Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Planetbeing: The Future is Looking Bright for Jailbreaking, Pod2g Urges iOS 6.1 Release

Will an iPhone 5 jailbreak mean I would be able to unlock a Sprint iPhone 5 and use it on Verizons network?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I personally confirmed with Musclenerd via Twitter that iOS 6.0.2 is the firmware you should be on when the jailbreak is announced. That way if the iOS 6.1 jailbreak doesn't work out, we will still have the iOS 6.0.2 pillow to fall back on. If the iOS 6.1 jailbreak does work out, we can simply update to iOS 6.1 and get it.

iOS 6.0.2 is where the jailbreak sits right now in planetbeing's hands. So there's no reason to stay on an older firmware and not be able to update later down the road.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Makes total sense. I will update my iphone 5 and ipad mini as soon as I can. But I'll probably leave my ipad 2 and iphone 4 on 5.1.1 untethered for now.

On a similiar note, I have learned to be very cautious before I update due to a couple of my past experiences. I always save my blobs but for some reason everytime I try to downgrade or even do the tethered 6.0.1 jb for iphone 4 I get an itunes error and then I am stuck having to update to the latest firmware. Even after googling everything you could possibly google about itunes errors, still no help. Luckily this was on my brother's iphone 4 and not mine but I can't seem to get past the itunes errors. I think itunes is Apple's biggest flaw.

I am thinking/hoping that the ios 6 untethered jailbreak will be similar to Absinthe and won't require itunes to complete the process.

Also, many thanks to the jailbreak developers that are working on this. I for one, do not take any of their work for granted and am very happy that they are doing this for free and in their spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Spoken like a typical *******. "Sure guys heres your donation now that its all done!"

Do these guys a favor and donate to the cause, not the result.
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Now this is good news

So let's get this right. My iPad mini running on 6.0.1 I should update this to 6.0.2 ??

And my iPhone 4S that I have jailbroken and running 5.1.1 I should leave alone.

Please can you clarify before I update my Mini and should this be a over air update or through iTunes ???
    Update the iPad mini. Keep the 4s at 5.1.1. I updated not thinking and have hated my phone since.

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Question. Why is OTA bad? I can personally report worse battery life on a fresh 6.0.2 than I did with OTA from 6.0

Also has there ever been a jailbreak that didn't work for all past FW? Meaning if the jb works for 6.0.2 it will work for that FW and older?

And I'll say it again. I have NEVER seen a jailbreak released for a FW that isn't being signed by apple. Especially sense the iPhone 4S and newer can't even be restored to older FW even with saved blobs and whatnot.

My guess would be the jail break will be released when it works with 6.1. I could be wrong. And because I don't depend on a jail break and would rather be on a current FW i will be updating when 6.1 is released. And if I'm wrong. Oh well lol
    I have to concur with you on this one, based on the trends of earlier jailbreaks, it would seem (in my opinion) unlikely that the jailbreak would work with the current released firmware.

However, we must take into account how much more robust 6.1 "may" potentially be.

iOS 6 has presented some new variables into the equation, and is much more different to solve given a lot of unknowns.

And the definition of "work" can vary, as it can mean that it will operate correctly on iOS 6.1, but will remain unstable, or it could be fully functional and compatible with iOS 6.1

Either way, I personally do not believe updating to iOS 6.0.2 for iphone 5 users hurt at all, it may just require a little bit of work to reinstall and restore everything, but if the jailbreak is stable on 6.1 (based on user reviews that will most likely update to 6.1), then those that updated to 6.0.2 can update to 6.1

If it is not stable, they will be safe on iOS 6.0.2

so either way

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
    Am I safe to do this? I'm on 6.0 and want to get to 6.0.2 but wants me to dl this first????

In addition to what Anthony said about making sure to use itunes to update opposed to over-the-air, I would suggest that when you use itunes to always restore to the latest version instead of update to the latest version. It will make it easier to downgrade in the future if you have your blobs saved and ever needed to downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Question. Why is OTA bad? I can personally report worse battery life on a fresh 6.0.2 than I did with OTA from 6.0
    It is explained on the Dev Team Blog that OTA updates have the "wrong kind" of ramdisk that is missing the necessary vulnerability to bypass the APTicket system. This is why we recommend not using it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (01-23-2013)

wait should i upgrade to 6.0.2 from 6.0.1? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    wait should i upgrade to 6.0.2 from 6.0.1? Thanks
    I see no harm in doing so.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (01-23-2013)

I see no harm in doing so.
    Thanks, I just don't want the JB to be on 6.0.2 and by the time I try to upgrade I can only go to 6.1.

Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    Thanks, I just don't want the JB to be on 6.0.2 and by the time I try to upgrade I can only go to 6.1.
    Right, that's why I am recommending iOS 6.0.2. I'm on iOS 6.0.2 on my own iPhone 5 as well.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (01-23-2013), jps1012 (01-23-2013)

Right, that's why I am recommending iOS 6.0.2. I'm on iOS 6.0.2 on my own iPhone 5 as well.
    thanks..ill upgrade now.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    you cant save SHSH using sn0wbreeze, you need to use either tinyumbrella or redsn0w

download tinyumbrella (it's easier for iphone 4), connect your iphone to the computer, and click "SAVE SHSH"
    Thanks this was really easy

It is explained on the Dev Team Blog that OTA updates have the "wrong kind" of ramdisk that is missing the necessary vulnerability to bypass the APTicket system. This is why we recommend not using it.

Ok but it might not be the same from 6.x to 6.x right?

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Ok but it might not be the same from 6.x to 6.x right?
    It's not the same. But just in case, we like to do it.

We never know what they have up their sleeves for the future.

It's all about preparation.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (01-23-2013)

I'm trying to save 6.0.2 blobs but redsnow saying I haven't got an iPhone 5,1 but a 5,2?? Any ideas
    Click My Sig For my auros Mods

It's not the same. But just in case, we like to do it.

We never know what they have up their sleeves for the future.

It's all about preparation.
    Yea i guess you're right thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
    I'm trying to save 6.0.2 blobs but redsnow saying I haven't got an iPhone 5,1 but a 5,2?? Any ideas
    Point redsnow to a iPhone 5,2 firmware. Mine is 5,2 as well.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

GUNNY29 (01-23-2013), Hip5 (01-23-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassvictim's Avatar
    Thanks

What am I missing with this update to 6.0.2? I'm on 6.0.1, and both iTunes, and the phone say that I'm up to date with firmware, there's no 6.0.2 option for me. Verizon 4S.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassvictim View Post
    What am I missing with this update to 6.0.2? I'm on 6.0.1, and both iTunes, and the phone say that I'm up to date with firmware, there's no 6.0.2 option for me. Verizon 4S.
    You're fine. iOS 6.0.2 is for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini only.

iOS 6.0.2

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (01-23-2013)

thanks to our great people out there.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast