+ Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pod2g and Planetbeing Announce Progress On iOS 6 Untethered Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
These hackers are incredible and relentless. Thanks for what you do!!!
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

These hackers are incredible and relentless. Thanks for what you do!!!

Thanks

What they need to work on is a non bootrom exploit that will work on All ios versions, future and past, that is critical in ios that cannot be patched by apple. it does not have to be a bootrom exploit because that only will work on some devices. They need to exploit something that is critical to ios that cannot be removed or changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 7,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
    What they need to work on is a non bootrom exploit that will work on All ios versions, future and past, that is critical in ios that cannot be patched by apple. it does not have to be a bootrom exploit because that only will work on some devices. They need to exploit something that is critical to ios that cannot be removed or changed.
    That would be the bootrom. Apple cannot change it with an update.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (01-20-2013), King_O_Hill (01-20-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    ...unless they meant that they need to find a way for initial code execution so they don't have to reveal the secret method they're currently using.
    Based on what planetbeing and Saurik have posted on Reddit, I think this is exactly what it means.

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tysonhemelstrand View Post
    Is there ever going to be an update to redsn0w for a tethered 6.0.1 jailbreak? It's keeping me from being able to jailbreak my Verizon iPhone 4, and honestly, semitether is almost as good as an untethered jailbreak in my opinion.
    Had the exact same problem, i jailbroke using sn0wbreez now everything is fine

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

All i can say is good luck, though i will personally wait for the 5s or an untethered 5, simply because I'm close to my contract due date and i'm thinking of getting either phone, but with 32 gb, my 16gb 4 just doesn't have the space for games, music, and videos.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Totally agree. Jailbreaking has lost nearly all of its appeal. All the new tweaks are garbage, remakes or garbage. Themes haven't been relevant since iOS 4. The only thing people use jailbreaking for nowadays is pirating apps/music/tethering services and converting to TMobile, which doesn't even provide decent service.
    As narrow minded a response I have pretty much read on MMI.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,145 Times in 4,592 Posts

Yes, the injection method is the hardest part. Last time around we had video proof of a 5.1.1 untether right around Thanksgiving of 2011. We didn't get the public untether until 1/20/2012. We've had no video proof of ANY untether for iOS 6 on A6 (though many say we can take Planetbeing at his word).. So the public untether is still a LOOOONG way away, gang.

Jailbreaking is indeed becoming something that's dying out. In the early days we had jailbreaks writhing a few 'weeks' of iOS update releases. Those days are gone forever and not coming back. Apple has 'beaten' us on that front and getting the last word on the topic. They don't want JB - period. They will never change their view on that because Jailbroken phones can't assure stability. Rooted Android phones are riddled with stability issues. Not even in the same league with a JB'en iPhone much less a stock iPhone which is rock stable. I got an iPhone 5 to 'try it out'.. I do like it - but I have a SIM adaptor now and the majority of the time my SIM is in my JB 4S. The stock iPhone OS is just boring as hell.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Can someone please explain in a clear way what is initial injection?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Can someone please explain in a clear way what is initial injection?
    The software package we download to our Mac or PC (like Absinthe or Redsn0w) that delivers the code and Cydia onto our stock iPhones that jailbreaks them is called the 'injection package'.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Faresismail (01-21-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    The software package we download to our Mac or PC (like Absinthe or Redsn0w) that delivers the code and Cydia onto our stock iPhones that jailbreaks them is called the 'injection package'.
    So what they are missing is a way to install "cydia" ( the entire jailbreak ) to our phone right? If that was the case then how did pb say he had an untether on his phone or was it the other exploit he was saving?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,856 Times in 884 Posts

So what they are missing is a way to install "cydia" ( the entire jailbreak ) to our phone right? If that was the case then how did pb say he had an untether on his phone or was it the other exploit he was saving?
    Cydia is just an installer. Jailbreaking essentially is just giving the end user "root" access to apples file structure.

Most likely they are using a method to exploit the vulnerability that isn't a method that can be used as a public release. Once they have a way up inject code to exploit the vulnerability we have a public jailbreak.

This is how I understand it anyway. Haha

15. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

Faresismail (01-21-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Cydia is just an installer. Jailbreaking essentially is just giving the end user "root" access to apples file structure.

Most likely they are using a method to exploit the vulnerability that isn't a method that can be used as a public release. Once they have a way up inject code to exploit the vulnerability we have a public jailbreak.

This is how I understand it anyway. Haha
    I think its the same method but one of the vulnerability doesnt work with it :/ anyway thanks, it really helps clarify things...

Thanks

I think its the same method but one of the vulnerability doesnt work with it :/ anyway thanks, it really helps clarify things...
    Essentially yes. Remember they always keep one exploit for themselves that they never intend to release to public to look at future iOS versions. Because after the release of any public JB Apple fixes the exploit for next release. So the devs will always have an untether before the rest of us (called a "failbreak") that will never be public. Finding the 'injectable' package is the longer process. And will get longer and longer in my view. We may even see, this go around, that we don't get a jailbreak before the next phone is released. That would truly be the end of jailbreaking. At least people would not buy Apple solely because there was a jailbreak possibility Which many of us do now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Faresismail (01-21-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,007 Posts

As I'm sure most if you have seen, @pod2g has some 'good news' for @planetbeing! We can only speculate what that may be, though...

He made this a public tweet instead of a DM so that's always a positive for the community!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Essentially yes. Remember they always keep one exploit for themselves that they never intend to release to public to look at future iOS versions. Because after the release of any public JB Apple fixes the exploit for next release. So the devs will always have an untether before the rest of us (called a "failbreak") that will never be public. Finding the 'injectable' package is the longer process. And will get longer and longer in my view. We may even see, this go around, that we don't get a jailbreak before the next phone is released. That would truly be the end of jailbreaking. At least people would not buy Apple solely because there was a jailbreak possibility Which many of us do now.
    Yea i guess you're right... Anyway thanks for the help and lets just hope we dont to the point where there is no JB :/

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

There's a lengthy article from TechCrunch that explains the current jailbreak status. It's not 100% accurate, but it gives a good enough idea of where we're at: Behind The Scenes Of The iPhone 5 Jailbreak | TechCrunch

Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 7,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    There's a lengthy article from TechCrunch that explains the current jailbreak status. It's not 100% accurate, but it gives a good enough idea of where we're at: Behind The Scenes Of The iPhone 5 Jailbreak | TechCrunch
    Lol, I was just coming here to post the same thing. Saw planetbeing tweet it a little while ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,007 Posts

Nice article! Very excited to see it happen!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't wait for a jailbreak it sucks not having to be free!