+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Walmart's Unlimited Data Straight Talk iPhone Not As Unlimited As Originally Thought

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I have iph4s on Verizon unlimited and have never noticed any throttling. Last month used 7GB and never saw a speed reduction.
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,332 Times in 5,978 Posts

I have iph4s on Verizon unlimited and have never noticed any throttling. Last month used 7GB and never saw a speed reduction.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't believe anyone drank this Kool-Aid to start with. Others of us have been using ST SIM cards for three years and know what "unlimited" is. ST must have targeted iPhone 5 specific SIMs, because most of the users I interact with don't get hit with EDGE until 3GB.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is sort of funny as none of the people who got the Walmart deal bothered to look at their terms of service.
    I bet the throttling is clearly outlined in it...
    Now people are surprised?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZipZapp View Post
    This is sort of funny as none of the people who got the Walmart deal bothered to look at their terms of service.
    I bet the throttling is clearly outlined in it...
    Now people are surprised?
    Have you ever been on the (peopleofwalmart) website. Assuming they can read is your first mistake.
    LOL

Funny Pictures at WalMart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It isn't really surprising IMO. For $45, you're getting a deal as it is. I pay $70 for my line alone on Verizon (totally worth it for my grandfathered unlimited 4G data) so I'd probably be upset if it got throttled since I pay $70 a month lol. If it only costs me $45 a month I probably wouldn't complain about some throttling.

But regardless, it's still "unlimited" so to speak. Some throttling doesn't make it any less unlimited. You still don't get charged extra for using more than 2GB, you just don't get what you want as fast as you want. I think it's more like an "unlimited with conditions" data plan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Data useage
    Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    What does the "every 20 minutes" part relate to? And if you've eaten at an all-you-can-eat buffet for an hour and you're still eating, you really do need to stop.

A better analogy would be that you can fill three plates up with as much food as you want. That's enough for most people. After that, you can continue eating as much as you want; you just get smaller plates to carry your food on. It's still all-you-can-eat. Nobody ever said they had to give you the biggest plates they had just like AT&T never agreed to give you the fastest speeds available for your unlimited data.
    AT&T did promise me full 3g speeds on my unlimited plan and while I was still under contract withdrew the unlimited plan and then started throttling my speed saying I was in the top percentile for data users. After the hue and cry and petitions AT&T finally started throttling at 3gb instead of using a percentage of data users all this happening while I'm still under contract. It is virtually impossible to get a lawyer to take a case of fraud of this size as the money amount is too small and you can't file a class action under the terms of the AT&T contract.

I have 3 iPhones in use, 2 of which use very little data. I was paying $30 for each unlimited data plan. I just changed my plan to unlimited talk and text and 10gb shared data which will give my phone about 9gb a month as the other phones use a few hundred mbs a month. Going to a shared plan costs me about $20 less a month overall and I get full speed data for my phone.

When all my phones are out of contract I will consider changing carriers.
    Last edited by Tigir; 01-20-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: adding

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    What does the "every 20 minutes" part relate to? And if you've eaten at an all-you-can-eat buffet for an hour and you're still eating, you really do need to stop.

A better analogy would be that you can fill three plates up with as much food as you want. That's enough for most people. After that, you can continue eating as much as you want; you just get smaller plates to carry your food on. It's still all-you-can-eat. Nobody ever said they had to give you the biggest plates they had just like AT&T never agreed to give you the fastest speeds available for your unlimited data.
    By calling it unlimited, they are implying that it is unlimited. By throttling, they are limiting. An all-you-can-eat buffet will soon go out of business if they start treating their customers like that.

Thanks

Not necessarily. Carriers state unlimited data as a non restriction on how much data you can use. It is still unlimited bc youre not restricted to how much you can use. It is not always meant to be unlimited in a sense that there is no cap on the speed at a certain point, for some carriers. The name of the plan is "unlimited data." So that is exactly what straight talk is providing. There shouldnt be any complaints if we are getting technical. Comolaints should only arise if the plan is called "unlimited high speed data" bc then it is advertising no limits on high speed data.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Not necessarily. Carriers state unlimited data as a non restriction on how much data you can use. It is still unlimited bc youre not restricted to how much you can use. It is not always meant to be unlimited in a sense that there is no cap on the speed at a certain point, for some carriers. The name of the plan is "unlimited data." So that is exactly what straight talk is providing. There shouldnt be any complaints if we are getting technical. Comolaints should only arise if the plan is called "unlimited high speed data" bc then it is advertising no limits on high speed data.
    Fine print. It's lame.

Here's the way I see it. They're slowing you down. It's a type of limit. It's not a cap, but it's reducing your productivity.

I agree with those calling it false advertising. The carriers can wiggle out of it all they want, but I'll never agree with their practices.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-20-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks

Either side has a point. But hey what is the fine print for anyway lol. It's really the consumer's fault for not reading. I myself never read all that fine print when I sign a contract although we all really should. It is what it is but hey for $45 a month, that's cheaper than any actual capped data plan that the major US carriers use.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah it's more for less, but I would want to see the downlink and uplink speeds. And if they even have LTE would be another selling point for me.

Thanks

Lol I dont think I could ever be one of those people who pay less for this though. Once you go LTE it is really hard to go back.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Your iPhone needs to be unlocked to be able to use mms with straighttalk

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12