Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung's Galaxy S IV said to Outshine Apple's Retina Quality Display

Thanks

Default Samsung's Galaxy S IV said to Outshine Apple's Retina Quality Display

Samsung’s next flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S IV, is likely to be released in Q2 of 2013. Rumor has it that it will be launched in April and will be sporting a slew of new features and specs. Among the new specs is a screen that is rumored to outdo Apple’s Retina display. It is said to have a pixel density of 440ppi, which is more than the iPhone’s Retina display (326ppi).

When Jobs first announced the iPhone 4’s Retina display, he said there’s a magic pixel density threshold that makes pixels indistinguishable for the human retina. This number was roughly around 300ppi. Jobs was right as numerous mathematical formulas and scientists supported the Retina display’s qualities but Retina doesn’t seem to be enough. Several people are claiming that the battle to make screens with higher pixel densities doesn’t matter because the threshold of it being useful has already passed. These people are said to be wrong as boosting pixel density turns digital objects on a screen into life-like objects. It’s also something Apple has prided itself on for years.

The supposed 440ppi Galaxy S IV would step far beyond the barrier and furthermore, it’s not even alone in doing so. Other smartphones such as Sony’s Xperia Z and HTC’s Droid DNA both have 5-inch 440ppi displays that have already been announced. Although the new pixel layout may result in the highest pixel density for the Galaxy S IV, which is arriving considerably later than the other two phones in this range, it may not even produce a noticeable difference to consumers based on the limitations of our own eyes. Similar to the competition for the biggest display, which seems to have gotten out of hand, the competition for the most pixels seems to be going in the same direction. Still, 440ppi is nothing to scoff at as it’s still quite impressive.

Source: TechCrunch via UberGizmo

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Until they improve their CDMA radio/antenna combo I won't own another one. The iPhone is slightly better but both get stomped when used side by side here locally by the Motorola RAZR MAXX or MAXX HD we have (yes I have 3 lines for me to play with in addition to 1for my wide and 1 for my son for a total of 5).
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    Until they improve their CDMA radio/antenna combo I won't own another one. The iPhone is slightly better but both get stomped when used side by side here locally by the Motorola RAZR MAXX or MAXX HD we have (yes I have 3 lines for me to play with in addition to 1for my wide and 1 for my son for a total of 5).
    That's cool.

Between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3 the S3 wins everytime. Its just a better phone with more features. So the screen has a little less pixels? SO? Care factor about that = 0
    I would rather a better phone than that tiny pixels.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StanSmith For This Useful Post:

Schnedi (01-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    Between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3 the S3 wins everytime. Its just a better phone with more features. So the screen has a little less pixels? SO? Care factor about that = 0
    So why exactly do you have an iPhone 5 as it states in your bio?

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    New features they have stolen from Apple just as they always have !

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    I agree with him. I've also owned both.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah this is the puppy I'm looking forward to if the specs are as described.
    I have purchased the iPhone5 twice, but couldn't get excited with it.
    Since the first generation iPhone its been the device of choice for me till the 5.
    I was one of those nutz that was on line at 0500 on day 1 to pick up the 5, and then after plying with it returned it on day 12.
    I then again purchased the iPh5 in December, but it just doesn't add enough for me to get excited about it.
    Maybe if or when the jailbreak of the 5 comes out it may draw me back, but its bad when the jailbreak tweaks are available on other OS's without jailbreak or rooting.
    I since my back and fourth withe the iPh5 I've purchased a Razr Maxx HD and its a really nice device.
    The Android OS has come along way since its early days, Swype, better looking acting app's, other features / functions have me for now.
    Anyway, so I am interested in the s4 and hope it offers all that the s3 / note 2 offers and more.

Just my opinion for now

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking too. S3 is a great phone but will take my non-jailbroken iPhone 5 over it any day. And if apple is aware of all these phones attempting to out retina them I'm sure they will bust *** to get on par with them or create a new form of retina display somehow

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking too. S3 is a great phone but will take my non-jailbroken iPhone 5 over it any day. And if apple is aware of all these phones attempting to out retina them I'm sure they will bust *** to get on par with them or create a new form of retina display somehow
    Exactly. The main reason I bought an s3 about 4-5 months ago was for the larger display, but after a week or two the novelty wears off and becomes too big and clumsy. I then had to fork out £250 after selling the s3 to get the iPhone 5, should of just gone to the 5 at the start.

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok so unless you are holding the phone an inch away from your eye, you are not and probably will not notice the increase PPI. Just some marketing hype from Samsung to fool the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    Ok so unless you are holding the phone an inch away from your eye, you are not and probably will not notice the increase PPI. Just some marketing hype from Samsung to fool the general public.
    That's like saying you can't tell the difference retina display and non-retina. You can tell.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    That's like saying you can't tell the difference retina display and non-retina. You can tell.
    I bought an iPhone 3GS after the 4 came out because it was cheaper, than I walked into an apple store, saw the 4, and was like "oh." It was detectable from 10 feet away. Sad day...

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Good thing android users don't care about battery life.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwraw8482 For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (01-24-2013)

i just hope they make it with the flexible screen, that would be amazing!!

but don't mind if they don't do it, i'll buy the S4 for sure!

i had the i5 but it's completely useless without jailbreak! i was gonna sell it but decided to give it to my mom.

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    PMSL. You're on an apple based website, commenting on another company fooling the public with marketing hype?! hahaha. Apple are by far the worst company for this bull**** and the iPhone 5 proves this.

Apple finally give in a realise they are behind the game with such a small screen, then all they do is stretch the 4s and call it a 5. Then they claim it was designed this way to "fit your hand perfectly". Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor from laughing...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Amraam For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (01-25-2013)

It's sad that it has come to this, big numbers that fool the general public. OMG! 23904823904 ppi!! i gotz to havz it!!11!1.
    *sigh*
    Its like the 'megapixel war' with camera's - people just see a bigger number and think its better. Not to say apples 326 ppi is the magic number either. Cant imagine ever using a phone closer than 15cm, so whatever magic PPI that is, good - anything more - please spare us all!

440 ppi is just a marketing ploy. If you can't detect a difference at 300ppi and Apple went higher than that with 326ppi the hip to 440ppi won't make a difference. It's pixel density. That has nothing to do with the actual LCD used, as some companies have warmer screens giving the whites a slighter different tint.

They are doing it just to say its a higher number than Apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    PMSL. You're on an apple based website, commenting on another company fooling the public with marketing hype?! hahaha. Apple are by far the worst company for this bull**** and the iPhone 5 proves this.

Apple finally give in a realise they are behind the game with such a small screen, then all they do is stretch the 4s and call it a 5. Then they claim it was designed this way to "fit your hand perfectly". Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor from laughing...
    This is so true! I like the 4s better then the 5. It's the same phone but taller.. My i5 has issues with wifi and my 4s doesn't! I just hate how developers take so long in updating there apps on android then with iOS. Also sucks on waiting for a Jailbreak for the new iPhone by the time they release a Jb ios7 will be released!

This reminds me of the megapixels battle in digital cameras. People see an 18 MP camera and they HAVE TO HAVE IT! Failing to realize that unless they're going to be printing posters of their images 7 or 8 megapixels is more than enough.

I've seen multiple people buy an inferior camera simply because it had 12 MP over the competitors 10 MP.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast