+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More Than 22M Devices Ran Cydia in Last Two Months, iPhone 4 Most Popular

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Jato_BZ Gd idea, my i5 is all boxed up on 6.0.2 for the time being...just using my 4S for theme creating... 'Theme creating?' What do you mean?
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Gd idea, my i5 is all boxed up on 6.0.2 for the time being...just using my 4S for theme creating...
    'Theme creating?'

What do you mean? Are u installing themes or testing themes you make?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

JailBreaking seems "dead" but really isn't. That is huge compared to how many people still can JailBreak right now. I mean that is most of the people who still can JailBreak so that's a whole lot. And it'll have a huge spike with the untethered 6.1 JailBreak coming soon and again with the BootRom coming within the year as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    JailBreaking seems "dead" but really isn't. That is huge compared to how many people still can JailBreak right now. I mean that is most of the people who still can JailBreak so that's a whole lot. And it'll have a huge spike with the untethered 6.1 JailBreak coming soon and again with the BootRom coming within the year as well.
    'Bootrom coming within the year'?!?!

Where did u get that from? I haven't seen anything that mentions a bootrom exploit. Not sure if you're understanding correctly...

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, there's definitely no news of a bootrom exploit coming out at this point in time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    And the a5 isn't jailbroken either
    Goes without saying! It isn't in the Cydia breakdown so ...
    unless you live under a rock, everyone should know that the iphone 5,
    and all a6 chip devices are not jailbroken.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I have two devices: my jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 iPhone 4, and my iPhone 5, which is obviously not jailbroken.

If my iPhone 5 were to be jailbroken, I'd have a very minimal amount of items installed on it. I personally prefer function over style, so I don't theme or anything like that.

My iPhone 4, on the other hand, I use for testing. I also had a jailbroken iOS 6.0.1 iPod touch 4G laying around that I sold recently.

So you can could me as two devices in that 22M devices running Cydia in the last two months .
    I agree. Even though I make themes, I haven't ran one in over a year! Lol.

One of the best things about stock iOS is how smooth it is. I am looking forward to a jailbreak but am going to force myself to keep it to a minimum

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I have two devices: my jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 iPhone 4, and my iPhone 5, which is obviously not jailbroken.

If my iPhone 5 were to be jailbroken, I'd have a very minimal amount of items installed on it. I personally prefer function over style, so I don't theme or anything like that.

My iPhone 4, on the other hand, I use for testing. I also had a jailbroken iOS 6.0.1 iPod touch 4G laying around that I sold recently.

So you can could me as two devices in that 22M devices running Cydia in the last two months .
    Hi Anthony. I too run an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 but I theme it like a mofo, running Jaku, along with a number of UI changes. I also run a couple of other notorious RAM hogs like Springtomize2 & SBSettings.
    I'm curious to know how much RAM you have free after a reboot &/or respring on your device. My phone runs fine most of the time, but admittedly I use KillBackground along with a RAM-freeing tweak ALL THE TIME.
    I'd like to know just how much memory all this junk uses and I'm too lazy to uninstall it all for a test

I've got 270MB free after a respring and that jumps to ~300 when I run my FreeMemory tweak. For comparison.
    Last edited by radioBirdman; 01-22-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
    Hi Anthony. I too run an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 but I theme it like a mofo, running Jaku, along with a number of UI changes. I also run a couple of other notorious RAM hogs like Springtomize2 & SBSettings.
    I'm curious to know how much RAM you have free after a reboot &/or respring on your device. My phone runs fine most of the time, but admittedly I use KillBackground along with a RAM-freeing tweak ALL THE TIME.
    I'd like to know just how much memory all this junk uses and I'm too lazy to uninstall it all for a test

I've got 270MB free after a respring and that jumps to ~300 when I run my FreeMemory tweak. For comparison.
    Do yourself a favor. Quit refreshing your ram. Ram is there for a purpose. The purpose is to store common used information so your phone doesn't have to restart the entire processes.

iOS is built to recycle your memory so when you need more than what's available it will shut down the older apps.

Keeping things stored in memory can help gain battery life. Because your device does not have to do as much as it does when it actually has to load things from scratch.

Think of it this way. Your brain stores information in your memory. Think about how difficult life would be if you kept wiping your memory. Lol.

As long as there are minimal active processes stored memory is really doing other other than temporarily storing information

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Do yourself a favor. Quit refreshing your ram. Ram is there for a purpose. The purpose is to store common used information so your phone doesn't have to restart the entire processes.

iOS is built to recycle your memory so when you need more than what's available it will shut down the older apps.

Keeping things stored in memory can help gain battery life. Because your device does not have to do as much as it does when it actually has to load things from scratch.

Think of it this way. Your brain stores information in your memory. Think about how difficult life would be if you kept wiping your memory. Lol.

As long as there are minimal active processes stored memory is really doing other other than temporarily storing information
    +1
    And constantly clearing Memory (I've noticed) actually slows down the entire device. If you free RAM too much, it'll actually crash your phone!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

subywrex (01-22-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,319 Times in 5,974 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post

Exactly! I couldn't have said it better.

This is one of the biggest features of iPhones that set them apart from the "others". Why on earth would you want to inhibit its functioning? Just so you can see a larger number? I guess some people don't realize how these phones really work. They just apply some kind of old school knowledge to it.

Well said Suby
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

subywrex (01-22-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Exactly! I couldn't have said it better.

This is one of the biggest features of iPhones that set them apart from the "others". Why on earth would you want to inhibit its functioning? Just so you can see a larger number? I guess some people don't realize how these phones really work. They just apply some kind of old school knowledge to it.

Well said Suby
    Right. I don't get this thought process. Lol.

As a base of comparison so everyone can see. Below is a screen shot of my available memory on my iPhone 5.

The way memory works on an iPhone is when you open a program and close it out it saves the apps "state" in your memory. This is literally just stored information so your device can "remember" where you left off.

These are not active processes. Now there are apps that are poorly coded and can keep draining you in the background, but again it has nothing to do with the memory being used and everything to do with that its an active process using processing power.

As you can see from my screen shot I only have 34mb free on my iPhone 5. It's obviously not jailbroken and I get around 9 hours of usage out of the battery and it runs just as fast as it does on a fresh boot.

Just like king said. This is why iOS back grounding process is awesome. Because you really don't need full processes running in the background on an phone. Some would fully disagree with me but this is my opinion and its not going to change. Your all welcome to have your own

Also apple is really smart when it comes to music. Rather than keep the full app running in the background. When you exit out it only keeps what it needs to play music going. This helps minimize battery drain and also helps not waste processing power so it can be used else where.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-22-2013), Tucnepo (01-23-2013)

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey guys, will there be a tethered ios 6.1 as soon as the fw comes out ( for iphone 4 ) or will we have to wait for limera1n to update there botroom exploit?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll keep it in mind and slow down on the freeing the RAM. It's become a habit because I was of the understanding the battery drained quicker if too much was stored in the memory.
    I'll leave it be and see how it goes

17. The Following User Says Thank You to radioBirdman For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-22-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll keep it in mind and slow down on the freeing the RAM. It's become a habit because I was of the understanding the battery drained quicker if too much was stored in the memory.
    I'll leave it be and see how it goes
    No problem. I actually stopped viewing my available memory at one point. Because when I see it I want it to be a big number. Lol.

Anyway. Im sure others will disagree with me on the ram thing but oh we'll lol

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Hey guys, will there be a tethered ios 6.1 as soon as the fw comes out ( for iphone 4 ) or will we have to wait for limera1n to update there botroom exploit?
    iPhone 4 is "jailbroken for life". The method they found to jailbreak is hardware related. Apple can't patch the hole. So yes. The iPhone 4 will always be jail breakable. Only thing that may cause a little wait is if they have to update redsnow or whatever jailbreak tool used to tether the jailbreak

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rcooley617's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow that's such a interesting fact seeing that people w/ newer devices DON'T HAVE A JAILBREAK!!!
    "R-R"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rcooley617 View Post
    Wow that's such a interesting fact seeing that people w/ newer devices DON'T HAVE A JAILBREAK!!!
    Perhaps you should develop one?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rcooley617 View Post
    I don't see where you're going with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Yes. iPhone 4 will have a jailbreak as long as hackers keep the jailbreak tools updated for the latest firmwares. Because of the bootrom exploit, there is no way for Apple to patch it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    I mentioned some time ago, that Saurik would have a list of users running Cydia.
    For the ill-informed, Jailbreaking is NOT DEAD!
    This is a substantial number.
    Watch what happens when IOS 6 is jailbroken for the Iphone 5!

P.S. The reason for the difference between the 4 and 4S is due to the fact
    that the Iphone 4 was a major upgrade over the 3Gs and it has been out
    longer that the 4S.
    I think that this article and your comment is misunderstood. People are not saying JAILBREAKING is unwanted they are saying that the ability to Jailbreak is dead. Obviously the people with the older devices are going to keep visiting Cydia and remain with their jailbreak. Who the hell wouldn't?
    I do believe that the ability to jailbreak is quickly coming to an end. As newer more secure iOS's and devices are released the older devices will fall off apples supported list and then all they'll have are what I like to call Commi phones (apple tells you how, what, where, and when you can use it).

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12