+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More Than 22M Devices Ran Cydia in Last Two Months, iPhone 4 Most Popular

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default More Than 22M Devices Ran Cydia in Last Two Months, iPhone 4 Most Popular

Cydia is the digital-content store that gets installed on your device when you jailbreak it with a tool such as redsn0w, Absinthe, or sn0wbreeze. Cydia is the place that jailbreakers can search for and download third-party applications that Apple would never have allowed in their App Store, such as applications, jailbreak tweaks, themes, and much more.

Lately it has been figured that the jailbreak is "dying out" because of the lack of an untethered jailbreak solution for iOS 6. The iPhone 5, Apple’s latest iPhone, remains unjailbroken to this day, and Apple are expected to announce iOS 7 this summer. Regardless, iOS hackers pod2g and planetbeing remain diligent in their work, having made important progress along the way.

According to a recent report from Techcrunch, Saurik (Jay Freeman) reveals that based on data he has obtained over the past couple of months, Cydia has been used on 22,780,029 iOS devices, spanning from iPhones to iPod touches to iPads, and running all kinds of different iOS versions. He also notes that in between jailbreak releases, the number of jailbreaks declines until the next jailbreak release, which by then the number of initial jailbreakers always comes out higher than the previous number:

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Freeman
    Every time we release jailbreak, we get a massive spike of renewed interest, during which time people furiously are upgrading, jailbreaking, browsing packages, and purchasing products. They are seriously active users; that spike is so large that the rate it falls over time swamps the rate of organic user accumulation, so the overall usage of jailbreaking is always going down.
    Additionally, Saurik shows us how jailbreaking compares in popularity among different iOS devices. The iPhone 4 is the most popularly jailbroken device, capturing 34.9% of the jailbreak community, followed by other iPhone models:

It’s not much of a surprise that the iPhone 4 is the most popular iPhone to be jailbroken, considering that the iPhone 4 is so easy to keep jailbroken because of the limera1n bootrom exploit. The iPhone 4S takes second place, at 20.4%. The iPhone 3GS takes third place, composing of 11.9% of the jailbreak community. It's interesting that the iPod touch 4G isn't as popular to jailbreak as the iPhone 4, however many people would jailbreak their iPhones merely for the ability to free themselves from carrier tethering rules and to use FaceTime over their cellular network, features that the iPod touch 4G lacks, so in a way it makes sense.

Sources: Techcrunch via iClarified
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-21-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Revised title

Thanks

4S is no where near as much as I thought it would be...

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

I mentioned some time ago, that Saurik would have a list of users running Cydia.
    For the ill-informed, Jailbreaking is NOT DEAD!
    This is a substantial number.
    Watch what happens when IOS 6 is jailbroken for the Iphone 5!

P.S. The reason for the difference between the 4 and 4S is due to the fact
    that the Iphone 4 was a major upgrade over the 3Gs and it has been out
    longer that the 4S.
    Last edited by thevmax; 01-21-2013 at 04:36 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thevmax For This Useful Post:

Mrteacup (01-21-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

Hey Anthony,
    You need to put the TechCrunch article on MMI so a lot of the new (and old) jailbreakers understand what the scene is about and what 'types' of jailbreaks are out there.

This would stop a lot of the misinformation they are getting AND giving!

My two cents...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Hey Anthony,
    You need to put the TechCrunch article on MMI so a lot of the new (and old) jailbreakers understand what the scene is about and what 'types' of jailbreaks are out there.

This would stop a lot of the misinformation they are getting AND giving!

My two cents...
    I agree on this 100% of the way, Anthony I agree I think you should as well!
    - Things I have Jailbroken -
    iphone 3g 8gb
    iphone 4 32gb
    Ipad 1st gen 16gb

- Add me on twitter -
    - Mr_wilson1991 -

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    I mentioned some time ago, that Saurik would have a list of users running Cydia.

longer that the 4S.
    And the a5 isn't jailbroken either

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post

longer that the 4S.
    Or the fact that a bootrom-level exploit was released for the A4 chip.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd love to know how many devices were using cydia a year ago... Be good to see the comparison

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Love my jailbreak, love my iphone, love modmyi, love the jailbreak community. r u feeling the love?

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Miss my jailbreak and bitesms and sbsetttjngs and other tweak holding out for the day my iPhone 5 would be jailbroken

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I still have my 4 jailbroken on my drawer beside the bed. I use it occasionally as a backup iMessage device (BiteSMS installed) and, once I get my nano-to-microSIM adaptor, my backup test phone (T-Mobile).

I don't think many 4S models were jailbroken due to the iOS updates throwing everything out, the difficulty in restoring (when unsigned) or downgrading, lack of actual specs bumps vs 4, and the fact that most of 4S's 'exclusive' features could be backported to a jailbroken 4 and kept people satisfied for a while.

What I want to know is how many 4/3GS/Touch devices are jailbroken on iOS6 as of now. That number would be interesting to see if people are making the effort to run tethered jailbreak all the time.

Once iOS 6 gets untethered jailbroken on newer devices that'll likely change for the better. There's still way too many tweaks that haven't been updated that would work great on an A6 device if properly updated.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

Still on iOS 5 instead of iOS 6 because of lack of a jailbreak. I figured iOS 6 didn't have enough new features that interested me.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

I have two devices: my jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 iPhone 4, and my iPhone 5, which is obviously not jailbroken.

If my iPhone 5 were to be jailbroken, I'd have a very minimal amount of items installed on it. I personally prefer function over style, so I don't theme or anything like that.

My iPhone 4, on the other hand, I use for testing. I also had a jailbroken iOS 6.0.1 iPod touch 4G laying around that I sold recently.

So you can could me as two devices in that 22M devices running Cydia in the last two months .
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-21-2013 at 08:05 PM.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

My 4s and 4 still use both of them very regular and may be putting the 4s back out and the 5 up till the jailbreak comes out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

i thought ipod touch 4 gen would be next cause i see most people have ipod touch 4 gen and it's jailbroken.. :/

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow i still cant believe that people still own a functioning iphone 2G and 3G!!

Thanks

Is the author of this article completely oblivious that the reason the 4th-generation iPod touch is so much lower than iPhone 4 and 4S is because far fewer people buy iPods?

Banned
    Thanks

So 22 million jailbroken devices. When the next jailbreak comes out lets try to make it 50 million.
    I know when the next jailbreak comes out thats the IOS my iPad is staying on FOREVER. It sucks bigtime not being jailbroken.
    Well it'll stay on that IOS till the next jailbreak after that but as this one is still taking so long I doubt there will be another. Thats if this IOS is jailbroken in the first place.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,962 Times in 2,015 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    My 4s and 4 still use both of them very regular and may be putting the 4s back out and the 5 up till the jailbreak comes out.
    Gd idea, my i5 is all boxed up on 6.0.2 for the time being...just using my 4S for theme creating...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks

I was running tethered for some time but the lack of updates for my favorite themes made it pointless for the effort involved. I seriously doubt I will jailbreak again till the **** ton of paid Cydia apps I have get updated.
    Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!