+ Reply
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Planetbeing: The Future is Looking Bright for Jailbreaking, Pod2g Urges iOS 6.1 Release

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,499 Times in 4,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Jailbreaking iPads is against the law in the US. Do some research.

Unlocks on any phone purchased 01/01/2013 is also illegal, unless done with the permission of the network carrier.

Just because it may be difficult to enforce, doesn't make it any less a crime.
    So you believe everything you read on the Internet, King? Have you actually read the law? I have. Trust me it's very very flimsy. (That's why I gave the previous poster the input I did.) It would never hold up in any court of law. No I'm not a lawyer just a humble tech guy. But I've run this law by a couple friends of mine who knows legal precedent and they assure me a case would never hold up.

But jailbreak and unlock at your own risk! It is prudent to share that on forums like this. I would agree with you there. I wonder if now that it's illegal if it's going to become off topic for discussion here at the forum… Interesting times ahead…
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,371 Times in 5,995 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    King O Hill-
    Just to name one is Siri for iPad 3 but its also I always like updating, lol

You also said unlocks on iPhones purchased in 2013 so can you unlock an iPhone 5 bought in 2012 legally?
    A phone purchased in 2013 can be legally unlocked ONLY by the carrier that it was purchased through.

A phone that was purchased prior to 2013 can be unlocked by anyone. Legally speaking that is.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moveandstore View Post
    I'm on 6.0.2. when it first came out, but I made the mistake of updating OTA. Do I have to restore my phone and update thru itunes. Or am I'm good when the JB arrives? I had to update to 6.0.2 because of wifi issues (which the updated corrected)
    So I have to update using redsnow instead of itunes?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

So I have to update using redsnow instead of itunes?
    You use iTunes to do a DFU restore.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So I have to update using redsn0w instead of itunes? (sorry about the double post)

Thanks

So I have to update using redsn0w instead of itunes? (sorry about the double post)
    You don't use redsn0w for any part of this process.

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK. Thanks. I forgot what key to hit to locate the ispw file I loaded on the desktop using itunes.

Thanks

OK. Thanks. I forgot what key to hit to locate the ispw file I loaded on the desktop using itunes.
    Shift for Windows, Option for Mac.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Spoken like a typical *******. "Sure guys heres your donation now that its all done!"

Do these guys a favor and donate to the cause, not the result.
    I saw this response yesterday and didn't have time to respond. Hopefully this doesn't get buried somewhere on page 7 or 8 never to be seen...so maybe you'll answer me.

I preface this by saying it's a legitimate question and not an attempt to troll.

Why should it be standard protocol to send donations when they have not yet perfected the exploit? I can't think of a single product in the market today where you pay the developers BEFORE they actually make the product. Why should jailbreaking be any different?

In the rest of the market, the only time I can think of where you give the developers money before the product is actually finalized is if you're an invester...and in those cases you usually give them money ahead of time in exchange for a share of the profits if the product does indeed come to fruition.

The way I see it, these guys working on the jailbreak are trying to sell a product. When that product - the jailbreak - is finalized and functional I will be more than happy send a donation to reward them for the hard work. Likewise, if they jailbreak is never released then they wouldn't get the donation. Just like I wouldn't give a business man a donation just for working hard. There are tons of people out there who have great ideas and work really hard to make it happen and build a business, but it sometimes just doesn't happen and the business shuts down.

Why do the guys working on the jailbreak go by a different set of rules than everyone else?

Again, this is a legitimate question and I'm more than willing to change my opinion if you make a good case. I hope this leads to a good discussion and not a pissing match.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I saw this response yesterday and didn't have time to respond. Hopefully this doesn't get buried somewhere on page 7 or 8 never to be seen...so maybe you'll answer me.

I preface this by saying it's a legitimate question and not an attempt to troll.

Why should it be standard protocol to send donations when they have not yet perfected the exploit? I can't think of a single product in the market today where you pay the developers BEFORE they actually make the product. Why should jailbreaking be any different?

In the rest of the market, the only time I can think of where you give the developers money before the product is actually finalized is if you're an invester...and in those cases you usually give them money ahead of time in exchange for a share of the profits if the product does indeed come to fruition.

The way I see it, these guys working on the jailbreak are trying to sell a product. When that product - the jailbreak - is finalized and functional I will be more than happy send a donation to reward them for the hard work. Likewise, if they jailbreak is never released then they wouldn't get the donation. Just like I wouldn't give a business man a donation just for working hard. There are tons of people out there who have great ideas and work really hard to make it happen and build a business, but it sometimes just doesn't happen and the business shuts down.

Why do the guys working on the jailbreak go by a different set of rules than everyone else?

Again, this is a legitimate question and I'm more than willing to change my opinion if you make a good case. I hope this leads to a good discussion and not a pissing match.
    Like once stated, he thinks you should donate to the cause, not the result. It falls hand in hand with why people donate to breast cancer organizations, even though there is a lack of cancer cure.

Don't worry anyways, pod2g says the team is not accepting donations at this point in time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-24-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Because they are not selling anything, they are giving it away. Also like Anthony stated, They aren't taking donations anyway.
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It falls hand in hand with why people donate to breast cancer organizations, even though there is a lack of cancer cure.
    +1.

Who cares. Donate or don't. Doesn't matter. There still giving it away for free.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    JB'ing can never be made against the law. It can only void the warranty for breach of user agreement. And it would have to be against the law in ALL countries. One countries law can't be made international. It's also an unenforceable law and nearly untraceable. I wouldn't worry. They've been 'beating their chest' about making JB illegal for years. But it will never be the case.
    Sorry to say but jail breaking can be made against the law. Because it is against the law to jailbreak your iPad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Sorry to say but jail breaking can be made against the law. Because it is against the law to jailbreak your iPad
    Read my response to King. No case would ever hold up in courts.

Thanks

So you believe everything you read on the Internet, King? Have you actually read the law? I have. Trust me it's very very flimsy. (That's why I gave the previous poster the input I did.) It would never hold up in any court of law. No I'm not a lawyer just a humble tech guy. But I've run this law by a couple friends of mine who knows legal precedent and they assure me a case would never hold up.

But jailbreak and unlock at your own risk! It is prudent to share that on forums like this. I would agree with you there. I wonder if now that it's illegal if it's going to become off topic for discussion here at the forum… Interesting times ahead…
    Flimsy or not. Easily deniable or not. It is a law, and there is no denying that. A flimsy law is still a law.

I do see your point, but there is by denying that a law is a law.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Flimsy or not. Easily deniable or not. It is a law, and there is no denying that. A flimsy law is still a law.

I do see your point, but there is by denying that a law is a law.
    No one here has been denying a law exists, Suby. It's just an unenforceable one which makes it like no law at all. I was speaking in hyperbole to the other poster. The jailbreaks will still come for iPad as its only against "American" law. We need to be careful using the term
    "Against THE law". It's not internationally against the law and never will be. The cases will get thrown out easily if ever tested in the courts.

The whole idea of making adjustments to your personal property being against the law is just ludicrous anyway.

Since its now against the law like piracy, the mods here should disallow any threads discussing iPad jailbreaking. Interesting.

Thanks

No one here has been denying a law exists, Suby. It's just an unenforceable one which makes it like no law at all. I was speaking in hyperbole to the other poster. The jailbreaks will still come for iPad as its only against "American" law. We need to be careful using the term
    "Against THE law". It's not internationally against the law and never will be. The cases will get thrown out easily if ever tested in the courts.

The whole idea of making adjustments to your personal property being against the law is just ludicrous anyway.

Since its now against the law like piracy, the mods here should disallow any threads discussing iPad jailbreaking. Interesting.
    Well piracy and jail breaking are two different things. I believe piracy is banned because of ethical reason not so much law.

I was just responding to you announcing that "jail breaking can never be made illegal".

These are your words my friend not mine haha.

Yes I realize the differences against international and national law. But just like saying national law does not make it international law, something that isn't international law but is national law doesn't make it any less illegal. It's just regional.

Was just busting your balls though.
    Last edited by subywrex; 01-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Will an iPhone 5 jailbreak mean I would be able to unlock a natively Sprint iPhone 5 and use it on Verizons network?

Thanks

Oh yeah, the courts never make mistakes:

Remember when they cracked down on Napster? How many teenagers got arrested?

There's no way they could take our rights away either (Patriot Act).
    They could never violate the 2nd amendment (Assault Weapons Ban of 2013).
    Innocent people never get put in jail (list too long).

If you don't think they could nail you on a copyright violation, especially to make a point

Man you are living in a fantasy land

Thanks
    Thanked 14,806 Times in 6,884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmrogy777 View Post
    Will an iPhone 5 jailbreak mean I would be able to unlock a natively Sprint iPhone 5 and use it on Verizons network?
    no