually (pesky electoral college, which president got elected without a majority of the popular vote recently? Oh, yeah, that was little George) the majority of people choose (not hire) a president.

Let's keep this about phones, ok people?
    Ya but why should the government care? Oh wait, the companies give them money. But the governments not a business...Hmmmmmmmm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    also agree that, if you go overseas, it would be nice for your carrier to unlock your phone to save YOU money. But, oops, the carrier is in the business of MAKING money and, guess what, roaming charges make them lots of money. Hmmm, be nice or make money? If you were a stockholder in that company, you'd be screaming if your investment didn't make (more) money because the company was being nice. Totally the American way. Been that way for a long, long time. It's not like the current government changed anything.
    maybe a little off topic, but that sentiment perfectly nailed my perspective on why the business model is doomed to fail. isn't the point of a business to provide things people need while allowing the business owner to make a living? you know, a mutually beneficial system? well, it seems that once a corporation reaches a certain size, it becomes a profit hungry monster incapable of doing anything but putting profit above all else, eventually at the expense of the customer. when we have massive corporations whose 'business' is turning a profit selling the very resources millions of people need to survive, and that corporation is run by a few very wealthy people with nothing but profit on their mind... well, that's a very dangerous situation

iPhone? More like MyPhone nokian93's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    Another great reason to switch to android. Unlocked my note 2 the day I got it. All you have to do is put into airplane mode and enter the phones system options and change carrier to unlocked. It took literally 30 seconds. Tested it on my friends T-Mobile and it worked perfectly!
    your dumb, you make it sound like it was that easy. with the updates that samsung is releasing, they are blocking this. be more specific instead of puking out what you read on xda. Android isnt better than iOs and vice versa. They both have their benefits and downfalls.

Source: I have a note 2, galaxy s 3, iphone 5 and nexus 4.
    1st gen 16 giger on 1.1.4 on att....why....because i like my mms.
    1st gen 16 giger on 2.1 on T-MO
    1st gen 8 giger just unlocked laying around

Green Apple
    Thanks

First they took away large sodas... People said "mehh nobody needs that much soda." Then they want to take away our guns... people said "mehh nobody needs them." When the government starts deciding what we need and keeps us from having what we want, it's only a matter of time before they start taking away more and more rights. Nobody NEEDS a ferrari. Nobody NEEDS a cellphone. When are they going to take those from us? Oh they already are half way there with the cellphones..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i hope this doesnt happen here in the UK