+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Apple's iPhone Sales Compare to Samsung's Galaxy Lineup

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The graph outlines the sales of iPhones and Galaxy devices over the course of 2 years. There is a huge rivalry between Samsung and Apple, so great even that the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How Apple's iPhone Sales Compare to Samsung's Galaxy Lineup

The graph outlines the sales of iPhones and Galaxy devices over the course of 2 years.

There is a huge rivalry between Samsung and Apple, so great even that the two companies constantly go to court to defend their products. But enough about only the companies… how well do their products stack up to one another in terms of consumer demand? Consumers are the single best way to measure a product's success.

Definitely one of the major things consumers consider when they look at both the Apple iPhone, or a Samsung Galaxy device, is whether or not the phone will fit their needs. The Galaxy devices come with the Android operating system, while the iPhone comes with the iOS operating system.

According to some stats via BGR, the iPhone is not struggling at all in comparison to Samsung’s Galaxy devices in today's smartphone market. In fact, the iPhone continues to out-sell Samsung’s Galaxy devices – it has done so with the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and now with the iPhone 5. From the graph above, we can actually see that the iPhone 5 has outsold the Samsung Galaxy SIII, and it has achieved a much steeper rate of adoption than both the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.

Since the iPhone 5 was actually released months after the Samsung Galaxy SIII, it’s interesting to see how the iPhone 5’s sales have out-shined the Samsung Galaxy SIII in such a short amount of time given that the Samsung Galaxy SIII has had some time to nest itself into the smartphone market. This is especially interesting considering many people appeared to be disappointed with the iPhone 5 for many reasons:

• The iPhone 5 display became taller, but not wider, not completely filling people's demands
    • iOS 6's Maps application received a ton of bad press and the iPhone 5 came with iOS 6 from the factory
    • The iPhone 5's camera had a bad case of the purple glare when shined toward light sources
    • The iPhone 5 had anodized aluminum scuffing problems right out of the box
    • The lack of an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 or the iPhone 5

Although the iPhone 5 has out-sold the Samsung Galaxy SIII, that’s not to say that Samsung’s Galaxy devices are failing. Samsung’s Galaxy devices are holding solid ground in the smartphone market. The Samsung Galaxy SIII is currently neck and neck with the iPhone 5, both meeting just after the 40 million mark on the graph, although if the Samsung Galaxy SIII follows the same trend as other Samsung Galaxy devices and the iPhone 5 follows the same trend as other iPhones, then the iPhone 5 could out-sell the Samsung Galaxy SIII by a tremendous amount in the future.

One thing that is certainly obvious from the data is that the Samsung Galaxy SIII is the most quickly adopted Samsung Galaxy device of them all, as its line on the graph is the steepest out of all of the Samsung Galaxy devices. With that being said, the Samsung Galaxy SIII appears to be starting its own trend on the graph that doesn’t agree with the rest of the Samsung Galaxy devices and this leaves a lot of wiggle room for interpretation.

While the consumer market appears to be slowly answering all of our questions, the only thing that can truly give us a solid answer is time. Do you think the iPhone 5 or the Samsung Galaxy SIII will be more successful in the future of the smartphone market?

Sources: Raymond James Research via BGR

Thanks for the tip Simon!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't understand. I thought Samsung absolute numbers were trashing Apple. Is this graph US only?
    Last edited by Simon; 01-18-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,828 Times in 6,893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    I don't understand. I thought Samsung absolute numbers were trashing Apple. Is this graph US only?
    Absolute numbers I am sure they do have higher sales, this is just showing 5 of their Galaxy line phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Absolute numbers I am sure they do have higher sales, this is just showing 5 of their Galaxy line phones.
    Well that's the thing. Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle but if you add up all the iPhones I estimate 92 for the iP4S, 86 for the iP4 and 40 for the iP5.
    Then I have 40 for the SII, 40 for the SIII, 25 for the SI, 13 for the Note, and 13 for the Note II.

I'm assuming these figures are in millions. So my total for the most recent times are 131m for Samsungs offerings and 218m for Apples?

Thanks

This graph makes the iPhone look like it's out selling Samsung. You have to remember there's far more phones running Android so yes its going to make it look like Samsung isn't selling as much . I own both iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S3/Note 2. To be honest I prefer the ios over android. I think if Samsung was the only phone running android the gap would be much tighter.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't know about trashing in the sense of sales, but absolutely in terms of innovation. Also samsung sells more devices with their whole lineup, this is only their galaxy series. If you compare all samsung phones vs apple's, yeah trashing is the word to use.

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    I don't know about trashing in the sense of sales, but absolutely in terms of innovation. Also samsung sells more devices with their whole lineup, this is only their galaxy series. If you compare all samsung phones vs apple's, yeah trashing is the word to use.
    You also forgot to mention Samsung's fleet of phones. This is only 5 of them. They have dozens.
    Last edited by xzero; 01-18-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This article is getting the most most superficial information revealed by the graph. There is at least one more fact shown by the graph:
    S II was released one year after Galaxy S, and it took about 10 months to catch up on the total sales of its predecessor; then S III was released one year after S II, and it took about 6 months to catch up on the total sales of S II. Note II was released one year after its predecessor Note, and it took only 3-4 months to catch up on the total sales of Note. On the other hand, 4S took 10-11 months to catch up on the total sales of iPhone 4, while iPhone 5 doesn't seem to have a chance to catch up on the total sales of 4S in the same amount of time.
    This illustrate clearly that both Galaxy S and Note lines are growing much faster than iPhone, and its growing rate is still constantly accelarating.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,828 Times in 6,893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tongxinshe View Post
    This article is getting the most most superficial information revealed by the graph. There is at least one more fact shown by the graph:
    S II was released one year after Galaxy S, and it took about 10 months to catch up on the total sales of its predecessor; then S III was released one year after S II, and it took about 6 months to catch up on the total sales of S II. Note II was released one year after its predecessor Note, and it took only 3-4 months to catch up on the total sales of Note. On the other hand, 4S took 10-11 months to catch up on the total sales of iPhone 4, while iPhone 5 doesn't seem to have a chance to catch up on the total sales of 4S in the same amount of time.
    This illustrate clearly that both Galaxy S and Note lines are growing much faster than iPhone, and its growing rate is still constantly accelarating.
    While you are right the popularity of the Galaxy line of devices is increasing, especially since the S3, you aren't taking into account that the 4S has a lot higher to go in terms of numbers than the S2/3 or Notes did. Also saying the iPhone 5 won't be able to reach the numbers of the 4 and 4S is just silly. There is no reason to think it won't, notice it has the steepest line of all the phones in the graph, it took half the time the S3 took to get to 40mil. I also expect the S3 to keep climbing and leave its predecessor in the dust becoming the best selling Galaxy phone ever, at least until the S4. The GS4 and iPhone 5S should be a very interesting fight in terms of sales I think, giving the trend I think they may be neck and neck.

Banned
    Thanks

+10,000,000,000

I guess whoever made this chart didn't think anybody would actually take a closer look at it. lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

The s3 and IPhone 5 are both great devices. Both companies are still doing great.

Thanks

Previous owner of 3G, 4, 4S, and 5... Bought the Note II a couple of weeks ago... Wouldn't trade it for any other phone. From my point of view, the best of them all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blueaviator For This Useful Post:

mlee19841 (01-18-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
    Previous owner of 3G, 4, 4S, and 5... Bought the Note II a couple of weeks ago... Wouldn't trade it for any other phone. From my point of view, the best of them all.
    How's the batt life and is the screen size to big

Thanks
    Many people are waiting for the jailbreak of the final ios 6 for the iphone5. Once that happens I guarantee it will pass the 4s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
    That's cool and to each their own but I'm still wondering how you 'guys' carry the Note (II) around...seems too big for a pocket.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jokadaking View Post
    Many people are waiting for the jailbreak of the final ios 6 for the iphone5. Once that happens I guarantee it will pass the 4s
    If the whole 5 percent of people who JB their iphones upgraded they would only add 11 million to the total anyway. There's no doubt that the i5 will surpass the 4s but realistically its not gonna be because of a jailbreak

Thanks

I have both iPad 2 and Samsung galaxy. Was quite ok with the usage of both these products. But then, Samsung galaxy stopped working one fine day. It just blacked out. Tried out many tips, but nothing worked out. The service center is working out to find the prob. After this, I am not a big time fan of Samsung products.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    I think if Samsung was the only phone running android the gap would be much tighter.
    I think that's the main thing I didn't take account of.

Thanks

Shouldn't you be comparing Apples to Oranges?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    How's the batt life and is the screen size to big
    I did exactly what he did. Had a 3g-> 4-> then 5-> a week after I got the 5, traded for a Note 2.

Battery life is the best I have ever seen, wow. Just wow. One reason I got rid of the 5 was because of the horrible battery life, I would have it on the lowest screen brightness with EVERYTHING off (push, lte, etc) and it was just horrid. Now with the Note 2, I can easily get 10 hours of SCREEN ON time. Yes that is right, SCREEN ON, not just the phone being on, the screen is on. Usually it lasts about 36-48 hours before I need to charge again. I leave for work at 7, come home around 10 at night, and it will be sitting at literally 40-50% and that is with A LOT of use.

The screen may be big for some, but I am 6'4" and my hands are pretty big, so it seems normal to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    I did exactly what he did. Had a 3g-> 4-> then 5-> a week after I got the 5, traded for a Note 2.

The screen may be big for some, but I am 6'4" and my hands are pretty big, so it seems normal to me.
    I don't think it's just hand size that's a factor. I'm 6-4 also but the device size is ludicrous from the point of view of being really portable.
    Ignoring which anybody thinks is better in terms of specs and software or perceived quality, a friend showed me his not so long ago - first thing I did was put it in my pocket. Or rather try to.
    Levis 512 if you're wondering.
    This while I was standing. Lucky I wasn't trying to retrieve it whilst sitting in a car.

It also feels large enough to be annoying while in a loose trouser pocket. You can almost feel the momentum from it swinging if you break into a canter. That said, yes I could have put it into my coat pocket.

Might be a great device but for me, too big. Far too big.