+ Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Planetbeing: The Future is Looking Bright for Jailbreaking, Pod2g Urges iOS 6.1 Release

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is for everyone here arguing about whether the unlock is legal or not http://dlvr.it/2rKljc
    iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

This is for everyone here arguing about whether the unlock is legal or not
    http://dlvr.it/2rKljc

Thanks
    Thanked 8,412 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Well piracy and jail breaking are two different things.
    Not really. BOTH are against the law (now for jailbreaking an iPad post 2013).
    I believe piracy is banned because of ethical reason not so much law.
    Ethics and the law are inseparably intertwined my friend. Can't separate 'em.

I was just responding to you announcing that "jail breaking can never be made illegal".
    These are your words my friend not mine haha.
    Yeah - me and my darn 'hyperbole' getting me in trouble again. LOL!!!

Was just busting your balls though.
    I know you have this 'fascination' with busting mine.. ;-/ -- stop! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Oh yeah, the courts never make mistakes:

Remember when they cracked down on Napster? How many teenagers got arrested?
    About 5 cases made it to the courts - to 'set an example' - all settled out of court for peanuts. Napster started charging for service and the whole things chilled - and just as much music is being pirated today as ever. (Bad news for people with copyrights in the music biz like me - but jes' sayin' and showing how unenforceable it is).

There's no way they could take our rights away either (Patriot Act).
    They could never violate the 2nd amendment (Assault Weapons Ban of 2013).
    Innocent people never get put in jail (list too long).
    Ah you're waxing political now.. we DEFINITELY shouldn't go THERE..

If you don't think they could nail you on a copyright violation, especially to make a point

Man you are living in a fantasy land
    The 'copyright infringement' angle is where they made their mistake. That was the 'only' angle they could choose in creating this 'crazy law' - but it's also its weakness and why the cases will get thrown out. I have several 'copyrighted' works out there and I want my payment like the next guy. But the way they wrote the language of the law is that to 'jaibreak an ipad' you have to be 'rewriting the copyrighted code and RELEASING IT AS NEW' without the written permission of 'blah, blah, blah'. It's SO weak.

But time will tell. AND they WILL try to 'make some examples' early on. We'll see what happens.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Not really. BOTH are against the law (now for jailbreaking an iPad post 2013).

Ethics and the law are inseparably intertwined my friend. Can't separate 'em.
    Saying jail breaking iPads is as ethically wrong as pirating someone's work is a stretch.

I guess people that jaywalk and speed are as bad is pirates

And people that pirate are as bad as people that kill people.

They are all against the law right? Lol.

Simply put. This site supports jail breaking. It doesn't support piracy.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Gotta love a country where jaywalkers get hit by cars and sue and win. Pedestrians have the right of way 0.o

Thanks

Saying jail breaking iPads is as ethically wrong as pirating someone's work is a stretch.

I guess people that jaywalk and speed are as bad is pirates

And people that pirate are as bad as people that kill people.

They are all against the law right? Lol.

Simply put. This site supports jail breaking. It doesn't support piracy.
    You were the one making the case two posts ago that 'illegal is illegal'. You can' have it both ways, Suby. If it's ILLEGAL, than pursuing illegal activity is 'unethical'. The 'degree' of unethical behavior is open to opinion but it's entirely beside the point. There are punitive actions for all levels of illegal behaviors. I can't imagine the owners of this site making a distinction between one illegal activity over another. Read the rules again. The reason why piracy is NOT supported or discussed at this forum is because of it being 'illegal', my friend. Making a distinction between one illegal activity and another will be 'reaaaaaally' stretching it with forum management. But hey - let's see what they decide. This thread isn't closed yet. LOL!! That's a good sign.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,552 Times in 4,071 Posts

Post #11 by intell. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1476284

Jailbreaking an iPad it seems has never been legal same with iPod touch.
    Last edited by GUNNY29; 01-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Click My Sig For my auros Mods

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    WHY thank them now for nothing. My iPad3 is still not jailbroken so they dont get a thanks yet. They get a WHY ARE YOU TAKING SO LONG!!!? Its been what? 6 months since IOS6 came out and still nothing.
    This is why some of them have stopped jailbreaking. How freaking entitled can you be?

Thanks

You were the one making the case two posts ago that 'illegal is illegal'. You can' have it both ways, Suby. If it's ILLEGAL, than pursuing illegal activity is 'unethical'. The 'degree' of unethical behavior is open to opinion but it's entirely beside the point. There are punitive actions for all levels of illegal behaviors. I can't imagine the owners of this site making a distinction between one illegal activity over another. Read the rules again. The reason why piracy is NOT supported or discussed at this forum is because of it being 'illegal', my friend. Making a distinction between one illegal activity and another will be 'reaaaaaally' stretching it with forum management. But hey - let's see what they decide. This thread isn't closed yet. LOL!! That's a good sign.
    Again my opinion on why one is accepted over the other. Yes illegal is ilegal. However I wouldn't rob a store, but I would speed.

Maybe the word ethics was incorrect and more along the lines of morals.

Thanks

Again my opinion on why one is accepted over the other. Yes illegal is ilegal. However I wouldn't rob a store, but I would speed.

Maybe the word ethics was incorrect and more along the lines of morals.
    I understand you, Suby - and tend to agree with the general position you're saying. Though you'd lose the debate in an 'ethics' university course. LOL!! When you go against a law - you're setting yourself up as an authority over the law. That is, by definition, a violation of ethics - but you're right - there are some 'higher laws' than others. "Moral" law is different in the different spiritualities and religions of the world. But morals are derived from the 'higher laws' of those spiritual/religious belief systems. That's why you can make a distinction between speeding and robbing; the main difference between them being one hurts (or puts at risk) ONLY YOU and the other takes something from another person. One is 'less immoral' than the other by the 'higher law'.

It would still be pretty hard for the owners of the forum to make a distinction, even a 'moral' one between stealing the artwork/intellectual property of another person and releasing for free (as is the case with pirating) and stealing the code of another and releasing it for free and even sometimes for DONATIONS (as is the case with jailbreaking). Ethically and morally they're pretty much the same thing if you really look at it. The ONLY difference being one of 'scale' - one steals from a GIANT CORPORATION like Apple and the other steals from the 'little guy' (the tweak maker). The whole thing gets a little too gray for my likes.

In the end neither are enforceable laws (jailbreaking or pirating). Most forums have chosen to consider hacking okay and pirating not. I tend to agree with that stance. But the argument to make a distinction isn't easy on ethical OR moral grounds.

Thanks

I understand you, Suby - and tend to agree with the general position you're saying. Though you'd lose the debate in an 'ethics' university course. LOL!! When you go against a law - you're setting yourself up as an authority over the law. That is, by definition, a violation of ethics - but you're right - there are some 'higher laws' than others. "Moral" law is different in the different spiritualities and religions of the world. But morals are derived from the 'higher laws' of those spiritual/religious belief systems. That's why you can make a distinction between speeding and robbing; the main difference between them being one hurts (or puts at risk) ONLY YOU and the other takes something from another person. One is 'less immoral' than the other by the 'higher law'.

It would still be pretty hard for the owners of the forum to make a distinction, even a 'moral' one between stealing the artwork/intellectual property of another person and releasing for free (as is the case with pirating) and stealing the code of another and releasing it for free and even sometimes for DONATIONS (as is the case with jailbreaking). Ethically and morally they're pretty much the same thing if you really look at it. The ONLY difference being one of 'scale' - one steals from a GIANT CORPORATION like Apple and the other steals from the 'little guy' (the tweak maker). The whole thing gets a little too gray for my likes.

In the end neither are enforceable laws (jailbreaking or pirating). Most forums have chosen to consider hacking okay and pirating not. I tend to agree with that stance. But the argument to make a distinction isn't easy on ethical OR moral grounds.
    Additionally I did read up on ethics. And ethics can be applied in many different mediums. Mmi rule set defines the ethics in which members are suppose to adhere. They have defined piracy as a non acceptable topic and have not done such for jail breaking iPads. There for it is perfectly ethical for one to speak of iPad jailbreaks and speeding down the free way, however it i not ethical to do so about piracy. Lol.

Now why is that? Well it probably comes down to the one who makes the rules morals.

Atleast this is how I understood it

Anyway thanks for the discussion. Got me looking up things and learning. Haha
    Last edited by subywrex; 01-24-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks

Additionally I did read up on ethics. And ethics can be applied in many different mediums. Mmi rule set defines the ethics in which members are suppose to adhere. They have defined piracy as a non acceptable topic and have not done such for jail breaking iPads. There for it is perfectly ethical for one to speak of iPad jailbreaks and speeding down the free way, however it i not ethical to do so about piracy. Lol.

Now why is that? Well it probably comes down to the one who makes the rules morals.

Atleast this is how I understood it

Anyway thanks for the discussion. Got me looking up things and learning. Haha
    Agreed. Good chat! MMi leadership will need to take on this topic in more depth - since iPad jailbreaking is now illegal. Not being able to explain the difference between the two will be problematic for MMi leadership in the long run.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,552 Times in 4,071 Posts

Refer to my post above its always been illegal
    Click My Sig For my auros Mods

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
    Refer to my post above its always been illegal
    I read it as soon as you posted it -- Fair enough. And yet we've had, 'how many' ipad JBs so far? 4-5? Has there ever been one case brought to court? None.. This is all a lot of worry about squat. But the 'law is, indeed, the law'. Can't argue with you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

I don't see apple ever going after anyone for jailbreaking. What's the point? We are like free R&D for them lol.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,274 Times in 5,957 Posts

What was this thread about again?
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The way I did it was:
    1. I plugged in my iPhone 5
    2. Opened redsn0w and clicked "Extras"
    3. Clicked "SHSH blobs"
    4. Clicked "New"
    5. Selected my iOS 6.0.2 firmware
    6. redsn0w told me it saved blobs and asked me if I wanted to submit them
    7. I clicked yes
    8. Done

Afterwards, you will be able to verify that redsn0w submitted them to Cydia by clicking the Query button. (Optional)
    Love it THANKS ANTHONY

Thanks
    Thanked 7,166 Times in 2,272 Posts

What was this thread about again?
    How could you forget. This thread is about people getting together to speak with authority about topics that aren't their profession. I thought this was obvious King.

@NewDestiny I must say that ethics and the law are not inseparably intertwined. If you have taken a business ethics class you would know that ethics and the law are separable, though sometimes these two do align. For example, Googles mapping vehicle is doing nothing illegal but some have questioned the ethics of capturing the faces of individuals for the whole world to see. Is this ethical, who's to say but it is not illegal. So linking the two is a bit naive in my opinion. Apple and Foxconn would be another example. Just sayin.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (01-27-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    How could you forget. This thread is about people getting together to speak with authority about topics that aren't their profession. I thought this was obvious King.

@NewDestiny I must say that ethics and the law are not inseparably intertwined. If you have taken a business ethics class you would know that ethics and the law are separable, though sometimes these two do align. For example, Googles mapping vehicle is doing nothing illegal but some have questioned the ethics of capturing the faces of individuals for the whole world to see. Is this ethical, who's to say but it is not illegal. So linking the two is a bit naive in my opinion. Apple and Foxconn would be another example. Just sayin.
    Yeah. Fair enough, Krima. What's your opinion on whether ModMyI could make a convincing case why to disallow threads about piracy (an illegal activity) and allow discussions about jailbreaking iPads (another illegal activity). I would be interested in your take on it...

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,274 Times in 5,957 Posts

Heres my simple answer:

Piracy is theft. People do lose revenue.

Jailbreaking itself is a victimless crime.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (01-27-2013)

Thanks

Heres my simple answer:

Piracy is theft. People do lose revenue.

Jailbreaking itself is a victimless crime.
    Word

23. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (01-27-2013)