+ Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Team of iOS Hackers Call Themselves the "evad3rs"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Ours, but actually I only see 11 out of the 25 latest updated threads being theme-related. Used to be more than half. (I think?)
    Thanks

Ours,
    but actually I only see 11 out of the 25 latest updated threads being theme-related.
    Used to be more than half. (I think?)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,228 Times in 6,987 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Ours,
    but actually I only see 11 out of the 25 latest updated threads being theme-related.
    Used to be more than half. (I think?)
    Oh, it's definitely more at times. The theme section keeps MMi moving that's for sure. Our jailbreak section is not to be underestimated though, or mocked, especially by a forum who I have seen two moderators giving inaccurate information on 3 separate occasions (and that's with just reading over there for 30 minutes).

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,597 Times in 6,428 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Will that one allow you to hook up external drives to it? I want to get a router to do that for all my media

Also think I found my issue is I'm on a single ban wireless n. because of devices like atv and other 2.4 ghz devices my router is locked in to the 2.4 and not able to use the 5 ghz frequency.

Need to get a dual ban so my 2.4 ghz devices uses that frequency and my iPhones can use the 5ghz band
    Hey bro, airport extreme is the way to go. Won't let you down, very easy to setup. Can easily plug in a network printer or hard drive. Guest network, dual band and so far it has played well with all my devices.

My home has a network that is probably better than most small businesses. I've been through my share of routers.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 787 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Hey bro, airport extreme is the way to go. Won't let you down, very easy to setup. Can easily plug in a network printer or hard drive. Guest network, dual band and so far it has played well with all my devices.

My home has a network that is probably better than most small businesses. I've been through my share of routers.
    Does all of the same things as the Linksys, for $100 more.

However, one advantage to the Airport Extreme: "there's an app for that."

Thanks

Yeah bud, I ran lynksys for years, but I have found true set and forget it bliss with AE. Oh yeah, there's an app for that is the icing on the cake.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 01-25-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Krima (01-26-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    USB storage ports begin on the model that I use.

Also, if you only get 12Mb/s from your ISP, a single-band router can handle that speed just fine. You will only notice improvements from a dual-band router if your ISP offers speeds >20Mb/s, to be honest.

Your wired connections should demonstrate the full throughput as promised by your ISP.

The only thing that would be limited by lack of dual-band Wi-Fi is your wireless speed.
    From what I understand is a dual band router allows the the router to use 2.4 and 5ghz at the same time. Because 2.4 can be interrupted as its the most common frequency having a dual band that allows 5gz wireless devices to connect to is allows for better connectivity.

Keep in mind I have a wireless printer, Apple TV, iPad mini, MacBook Pro, 2 iPhone 5's, my hackintosh, and an iPhone 4S all on the same wireless.

Having a single ban at 2.4 ghz may be hindering my connectivity. Dual band will allow my i5's to connect to the 5ghz band

Thanks

From what I understand is a dual band router allows the the router to use 2.4 and 5ghz at the same time. Because 2.4 can be interrupted as its the most common frequency having a dual band that allows 5gz wireless devices to connect to is allows for better connectivity.

Keep in mind I have a wireless printer, Apple TV, iPad mini, MacBook Pro, 2 iPhone 5's, my hackintosh, and an iPhone 4S all on the same wireless.

Having a single ban at 2.4 ghz may be hindering my connectivity. Dual band will allow my i5's to connect to the 5ghz band
    While wireless interference is possible, it's hardly common in my own real world experiences.

I know that before I got the dual-band I would be able to get solid 12Mb/s wireless each and every time no matter what device. That's also when my ISP cap was 10Mb/s. I have a new ISP and new router now.

Thanks

While wireless interference is possible, it's hardly common in my own real world experiences.

I know that before I got the dual-band I would be able to get solid 12Mb/s wireless each and every time no matter what device. That's also when my ISP cap was 10Mb/s. I have a new ISP and new router now.
    A single ban router can handle just as much as a dual band as far as bandwidth is concerned. "Dual band" routers only play advantage to being able to handle the 2.4 and 5 ghz frequency at the same time.

"The GHz range of a wireless radio is only partially related to the speed of a wireless network. For example, 802.11a wireless operates at 5GHz and 802.11g at 2.4GHz, but both support the same maximum data rate of 54 Mbps. However, newer 802.11n routers have the capability of simultaneous dual-band operation on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges, allowing clients to connect on different bands for more flexibility and less interference. 802.11ac expands on that, running entirely in the 5GHz band."

So as far as my understanding. "N" routers can handle 150-450Mbps on a single ban. So really a single ban router can handle speeds of even really fast Internet. Now if you have a dual band router the router can offer those spreads on each band.

So my thinking is that because majority of my devices operate in 2.4 ghz my single ban router needs to support all of these devices on one single band. Where as a dual band would allow my iPhone 5's to use the 5ghz band.

Either way. I'm thinking my router just sucks *** haha

Thanks

It was a long way, but you did finally get to the point.

lol

Thanks
    Thanked 9,071 Times in 4,562 Posts

2 things:
    1)In the lengthy tech-ie exchange between Suby and Anthony have we all concluded that Suby's ISP cap (of 12Mbps down) is more his issue with the iP5 or is his mono band router more the issue?
    2) King, does the AE have all the advanced VPN and port forwarding options that other 'small business'-type routers have? Linksys is known for catering to small businesses.

Thanks, all.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,725 Times in 2,420 Posts

Yeah bud, I ran lynksys for years, but I have found true set and forget it bliss with AE. Oh yeah, there's an app for that is the icing on the cake.
    One cool thing about some linksys routers is that u can flash it and inject a Linux based custom firmware. This will give u elevated privileges so u can increase processing speeds, range, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks

A single ban router can handle just as much as a dual band as far as bandwidth is concerned. "Dual band" routers only play advantage to being able to handle the 2.4 and 5 ghz frequency at the same time.

"The GHz range of a wireless radio is only partially related to the speed of a wireless network. For example, 802.11a wireless operates at 5GHz and 802.11g at 2.4GHz, but both support the same maximum data rate of 54 Mbps. However, newer 802.11n routers have the capability of simultaneous dual-band operation on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges, allowing clients to connect on different bands for more flexibility and less interference. 802.11ac expands on that, running entirely in the 5GHz band."

So as far as my understanding. "N" routers can handle 150-450Mbps on a single ban. So really a single ban router can handle speeds of even really fast Internet. Now if you have a dual band router the router can offer those spreads on each band.

So my thinking is that because majority of my devices operate in 2.4 ghz my single ban router needs to support all of these devices on one single band. Where as a dual band would allow my iPhone 5's to use the 5ghz band.

Brain Dead :P

Thanks

I honestly think you just need faster services from your ISP. I had the same buffering problems with my old ISP that offered a 10MB/s speed.

Now with FiOS I get 50MB/s and I've never buffered on a single video on any web site.

You told us you get 12MB/s down right? What speeds are you promised by your ISP?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    2 things:
    1)In the lengthy tech-ie exchange between Suby and Anthony have we all concluded that Suby's ISP cap (of 12Mbps down) is more his issue with the iP5 or is his mono band router more the issue?
    2) King, does the AE have all the advanced VPN and port forwarding options that other 'small business'-type routers have? Linksys is known for catering to small businesses.

Thanks, all.
    Yes, yes and yes.

@suby
    I need more warp speed Scotty!

Thanks

K
    I honestly think you just need faster services from your ISP. I had the same buffering problems with my old ISP that offered a 10MB/s speed.

Now with FiOS I get 50MB/s and I've never buffered on a single video on any web site.

You told us you get 12MB/s down right? What speeds are you promised by your ISP?
    That is my promised and 12mb is plenty to be able to stream. Please keep in mind my buffering ONLY happens on my iPhone 5. I stream HD movies on my Apple TV with out any issue.

I would agree with you if it happened on everything. But out of the 5 other devices (computers and Idevices) I never have buffer issues. Only on the iPhone 5

Also the iPhone 5 buffer issue is a well known issue

2 things:

Thanks, all.
    You tell me:
    Atv - no buffering while streaming HD movies

iPad mini - no buffering watching any videos.

MacBook - no buffering watching any videos

Hackintosh - no buffering watching any videos.

iPhone 4S - no buffering on any videos

iPhone 5 x 2 - buffers on EVERY video small or large, SD or HD

So if this was a bandwidth problem wouldn't I have an issue on all my devices?

Also I have a wireless printer connected to my network. So that is 8 devices that all connect to my router and share a single band. Also I live in a condo complex with very close neighbors. Who all have wireless devices and wireless phone that most all commonly run on a 2.4ghz frequency

My guess is I need to get a dual band router so my iPhone 5's can operate on the 5ghz band while the other devices that already have no issue run off the 2.4 ghz band
    Last edited by subywrex; 01-26-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks

K

That is my promised and 12mb is plenty to be able to stream. Please keep in mind my buffering ONLY happens on my iPhone 5. I stream HD movies on my Apple TV with out any issue.

I would agree with you if it happened on everything. But out of the 5 other devices (computers and Idevices) I never have buffer issues. Only on the iPhone 5

Also the iPhone 5 buffer issue is a well known issue

You tell me:
    Atv - no buffering while streaming HD movies

iPad mini - no buffering watching any videos.

MacBook - no buffering watching any videos

Hackintosh - no buffering watching any videos.

iPhone 4S - no buffering on any videos

iPhone 5 x 2 - buffers on EVERY video small or large, SD or HD

So if this was a bandwidth problem wouldn't I have an issue on all my devices?
    100% Agreed. Your issue is not an issue of cable download stream -- FOR THE NON-iPHONE 5 DEVICES! The ip5 could still add something to the equation that wound require greater downstream from your ISP. Your best way to test this theory Is to go to a friend's house who has dual band Wi-Fi and see if you're still stuck with buffer problems on video. That would tell you for 100% sure If it's an iPhone 5 problem or not. If so return it and get a new one. If the buffering problems disappear at your friends house who has dual band then it has nothing to do with your iPhone 5.

My guess is I need to get a dual band router so my iPhone 5's can operate on the 5ghz band while the other devices that already have no issue run off the 2.4 ghz band
    From my reading that's not how it works. It's not as if one device or another will choose one band or the other. The two bands together create an "additive" strength. But I could be wrong on that. Let's see what Anthony or King say.

Thanks

If its simultaenous dual band then it basically creates a wifi network for each freq range to run simultaneously. This is what the airport extreme does automatically. I would assume other routers handle this similarly, but I've only been using this one since I've had a 5ghz devices.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 01-26-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks

If its simultaenous dual band then it basically creates a wifi network for each freq range to run simultaneously. This is what the airport extreme does automatically. I would assume other routers handle this similarly, but I've only been using this one since I've had a 5ghz devices.
    Correct. So rather all devices running on one single band it allows you to connect 5ghz devices to a dedicated 5ghz band and 2.4 onto its own band and operate at the same time.

In essence it's like having two wireless n's in one router

100% Agreed. Your issue is not an issue of cable download stream -- FOR THE NON-iPHONE 5 DEVICES! The ip5 could still add something to the equation that wound require greater downstream from your ISP. Your best way to test this theory Is to go to a friend's house who has dual band Wi-Fi and see if you're still stuck with buffer problems on video. That would tell you for 100% sure If it's an iPhone 5 problem or not. If so return it and get a new one. If the buffering problems disappear at your friends house who has dual band then it has nothing to do with your iPhone 5.

From my reading that's not how it works. It's not as if one device or another will choose one band or the other. The two bands together create an "additive" strength. But I could be wrong on that. Let's see what Anthony or King say.
    A single band wireless n to my knowledge only uses the 2.4 ghz frequency. The iPhone 5 is capable of connecting on a 2.4 or 5 ghz frequency so having dual band allows 5ghz capable devices to connect to that frequency.
    Last edited by subywrex; 01-26-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks

Yep, you got it bro.

Thanks

Okay then - so how do we explain why Suby's ip5 buffers video on the same 12MB downstream that his 4S plays the video without buffering?

And for what it's worth I was able to play HD video with no buffering on my 4S on a 12MB downstream easily. 12MB is plenty fast for HD video stream.