+ Reply
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Planetbeing: The Future is Looking Bright for Jailbreaking, Pod2g Urges iOS 6.1 Release

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by King_O_Hill Heres my simple answer: Piracy is theft. People do lose revenue. Jailbreaking itself is a victimless crime. I'm almost there, King. Hackers accept donations for code
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,346 Times in 4,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Heres my simple answer:

Piracy is theft. People do lose revenue.

Jailbreaking itself is a victimless crime.
    I'm almost there, King. Hackers accept donations for code they 'stole' from Apple. Making $ on Apple's code. No problem there for you?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I'm almost there, King. Hackers accept donations for code they 'stole' from Apple. Making $ on Apple's code. No problem there for you?
    What code are they "stealing" I'm not a hacker but my guess is they use there own code to exploit vulnerabilities.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-24-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,150 Times in 5,907 Posts

But they don't steal any code from apple bro. They only alter / add to it. Apple does not lose any $ from the actual jailbreak of an iDevice (sorry, that's my term).

If they were selling bootleg copies of iOS, that would be different.

I think that Apple might actually gain more from the jailbreak than anything they could potentially lose. Look at the free R&D alone for tweaks and plugging exploits.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 01-24-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-24-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,085 Times in 2,243 Posts

Yeah. Fair enough, Krima. What's your opinion on whether ModMyI could make a convincing case why to disallow threads about piracy (an illegal activity) and allow discussions about jailbreaking iPads (another illegal activity). I would be interested in your take on it...
    My take on this is ModMyi is making a fair and clear distinction between piracy and the law of the land. Even if it has been made illegal to jailbreak the iPad I would say morally and ethically there is nothing wrong with it. I personally jailbreak my devices because of themes and tweaks exclusively.

I firmly believe that we have a right to customize the devices that we buy. What's illegal is not always wrong and what's legal is not always right. An example that comes to mind is the Jim Crow laws. I know this is an extreme example but our rights should be allowed to be expressed in an open forum without the enforcement of the literal definition of the law". Just my opinion though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-24-2013)

Thanks

But they don't steal any code from apple bro. They only alter / add to it. Apple does not lose any $ from the actual jailbreak of an iDevice (sorry, that's my term).

I think that Apple might actually gain more from the jailbreak than anything they could potentially lose. Look at the free R&D alone for tweaks and plugging exploits.
    Additionally, if they were stealing code of apples, it would be a pretty easy case for apple to bring law suite against.

I've never even heard of anything as simple as a cease and desist letter being sent to these hackers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-24-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    What code are they "stealing" I'm not a hacker but my guess is they use there own code to exploit vulnerabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    My take on this is ModMyi is making a fair and clear distinction between piracy and the law of the land. Even if it has been made illegal to jailbreak the iPad I would say morally and ethically there is nothing wrong with it. I personally jailbreak my devices because of themes and tweaks exclusively.
    I firmly believe that we have a right to customize the devices that we buy. What's illegal is not always wrong and what's legal is not always right. An example that comes to mind is the Jim Crow laws. I know this is an extreme example but our rights should be allowed to be expressed in an open forum without the enforcement of the literal definition of the law". Just my opinion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Additionally, if they were stealing code of apples, it would be a pretty easy case for apple to bring law suite against.
    I've never even heard of anything as simple as a cease and desist letter being sent to these hackers.
    Good points, all, guys. I tend to agree with all your points there. It's a pretty gray line - but one I think I can live with myself. ModMyI makes the point that it's piracy's "illegality" that's the issue. That complicates this matter.

Thanks

Good points, all, guys. I tend to agree with all your points there. It's a pretty gray line - but one I think I can live with myself. ModMyI makes the point that it's piracy's "illegality" that's the issue. That complicates this matter.
    not sure where in MMI rules does it state they dont accept piracy because its "illegal". All i see is statements that say they do not accept Warez. Nothing in it said because its illegal.

Most likely they dont accept it here because its easy for forum to become all about piracy. Not allowing it allows the direction of the forum to stay on point (modding your iphone).

That is, atleast, my take on it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I know this is off topic but does anyone know what to do when the "white screen of death" fix doesnt' work?

Green Apple
    Thanks

removed

Could this be it?
    I am eagerly searching for 6.0.1 for iPhone 4s, and have also posted in the forum, anyone care to comment on blackp0ison ?
    Last edited by Simon; 01-28-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,750 Times in 6,860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ibiggy View Post
    removed

Could this be it?
    I am eagerly searching for 6.0.1 for iPhone 4s, and have also posted in the forum, anyone care to comment on blackp0ison ?
    No, that's not it. Never heard of blackp0ison, it's a fake.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ah, i see i have found a good soure of info now

BlackPois0n Fake Untethered Jailbreak Tool for iOS 6 Released – Beware
    By i Daud on January 27, 2013 in Jailbreak

The day Before Apple trolled its users by releasing iOS 6.1 Beta 5 to kick off iOS 6.1 Beta 4 from the Developers portal because it was about to expire on Monday Midnight. The release of iOS 6.1 Beta 5 brought some serious question with its self because people were expecting the Final GM build of iOS 6.1 to arrive instead of iOS 6.1 Beta 5. However, Apple played a nice move by naming the iOS 6.1GM as iOS 6.1 Beta 5 and removing the expiry date from the build. After digging deep into the iOS 6.1 Beta 5, the developers found out that this build of Beta 5 is just released for trolling and it is indeed the final GM build because no such references of Beta were found in this build.

The reason behind releasing this lame iOS 6.1 Beta 5 is the Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 6.0.x that is ready for the release, but iOS 6.1 is blocking the release of the Untethered Jailbreak. The iOS Hackers are waiting for the final version of the iOS 6.1 to arrive, so they can release the Tool after testing on that iOS 6.1 build as well for the iPhone/iPod/iPad. The only wait is for the iOS 6.1 final releases because if the Untethered Jailbreak is released before iOS 6.1, Apple will patch the exploit in iOS 6.1 update and there will be no Jailbreak for iOS 6.1. As of now, we all are aware of the fact that the Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 6 will arrive after iOS 6.1GM or iOS 6.1 public release has been done by Apple. Until the release isn’t made, the Untethered Jailbreak wouldn’t arrive.

Even after knowing this fact that the Untethered Jailbreak will come after iOS 6.1 and by the Dev-Team or the Evad3rs Team that was recently formed, we are seeing a fake iOS 6.0.x Untethered Jailbreak fooling the Jailbreak waiters under the name of BlackPois0n. Recently we came across this tool and downloaded the Tool to see if this really works or not, despite the fact that it is fake still the results were amazing.

black_pois0n_download

As you can see above, the image of the Tool resembles Jailbreaking Tool that we used and still are using to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone/iPod/iPad. Lets see if you can recall the name of that Tool or not.

The name of the tool is Absinthe that was/is used to Jailbreak Untethered iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Now coming back to this newly released Tool of BlackPois0n claiming to Untethered Jailbreak iOS 6.0.x on iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad 3, and all the devices on which the Untethered Jailbreak hasn’t released yet by the Dev-Team.
    What is the Myth behind BlackPois0n iOS 6.0.x Untethered Jailbreak Tool?

The myth behind this Blackpois0n Untethered Jailbreak Tool is that it is 100% fake. We are not saying this fake because it didn’t worked for us, we are saying it fake because we found some solid evidence regarding this Tool that lead us to the conclusion that it is fake. The fakeness of this tool is unique and any one with small knowledge of current situation can proof this tool as fake.
    Why/How is BlackPois0n Tool Fake?

The tool its self says that it is fake. Now open you eyes and see the things that we spotted on the website were shouting as FAKE ALERT!

black_pois0n_password_download_fake_tool

Therefore, lets start with the list of unique fakeness that was found on the image pasted on the website. Here we start:

The image placed on the top simply is counterfeit because the Tool used in the background is Absinthe and the person faking the Tool has stretched the Tool to adjust the image and writing.
    (Jailbreak Dream Team). we all know that the Dream Team was formed at the time of iOS 5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak by the well known iOS Hackers.
    The name of iPhone Dev Teams is written as iPhone Dev Taems.
    The name of Chpwn is written as Chqwn.
    The name of P0sixninja is written as POsixninja.
    The name of MuscleNerd is written as MuscleNard.

blackpois)n_password_tool

Moreover, after downloading the Tool from the website in .ZIP format for MAC OS X, amazingly there is a RAR File that is password protected and the file with password is also given along with the .zip. Those of you familiar with OS X must be aware of the fact that RAR doesn’t works on MAC because you need to download an extension for RAR to make it work.

After finding all the hilarious things in this Tool, we did declare this as fake. Even before finding these things, the tool was declared as fake because it wasn’t released officially by the iPhone Dev Team.

Cheers Simon, thought it was suspect glad i didn't do anything with download tool and glad i read and found the above,
    Rgds
    Last edited by ibiggy; 01-28-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibiggy View Post
    Ah, i see i have found a good soure of info now

BlackPois0n Fake Untethered Jailbreak Tool for iOS 6 Released Beware
    By i Daud on January 27, 2013 in Jailbreak
    I didn't have to read ANY article to know it was a fake. The devs only speak thru Twitter. And the days of 'a new unknown solo guy' releasing a jailbreak are gone. Only the teams have the 'combined mental power' to take on these newer iOS' from Apple. The moment you hear something you think is something 'no one's heard about yet' - that's your first clue it's a fake.

Apple's fakeout with Beta 5 was a beautiful move on their part. But it will fail in the end - we'll get our jailbreak. We just still have to wait. And I'm not one of the ones who believe its ready to drop the day after 6.1 releases. I don't believe they have the injection package ready to go yet. And can't build it until 6.1 releases. Last year when 5.1 dropped it took another 6 weeks for them to release the untether because the injection system wasn't built. It took all the way to 5.1.1 to get it done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Like once stated, he thinks you should donate to the cause, not the result. It falls hand in hand with why people donate to breast cancer organizations, even though there is a lack of cancer cure.

Don't worry anyways, pod2g says the team is not accepting donations at this point in time.
    That's a pretty good way to look at it...but of course cancer research needs continuous donations because of the cost of the research. With each test you have to buy new materials, pay new subjects, pay for more scientists, etc.

Am I right to assume that those working on the jailbreak already have all the materials (hardware & software) they need to find the jailbreak? I figured all they need is time and a little luck, neither of which will be helped by money.

The reply that actually made the most sense to me, and that was good at rebutting my stance, was that these people don't sell a product. They give it away for free. Of course, I knew that...I just wasn't thinking about it.

I'll gladly donate to the cause as soon as they open back up for donations (and I get paid, of course!). I just wanted an explanation for why we should donate to the cause instead of the product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    The reply that actually made the most sense to me, and that was good at rebutting my stance, was that these people don't sell a product. They give it away for free. Of course, I knew that...I just wasn't thinking about it.

I'll gladly donate to the cause as soon as they open back up for donations (and I get paid, of course!). I just wanted an explanation for why we should donate to the cause instead of the product.
    You're a class act, AZ!! Refreshing, in this sometimes combative environment, for a person to actually admit that their strong opinion was swayed to another point of view and is willing to admit it. Good for you, bro! I too would have had your opinion about donating were it not for the 'free product' angle. These great minds work on this jailbreak without charge and will charge us nothing when released. It's a 'privilege' to donate to these guys.

Be well!
    Grant

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

AUZambo (01-28-2013)

Thanks

That's a pretty good way to look at it...but of course cancer research needs continuous donations because of the cost of the research. With each test you have to buy new materials, pay new subjects, pay for more scientists, etc.

Am I right to assume that those working on the jailbreak already have all the materials (hardware & software) they need to find the jailbreak? I figured all they need is time and a little luck, neither of which will be helped by money.

Can definitely see where you are coming from on this. Anthony analogy was a bit extreme but it got the point across.

Even though jailbreakers may not have the overhead cancer research does, they still work very hard and ask nothing in return.

I actually think they don't charge for jailbreaks because as soon as people put out money for something they feel entitled and start demanding. I know from experience this alone can kill your motivation.

And although they do not have overhead, nothing is more satisfying than people donating just to recognize your hard work. Something like this really keeps you focused and feeling appreciated.

Anyway I liked this response from you.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

The hackers likely use a lot of the donation money to eat up the costs of buying test devices. Think of how many they fry in the process of finding exploits, testing jailbreaks, etc. In that bulk, think of how many might suffer from hardware defects.

MuscleNerd revealed today that there are over 22 different variants of devices that will be supported by the iOS 6.1 jailbreak. This means that the hackers need to get ahold of all 22 different variations, so they can properly create a jailbreak tool that works with all of these. Think of how expensive it would be to buy 22 different iOS devices every time a new jailbreak tool gets created.

Like Cancer research and development, development of jailbreaks isn't cheap. It's nowhere near the scale of Cancer research and development, but it's the principle, not the numbers, that matter.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Faresismail (01-28-2013), Hip5 (01-29-2013), NewdestinyX (01-28-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The hackers likely use a lot of the donation money to eat up the costs of buying test devices. Think of how many they fry in the process of finding exploits, testing jailbreaks, etc. In that bulk, think of how many might suffer from hardware defects.

MuscleNerd revealed today that there are over 22 different variants of devices that will be supported by the iOS 6.1 jailbreak. This means that the hackers need to get ahold of all 22 different variations, so they can properly create a jailbreak tool that works with all of these. Think of how expensive it would be to buy 22 different iOS devices every time a new jailbreak tool gets created.

Like Cancer research and development, development of jailbreaks isn't cheap. It's nowhere near the scale of Cancer research and development, but it's the principle, not the numbers, that matter.
    VERY well said, Anthony..

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (01-29-2013)

+ Reply
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789