+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 86

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Rumored to Release Three iPhone Variants Including Unlikely "iPhone Math"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I'm going to learn from my mistakes... Not buying a new phone unless its jail broken, I love my 5, but after using a jail broken 4S for so long
...
  1. #41
    Green Apple smonme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    I'm going to learn from my mistakes... Not buying a new phone unless its jail broken, I love my 5, but after using a jail broken 4S for so long I can't help but want more out of it....

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Compared to Android, iOS is about as fragmented as a sandwich cut in half.
    And do you have an iPhone 5? No? Then how would you know what apps have been iPhone 5 optimized? I do have one and most, if not all, of the apps I use have now been updated to accomodate the extra screen space.
    That's interesting because most of my apps haven't, mostly my games, are you only using apps sponsored by apple? For example my grand theft auto 3? Still nothing

  2. #42
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,521
    Thanks
    3,094
    Thanked 7,590 Times in 3,871 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by smonme View Post
    I'm going to learn from my mistakes... Not buying a new phone unless its jail broken, I love my 5, but after using a jail broken 4S for so long I can't help but want more out of it....
    Then you will be waiting a long time for a new phone. It's taking months to get new jail breaks these data. The iPhone 5 was out in early October and we still don't have a jailbreak in late January and nothing on the horizon. I personally believe we won't get one for iOS 6 on A6 chips at all. We'll all be waiting for the 5S this summer.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  3. #43
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    45,603
    Thanks
    6,254
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by smonme View Post

    That's interesting because most of my apps haven't, mostly my games, are you only using apps sponsored by apple? For example my grand theft auto 3? Still nothing
    My fav Apps optimized: Facebook, tweetbot, MMi app, TiVo app, TV tracker, imdb, iteleport, deliveries app, NBA game time, espn sports center, espn fantasy basketball, angry birds (all 5 versions), bloons td5, FIFA 13, final fantasy atb, eBay, plex, dataman, flight board, final fantasy 4, real racing 2, GTA vice city, Skype, whatsapp, Facebook messenger, chrome, skyfire, tune in radio, shazam, rowmote pro.

    My fav apps not optimized: speedtest, iNet, hurricane, GTA 3.

    I could keep going but I'm sure you are seeing a pattern here.

    None of those are apple apps btw.

  4. #44
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,620
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,839 Times in 876 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My fav Apps optimized: Facebook, tweetbot, MMi app, TiVo app, TV tracker, imdb, iteleport, deliveries app, NBA game time, espn sports center, espn fantasy basketball, angry birds (all 5 versions), bloons td5, FIFA 13, final fantasy atb, eBay, plex, dataman, flight board, final fantasy 4, real racing 2, GTA vice city, Skype, whatsapp, Facebook messenger, chrome, skyfire, tune in radio, shazam, rowmote pro.

    My fav apps not optimized: speedtest, iNet, hurricane, GTA 3.

    I could keep going but I'm sure you are seeing a pattern here.

    None of those are apple apps btw.
    Also all in which still work on the iPhone 5, the few he listed just have not been optimized.

    So yes I would say that is some what fragmentation, but the fact they work on the iPhone 5 as good as any of the past Idevices, calling it a straight up fragmentation is a bit of a stretch.

    But again just my opinion.

  5. #45
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    45,603
    Thanks
    6,254
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Also all in which still work on the iPhone 5, the few he listed just have not been optimized.

    So yes I would say that is some what fragmentation, but the fact they work on the iPhone 5 as good as any of the past Idevices, calling it a straight up fragmentation is a bit of a stretch.

    But again just my opinion.
    Yup, all work just fine.
    Only fragmentation I see is when Apple stops releasing firmware for older hardware like iPhone 2G, 3G etc.

  6. #46
    iPhoneaholic Magnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    412
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts

    Lol so dumb. None a this is happening. How would this be profitable for apple? Lol come on now. Everyone owns an iPhone 5 already or just got 4s for Christmas. Nobody is eligible for an upgrade. Sales would be terrible. And anyone who wanted a bigger screen, owns a galaxy or a note now, on a new contract. So nobody is buying a bigger iphone. Sales would be horrible. Anyone who wanted a cheaper version iphone, owns a free iphone 4 or 99 dollar iPhone 4S...plus apple already said they have no interest in making a cheaper watered down phone. When was the last time ANY rumor on a new phone outside of apples yearly release was true? Lol never. Haha stop it. iPhone mini has been rumored and fake for like 4 years. Remember the red iphone for cancer or whatever? Didn't happen. Last year they said they was releasing two iphone versions, we got one. Lol. Come on yo. Apple will release one iphone a year like they always do. Stop wit all the foolery.

  7. #47
    iPhoneaholic Norb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mountain View, California
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    FYI iOS ALREADY has fragmentation. I suggest you understand the definition of fragmentation.

    Not all iDevices can run the same version of iOS = fragmentation
    Not all apps work on all iDevices = fragmentation
    Not all iPhones of the same model work the same way on all carriers = fragmentation

    In addition, most apps for the iPhone 5 are NOT optimized for the longer screen--they have a black bar at the top and bottom. some devs will fix this, most will not. if apple made a 4.8" device it would have the same issues as the iPhone 5 which is not a big deal.
    Come on now dude...

    Yes, iOS has fragmentation but it's in now way anywhere near what android is and there isn't much way it ever will be there... We don't have as many barriers to preventing the latest software getting to the phones once it's released. It sucks but it's true...

    "Not all iDevices can run the same version of iOS = fragmentation"
    Yes... but if a a 3GS can run the latest OS, that is more than enough, it's an old phone and there has been 3 phone iterations after it already...

    "Not all iPhones of the same model work the same way on all carriers = fragmentation"
    Android is better in this how?

    "most apps for the iPhone 5 are NOT optimized for the longer screen"
    What are these "most apps"? Things that people rarely use? Most of the things that are still relevant or not tottaly replaced by something way better are actually very well maintained and up to date. I have to say though, Apple moving to the different aspect ratio really surprised me.

    At the end of the day, I say just use what you like. Android, iOS, WiMo... whatever, don't know why people care about other's decisions. This is not a religion and even if it was, no one like that waved in their face either.

  8. #48
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts



    Apple came up with the idea of larger phones first. The Galaxy Note just copied the iPhone Math. WTF is wrong with you stupid phandroids? Android and Samsuck need to stop copying Apple and think of their own ideas. The Note is such a rip-off of the iPhone Math.

    I wish Apple had a monopoly.


  9. #49
    iPhoneaholic Norb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mountain View, California
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post


    Apple came up with the idea of larger phones first. The Galaxy Note just copied the iPhone Math. WTF is wrong with you stupid phandroids? Android and Samsuck need to stop copying Apple and think of their own ideas. The Note is such a rip-off of the iPhone Math.

    I wish Apple had a monopoly.



    I know right? True innovation is making a device a different sizes. Apple thinks that making a phone that looks totally different than anything that is on the market is innovation... what idiots. Try making what someone made in a different size... yeah....


  10. #50
    A2A
    A2A is offline
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This isn't completely a bad thing. A step up in size would be good, but they really need to focus on the OS. Some major improvements would make me stick around a little bit longer. Wanna hear what a lot of us faithful iPhone users really feel? Come check out AAPL2apples.com.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Come on now dude...

    Yes, iOS has fragmentation but it's in now way anywhere near what android is and there isn't much way it ever will be there... We don't have as many barriers to preventing the latest software getting to the phones once it's released. It sucks but it's true...

    "Not all iDevices can run the same version of iOS = fragmentation"
    Yes... but if a a 3GS can run the latest OS, that is more than enough, it's an old phone and there has been 3 phone iterations after it already...

    "Not all iPhones of the same model work the same way on all carriers = fragmentation"
    Android is better in this how?

    "most apps for the iPhone 5 are NOT optimized for the longer screen"
    What are these "most apps"? Things that people rarely use? Most of the things that are still relevant or not tottaly replaced by something way better are actually very well maintained and up to date. I have to say though, Apple moving to the different aspect ratio really surprised me.

    At the end of the day, I say just use what you like. Android, iOS, WiMo... whatever, don't know why people care about other's decisions. This is not a religion and even if it was, no one like that waved in their face either.
    Exactly. Androids fragmented user base is much more severe. Apples adoption rate on each update is much better. That not withstanding, apple definitely needs to refresh iOS and it would greatly improve the experience and adoption rate. Come listen some time. Aapl2apples.com
    Last edited by A2A; 01-22-2013 at 09:37 PM.

  11. #51
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,521
    Thanks
    3,094
    Thanked 7,590 Times in 3,871 Posts

    Apple hasn't become the most profitable company "in the world" (surpassing Microsoft by a mile!) without knowing how and when to "refresh" its brand. There's a lot of competition out there making some damn fine phones so, for sure, their job is harder now. But how quickly we lose faith. The next cool thing is right around the corner gang - but it won't be soon. There are only so many innovations out there possible. It's not like there's another "smartphone" or "tablet" to invent. What they can so is improve. But changing their philosophy and archetype of product lines would be the death of Apple.

    In my view they will eventually need to go a little wider on the phone (but no taller) to return the phone's aspect ratio to be more compatible with a lot if the video market. So many videos are not true 16:9 wide screen yet. So they look wrong on my iP5. Of course true widescreen 16:9 stuff looks great on the 'taller only' iP5 screen. But they should have made it both wider and taller.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  12. #52
    iPhoneaholic Donnutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    450
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Junnito View Post
    Can't wait for the 4.8 inch screen!!!
    About time tho....!
    Hopefully it will never happen. I for one was not in favor of a 4 inch screen, but now that I have one, older iPhones look short and fat!

    Another thing, why do people want a cheaper, dumbed down iPhone? Are you guys going to abandon your full-featured ones for a limited one to save $30 a month? I don't get it... If you don't want to pay as much up front, then just get an iPhone 4 for free or a 4S for $100!
    The only advantage I could see for a cheaper one, would be one that doesn't do cellular data so you wouldn't have to pay $30-50 extra a month. But I would never buy it, I'm spoiled by my iPhone 5 with AT&Ts tethering plan... It's expensive, but worth it if you use it a lot.

  13. #53
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,620
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,839 Times in 876 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Apple hasn't become the most profitable company "in the world" (surpassing Microsoft by a mile!) without knowing how and when to "refresh" its brand. There's a lot of competition out there making some damn fine phones so, for sure, their job is harder now. But how quickly we lose faith. The next cool thing is right around the corner gang - but it won't be soon. There are only so many innovations out there possible. It's not like there's another "smartphone" or "tablet" to invent. What they can so is improve. But changing their philosophy and archetype of product lines would be the death of Apple.

    In my view they will eventually need to go a little wider on the phone (but no taller) to return the phone's aspect ratio to be more compatible with a lot if the video market. So many videos are not true 16:9 wide screen yet. So they look wrong on my iP5. Of course true widescreen 16:9 stuff looks great on the 'taller only' iP5 screen. But they should have made it both wider and taller.
    Ill disagree again with you lol. But we have already discussed so no need to. I believe widescreen is what the standard is moving toward. Staying ahead of the curve is key.

    I wouldn't be surprised in the least if other companies follow suite. However ill still be happy with a wider screen because title blocks are not any type of annoyance to me. Besides most videos that are not in 1080/720 p and have title blocks are normally crappy quality and title blocks are the least of my worries on those lol

  14. #54
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,521
    Thanks
    3,094
    Thanked 7,590 Times in 3,871 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Ill disagree again with you lol. But we have already discussed so no need to. I believe widescreen is what the standard is moving toward. Staying ahead of the curve is key.

    I wouldn't be surprised in the least if other companies follow suite. However ill still be happy with a wider screen because title blocks are not any type of annoyance to me. Besides most videos that are not in 1080/720 p and have title blocks are normally crappy quality and title blocks are the least of my worries on those lol
    At least half of YouTube is not widescreen. That's why phones still need to be wider and not just taller. Only about half the videos I see on YouTube (of TV shows or documentaries) are in widescreen. The format isn't moving fast enough to widescreen. You are right that all these new phones are able to take videos in 1080/720 but that's not what i watch. I couldn't be the least bit interested in what some kid puts on YouTube with his phone!! LOL!! Even most music videos uploaded to sites like YouTube aren't widescreen yet. And YouTube has equally crappy quality on Widescreen and non-widescreen. So quality isn't the issue at all.

    What looks AMAZING on the new iP5's widescreen ratio are movies cut in widescreen on Netflix and HuluPlus, etc. These are amazing. But that's not what most people are watching on their iPhones since those are 'paid services'. What most people watch is YouTube which is only about half widescreen at this point. That's not enough to make phone manufacturers go with widescreen aspect ratio. I wish THEY DID!!! On that point we both agree!!!! LOL! What you've refused to acknowledge is how much video (quality being equal) is still out there on non-widescreen. I agree - the industry IS moving that direction. But we won't get there fast enough for the 'taller skinny' phone (widescreen in landscape) mode to catch on as the norm any time soon.

    But we've already debated this and agreed to disagree. We don't have to do it again. You've now reminded people of your position, I've reminded people of mine. Nuff said.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-23-2013 at 01:31 PM.

  15. #55
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    45,603
    Thanks
    6,254
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    At least half of YouTube is not widescreen.
    Can I get a reference for this statement please?

  16. #56
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,521
    Thanks
    3,094
    Thanked 7,590 Times in 3,871 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Can I get a reference for this statement please?
    Go to YouTube.com -Search any topic almost. And go through the first 30 videos. See how many are in widescreen. Comes up about 50% for me.. Or should I say - 50% come up as something 'other than' "true" widescreen. There are actual several formats used that aren't true 16:9 widescreen.

  17. #57
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    45,603
    Thanks
    6,254
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Go to YouTube.com -Search any topic almost. And go through the first 30 videos. See how many are in widescreen. Comes up about 50% for me.. Or should I say - 50% come up as something 'other than' "true" widescreen. There are actual several formats used that aren't true 16:9 widescreen.
    So this is really just your opinion based on a extremely small sample size. Got it

  18. #58
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,521
    Thanks
    3,094
    Thanked 7,590 Times in 3,871 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    So this is really just your opinion based on a extremely small sample size. Got it
    Fair enough, Simon. :-) But anybody can do the same test at any sample size and will come up with about the same % result. I actually had a project I just recently finished that actually had to intersect with about 150 different YouTube links. The same percentage prevailed in that recent test I had to do for my work.

    Whenever I make a comment here you can be sure it's more than just a capricious opinion. It is based on research, lots of it, and things I've had to do for my job or lots of hobby time I spend here. I'm not interested in just handing out simple opinions here. That's a waste of all of our time.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  19. #59
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,620
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,839 Times in 876 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Fair enough, Simon. :-) But anybody can do the same test at any sample size and will come up with about the same % result. I actually had a project I just recently finished that actually had to intersect with about 150 different YouTube links. The same percentage prevailed in that recent test I had to do for my work.

    Whenever I make a comment here you can be sure it's more than just a capricious opinion. It is based on research, lots of it, and things I've had to do for my job or lots of hobby time I spend here. I'm not interested in just handing out simple opinions here. That's a waste of all of our time.
    Ok here are some facts. The YouTube player size (on there website) is 16:9

    "YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you are uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes (black bars on the left and right) or letter boxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player. If you want to fit the player perfectly, encode at these resolutions:"

    Reference: http://support.google.com/youtube/bi...answer=1722171

    Also when searching YouTube app on your phone the thumbnails on the left are also 16:9. You can quickly tell a video that is not 16:9 format by seeing if there is any title blocks in the thumb nail: as shown in the following screen shot the 4th down



    Also I took your advice. I did a search for music videos on YouTube. You had said to look at the first 30 and about half should be standard 4:3. Well below are the first 29 videos that populate. Not one single video is not in a wide screen 16:9 or greater format.

    So by your study it looks as if 100 percent is 16:9 or greater










  20. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

    Simon (01-23-2013)

  21. #60
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,521
    Thanks
    3,094
    Thanked 7,590 Times in 3,871 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Ok here are some facts. The YouTube player size (on there website) is 16:9

    "YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you are uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes (black bars on the left and right) or letter boxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player. If you want to fit the player perfectly, encode at these resolutions:"

    Reference: Advanced encoding settings - YouTube Help[/url]

    Also when searching YouTube app on your phone the thumbnails on the left are also 16:9. You can quickly tell a video that is not 16:9 format by seeing if there is any title blocks in the thumb nail: as shown in the following screen shot the 4th down

    Also I took your advice. I did a search for music videos on YouTube. You had said to look at the first 30 and about half should be standard 4:3. Well below are the first 29 videos that populate. Not one single video is not in a wide screen 16:9 or greater format.

    So by your study it looks as if 100 percent is 16:9 or greater








    You mean to tell me you can't see the 'black bars' on the TOP of over half the videos in your pics? That is stretching to fit 16:9!!! (not all cases - but in several there). You can see the awful stretching in the Madonna video clip there. Just because YouTube has a 16:9 player doesn't mean the videos are all in 16:9. 4:3 can get STRETCHED to fit a 16:9 window which creates black bars on TOP - not on the sides. That's one reason for the black bars on top - not the only reason. Your clips you've posted there actually prove my point, bro!! But let's not do this again, Sub. Please?!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-23-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts