+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung's Galaxy S IV said to Outshine Apple's Retina Quality Display

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by holyshnikes 440 ppi is just a marketing ploy. If you can't detect a difference at 300ppi and Apple went higher than that with 326ppi the hip to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    440 ppi is just a marketing ploy. If you can't detect a difference at 300ppi and Apple went higher than that with 326ppi the hip to 440ppi won't make a difference. It's pixel density. That has nothing to do with the actual LCD used, as some companies have warmer screens giving the whites a slighter different tint.

They are doing it just to say its a higher number than Apples.
    Exactly. Thank you. This is just another useless and expensive pretension that will ultimately be eaten up by and paid for by Samsungites because the company says its display is better than Apple's. The truth is, unless you regularly use a magnifying glass to your phone, this does nothing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    So why exactly do you have an iPhone 5 as it states in your bio?
    This whole modmyi website is full of android trolls now. Also they get strenuous protection from mods as well. Just let them troll to themselves, modmyi won't give you any protection whatsoever

Thanks
    Thanked 14,751 Times in 6,860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    This whole modmyi website is full of android trolls now. Also they get strenuous protection from mods as well. Just let them troll to themselves, modmyi won't give you any protection whatsoever
    To clarify the news section of MMi is full of android trolls. Not the whole site. And they get the same treatment as any member here. We enforce the rules, not opinions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BloodNreaper View Post
    This is so true! I like the 4s better then the 5. It's the same phone but taller.. My i5 has issues with wifi and my 4s doesn't! I just hate how developers take so long in updating there apps on android then with iOS. Also sucks on waiting for a Jailbreak for the new iPhone by the time they release a Jb ios7 will be released!
    For me the greatest improvement to the i5 was 1gb ram. 512 was not enough. The larger screen was just a bonus, and it was a HUGE improvement over my i4. If I had a 4S I probably would have waited for the 5S.

...And waiting for the android trolls to point out the 2gb RAM in their devices...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnutt For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (01-25-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone slap690's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    I think it's just that a lot of MMI members are giving Android a try while still feeling the love of a website they spent years of their lives on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung has an advantage over apple which is processing power. I still give apple the credit of retina. No samsung device can compare to that. Hands down. And apple makes up for the power with iOS.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 720 Posts

But our 330ppi on a 3.5"-4" iPhones compared to 5" 440ppi phones. Wouldn't that balance it out to all look the same?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    But our 330ppi on a 3.5"-4" iPhones compared to 5" 440ppi phones. Wouldn't that balance it out to all look the same?
    You would think. Haha It doesn't.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

At that high of level you're not really going to notice a difference. They just want to say it has a higher ppi because ppl will actually believe that it's a better phone...which unfortunately will work on some. I think the S 4 will be cool, but to make the main selling point the ppi upgrade...its pretty lame.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    That's like saying you can't tell the difference retina display and non-retina. You can tell.
    No it's not, there is a noticeable difference between retina and non-retina.. that's the whole point. Going from retina to 'super'-retina won't be noticeable unless you look really closely at it or have hawk eyes..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    At that high of level you're not really going to notice a difference. They just want to say it has a higher ppi because ppl will actually believe that it's a better phone...which unfortunately will work on some. I think the S 4 will be cool, but to make the main selling point the ppi upgrade...its pretty lame.
    I think the main selling point for the screen will be its 1080p full HD screen, most people don't have a clue what ppi means.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    That's like saying you can't tell the difference retina display and non-retina. You can tell.
    How is that in anyway similar. The retina display is named that way because the individual pixels can't be seen at normal viewing distances. Where as non retina you can. So at normal distances the human eye won't be able to tell the difference between 330 and 440 ppi.

Now when you hold the retina display really close you can see the pixel edge on corners, so the only advantage to having a higher ppi is that when your holding your phone a couple inches from your face you won't be able to see pixels. Lol

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    New features they have stolen from Apple just as they always have !
    which new features would that be?

NFC chip?
    LED notification?
    Vibrate on missed notification?
    Voice CONTROL, not voice commands but total voice control?
    Apps on home screen?
    720p display?
    2GB RAM?
    5.1 dolby surround sound?
    USB port?
    Micro SD slot?
    Smart Stay?
    SBeam?
    4G/LTE?
    Quad Core processor?
    Removable Battery?
    Front camera that's more than 0.7mb? ( I love that one)
    Split Screen view?
    Multitasking?
    Video Player on top of other apps?
    32 Camera settings?
    Panorama mode? (you just got this one)
    Shoot stills while recording video?
    1080p video recording? ( you just got this one)
    10:19 aspect ratio?
    Bluetooth that actually works?

and that's just from the Galaxy S3, I haven't even mentioned the features of the Galaxy Note.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

Schnedi (01-24-2013), Silverado1987 (01-24-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple unveils "retina" display on iPhone: "OMG Amazing, other phones suck."

Samsung may come out with a higher quality display: "Waste of time, you wont see the difference."

Stay Classy MMi users...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    which new features would that be?

NFC chip?
    LED notification?
    Vibrate on missed notification?
    Voice CONTROL, not voice commands but total voice control?
    Apps on home screen?
    720p display?
    2GB RAM?
    5.1 dolby surround sound?
    USB port?
    Micro SD slot?
    Smart Stay?
    SBeam?
    4G/LTE?
    Quad Core processor?
    Removable Battery?
    Front camera that's more than 0.7mb? ( I love that one)
    Split Screen view?
    Multitasking?
    Video Player on top of other apps?
    32 Camera settings?
    Panorama mode? (you just got this one)
    Shoot stills while recording video?
    1080p video recording? ( you just got this one)
    10:19 aspect ratio?
    Bluetooth that actually works?

and that's just from the Galaxy S3, I haven't even mentioned the features of the Galaxy Note.
    Haha talk about trying to get your point across. But the stuff apple haven't put in their devices are because they are pointless. Who really watches a video on their phone whilst texting, browsing, etc. and if people wanted them things so bad we have/will have a jailbreak to enable such things.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    Yeah this is the puppy I'm looking forward to if the specs are as described.
    I have purchased the iPhone5 twice, but couldn't get excited with it.
    Since the first generation iPhone its been the device of choice for me till the 5.
    I was one of those nutz that was on line at 0500 on day 1 to pick up the 5, and then after plying with it returned it on day 12.
    I then again purchased the iPh5 in December, but it just doesn't add enough for me to get excited about it.
    Maybe if or when the jailbreak of the 5 comes out it may draw me back, but its bad when the jailbreak tweaks are available on other OS's without jailbreak or rooting.
    I since my back and fourth withe the iPh5 I've purchased a Razr Maxx HD and its a really nice device.
    The Android OS has come along way since its early days, Swype, better looking acting app's, other features / functions have me for now.
    Anyway, so I am interested in the s4 and hope it offers all that the s3 / note 2 offers and more.

Just my opinion for now

I think the S4 will combine the exclusive features of the S3 and the Note/Note 2 into one awesome device.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    Exactly. The main reason I bought an s3 about 4-5 months ago was for the larger display, but after a week or two the novelty wears off and becomes too big and clumsy. I then had to fork out 250 after selling the s3 to get the iPhone 5, should of just gone to the 5 at the start.
    the S3 became to big and clumsy? that's the most untrue statement Ive read all week.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Good thing android users don't care about battery life.
    why do apple users bring up Android OS and Android phone problems from 2010? those are things of the past., if you spent time actually using some of those phones you wouldn't be so inclined to cut-paste inaccuracies and lies you read from other apple fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Exactly. Thank you. This is just another useless and expensive pretension that will ultimately be eaten up by and paid for by Samsungites because the company says its display is better than Apple's. The truth is, unless you regularly use a magnifying glass to your phone, this does nothing.
    everything is a marketing ploy when the iPhone doesnt have it but when the iPhone does, if ever--its "revolutionary" as for eaten up and paid for by Samsungnites---apple has successfully sold you the same phone 3 times (4,4S,5) lmfao.

when Android phones had 4"+ screens apple fans said 3.5 was fine., now you got 4" screens and you say 3.5" was too small and some of you were drooling the other day over the story about an iPhone with a 4.8" display

when Android phones had 4G/LTE you apple fans said 3G was fast enough., now you got 4G.

when Android phones an awesome notification center., apple copied and now you have the same thing you criticized before.

Android phones do things with stock Android that even jailbroken iPhones cant do yet you cry over having to wait for a jailbreak so you can try to have things on your iPhone that every Android--even cheap ones can do.

Android phones have NFC chips but you apple fan want NFC in the next, nex, next iPhone.

Android phones have 1080 16:9 (16:10) displays and apple still doesnt have 720p yet but Im certain at some point in the near future the iPhone will have it then you'll praise it as the best thing ever.

all iPhones up til the 5 had a 0.7mp front camera because anything more was not needed/wanted......well now you finally have it

all iPhones up to the 5 had only 512mb of ram cause you said nobody needs a full gig.....well, now you have it.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 01-24-2013 at 02:59 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

Schnedi (01-24-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Actually, 440ppi won't be enough, given the amount of time I plan to spend looking at my screen through an electron microscope ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by slap690 View Post
    I think it's just that a lot of MMI members are giving Android a try while still feeling the love of a website they spent years of their lives on.
    Exactly. Thank you for some solid, non-flaming words of wisdom. In my experience of both iOS and Android, jOnGarrett's comments are painfully accurate. Apple needs better hardware, a better selection of hardware and they urgently need to allow people the flexibility to do what they want with their devices. Remember what happened in the 1980s, when Apple tried to make a single piece of premium hardware with its own closed ecosystem? If it hadn't been for Bill Gates bailing them out, Apple would have gone bankrupt. Yet Apple's now making the same mistake again in trying to compete with Android. It's odd that Apple can't see history repeating itself, even though all the analysts can.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Good thing android users don't care about battery life.
    All encompassing incorrect statement. Care to compare the battery life of a RAZR MAXX/MAXX HD against ANY iPhone?
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    440 ppi is just a marketing ploy. If you can't detect a difference at 300ppi and Apple went higher than that with 326ppi the hip to 440ppi won't make a difference. It's pixel density. That has nothing to do with the actual LCD used, as some companies have warmer screens giving the whites a slighter different tint.

They are doing it just to say its a higher number than Apples.
    Sorry to debunk your theory but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I saw the 440ppi screens at CES. And believe me, you can see the difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    Sorry to debunk your theory but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I saw the 440ppi screens at CES. And believe me, you can see the difference.
    More likely what your seeing is the clarity and saturation of the screen. It's well documented what the human eye can detect and what it can't. For a person with 20/20 vision holding your phone 10 inches away from your face your eye can't see any pixelation.

So any higher pixel density at that range could not be noticed as 330 dpi is already past that threshold.

Now you put the device 5 inches then yes on the retina display you can see pixelation and perhaps on the 440dpi screens you can.

5 inches from your face is really damn close and not a normal distance.