Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Carnitine' Enables Wi-Fi Based On the Apps You Open

Default 'Carnitine' Enables Wi-Fi Based On the Apps You Open

If you’ve ever been in a situation where you’ve enabled Airplane Mode, or turned off Wi-Fi, but you forgot you had Wi-Fi disabled when you went to open an application that requires Internet access, then a new free jailbreak tweak called Carnitine by iOS developer ClausCartel is a jailbreak tweak you might want to try out.

Rather than inconveniencing yourself to leave the application, find the Settings application, then enable Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi preferences pane, Carnitine will alert you that Wi-Fi is turned off and allow Wi-Fi to be enabled automatically when the application requiring Wi-Fi is opened. If your Wi-Fi is already enabled at the time that you open an application, Carnitine will not ask you if you want it to activate Wi-Fi in any of your applications. The alert only comes up when Wi-Fi is disabled.

As shown above, when you open an application for the first time after installing Carnitine and your Wi-Fi is disabled, you’ll get an alert saying that Carnitine wants to enable Wi-Fi whenever this specific application you launch is opened. When you tap on Cancel, Carnitine will not do so. If you tap on the “Wi-Fi Activation” button, Wi-Fi will be re-enabled automatically when you launch the application. Once you tell Carnitine to enable Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi is disabled, it will remember your setting and never ask you again for that specific application.

One thing to note is that your Wi-Fi will not be turned back off after you exit an application that you had Carnitine re-enable Wi-Fi for. So if you had Wi-Fi turned off to save some battery life, you will need to go to the Settings application and re-disable Wi-Fi after you use the application that needed Wi-Fi access.

You can enable and disable the tweak on demand from the Carnitine preferences pane in the Settings application:

We tried Carnitine out in a number of applications and it worked like a dream; however, its scope of usefulness is limited to niche portion of iOS users. The tweak is free, so if you want to give it a try you can grab it from the BigBoss repository right now.

Name: Carnitine
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: ClausCartel
    Editor's Rating: . 3.5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-19-2013 at 05:29 PM.

If the dev can somehow implement turning wifi back off, I will be all over this.

You just can't please some people.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think if they add a timer on it to make a execution to turn off the wi-fi that would be cool
    Also on the sbsettings a toggle for it too

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

Could've sworn this was made before.. Or something like it

I just use SBsettings and their wifi toggle

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

You're not kidding when you say "its scope of usefulness is limited to niche portion of iOS users."
    Example: you are using WiFi at home and drive to another location that does not have WiFi.
    You still need to go into settings and turn off WiFi.

The whole point if this tweak escapes me as Wifi being on is not the least bit battery draining. Having your cellular on IS very battery draining.

An old Tweak by the same Developer, just modified a bit and renamed to get more downloads...