+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The AL13 Aluminum Bumper Case Is A Great-looking Minimalist Case for iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One question that always comes up in the minds of iPhone minimalists is, “what case can I get for my iPhone that won’t be bulky and will still show off
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default The AL13 Aluminum Bumper Case Is A Great-looking Minimalist Case for iPhone

One question that always comes up in the minds of iPhone minimalists is, “what case can I get for my iPhone that won’t be bulky and will still show off the amazing industrial design of the device while still offering at least some protection?”

The upcoming AL13 Aluminum Bumper case is a good place to start. It is a project on Kickstarter that has met its funding requirements and it’s still collecting backers. It will be available for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5 and it comes in black, red, silver, and a limited edition Kickstarter green (all are anodized, just like the iPhone 5).

What you get with the case is a bumper-style design, just like the Bumper case we were able to get for free with the iPhone 4 after the antenna-gate issues. The AL13 case, however, is made from aerospace aluminum and only weighs 16 grams. It will absorb shock from minor falls, as well as keep the front and rear of the iPhone protected from scuff scratches on flat surfaces due to the raised design.

Just for added protection, the case will also come with a screen protector and a protector for the rear of the iPhone as well.

On the sides, there is generous access to the volume buttons, ringer/silent switch, headphone and dock ports, speaker, microphone, and power button. From the back, the whole rear of the iPhone can be seen and this means there’s nothing there to interfere with your camera lens, LED flash, or rear-facing microphone. You'll also find two logos on the case – on the left side is the AL logo for the AL13 case, and on the right side is the M logo for the makers of the case.

Since the AL13 is made out of aluminum, you might be wondering how your iPhone gets put into the case. After all, it’s a bumper case, and aluminum wouldn’t be very friendly to your iPhone if you were to snap the iPhone in like one of Apple’s bumpers...

Well unlike many other aluminum cases that use screws to install and uninstall the iPhone, the AL13 uses an ingenious sliding door method for installing the iPhone or removing it:

The AL13 Aluminum Bumper case has 27 more days of funding to go and has already reached over 1,000 backers and almost $70,000 for production (their initial goal was only $20,000). If the team reaches $75,000 in funding, they will make an additional color available for section. If the team reaches $100,000 in funding, they will make two additional colors available for selection. The color choices will be decided by the backers, who can leave a message to the maker telling them what color to make and the votes will be tallied.

What do you think about the AL13? Personally, I'm impressed by it, being a minimalist of design myself. If you're into minimalist cases, you should totally back this case!

For a video link that works with our mobile app, tap on the link below:

Video Link

Sources: Kickstarter via ThinkByM
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-16-2013 at 08:38 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

"That feeling when you open your iPhone 5 box and you're ohhhhhh...." you mean the feeling of disappointment because its pretty much the same phone as the last two?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just did $55

I haven't used Kickstarter before - will I get an e-mail or something asking what color I want?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    "That feeling when you open your iPhone 5 box and you're ohhhhhh...." you mean the feeling of disappointment because its pretty much the same phone as the last two?
    Why don't you just piss off to a fandroid site? Are we unclear what we do here?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swatme101 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (01-16-2013), mhaney (01-16-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swatme101 View Post
    Why don't you just piss off to a fandroid site? Are we unclear what we do here?
    Typical Apple fanboy behavior. Just because somebody doesn't like what Apple are doing, you automatically assume they're an Android fanboy. Fact: Apple stocks dipped below $500 for the first time in almost a year. Why?

Full disclosure, I was an Apple user (still is at work) up till the 4S. I went through a WP7 period with the Lumia 800 and have now settled on an HTC One X. I'll say this, 4S and 5 are the least innovative phones I've seen in years.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itaintrite View Post
    Typical Apple fanboy behavior. Just because somebody doesn't like what Apple are doing, you automatically assume they're an Android fanboy. Fact: Apple stocks dipped below $500 for the first time in almost a year. Why?

Full disclosure, I was an Apple user (still is at work) up till the 4S. I went through a WP7 period with the Lumia 800 and have now settled on an HTC One X. I'll say this, 4S and 5 are the least innovative phones I've seen in years.
    The only question is, if you don't like Apple at all, what are you doing on an all Apple blog if not just being a pathetic, pissy little fanboy that somehow feels superior by spewing stupid crap to people who could care less what you say?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (01-16-2013)

Thanks

Troll.

Thanks

the real question is, how does it affect signal strength.. tried cases that supposedly had solutions to signal loss but data speeds and call quality still took hits.

Meh
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itzbilly View Post
    the real question is, how does it affect signal strength.. tried cases that supposedly had solutions to signal loss but data speeds and call quality still took hits.
    Exactly! I've tried 2 different aluminum bumper cases and both caused signal problems. What's the point of it then? Just to add a small bit of colour? It's not like people buy these for their actual protection. They usually cost quite a bit too and after 2 disappointments if I'm going to spend that much for a case I'd rather do so for a handmade leather one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone br8thw8's Avatar
    Thanks
    What value added comment did you post? Uh, it was zero. It is pathetic that trolls like you waste our time (as well as yours if you think about it) with posts like the one you left.

Personally, I am curious to know if this will affect the signal or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itzbilly View Post
    Yeah just like every elements aluminum case I had destroyed all possibility of a good signal until they started implementing abs plastic where it counts. So what you're left with is cheap crap! Oh and let's not forget about the hefty price on alloy casing. They can keep it!

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Yeah just like every elements aluminum case I had destroyed all possibility of a good signal until they started implementing abs plastic where it counts. So what you're left with is cheap crap! Oh and let's not forget about the hefty price on alloy casing. They can keep it!
    I just looked at the photos. You can bet your life your RSSI will suck a monkeys bagels with this wrapped around your phone.
    Last edited by flash66; 01-16-2013 at 11:08 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Exactly! I've tried 2 different aluminum bumper cases and both caused signal problems. What's the point of it then? Just to add a small bit of colour? It's not like people buy these for their actual protection. They usually cost quite a bit too and after 2 disappointments if I'm going to spend that much for a case I'd rather do so for a handmade leather one.
    LifeProof case FTW. I've taken it in a river, in the snow, desert and sand dunes in a buggy(mounted), and even fallen out of my pocket doing a wheelie on my motorcycle going 40mph. Phone is perfectly fine and unaffected by all of the above. A tad expensive, but well worth it in my experience... but then again it won't show the back so its probably not a case for people who would rather look cool than stay protected.

P.S I am not an advertiser with lifeproof whatsoever, just like their case

Green Apple
    Thanks

I remember when I went to the apple store to get my iPhone 5. The apple lady was like "here I will let you open your new iPhone." In my head, I was like "dude its the same sh*t as before."

A week later, put an ad on craigslist to trade the iphone away for the Note 2. BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE AFTER 5 YEARS OF IPHONE. Cannot believe I ever had an Apple product for the past 5 years. What is worse was that I have an iPad as well and I want to throw that against the wall after realizing how amazing android is. This is coming from a apple user of 5 years. Never ever going back to apple again. Their products are such a disappointment.

Tim Cook is definitely going to be pulled out as Apple's CEO. QUOTE ME ON THAT! He will be gone in under 6 months.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    I remember when I went to the apple store to get my iPhone 5. The apple lady was like "here I will let you open your new iPhone." In my head, I was like "dude its the same sh*t as before."

A week later, put an ad on craigslist to trade the iphone away for the Note 2. BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE AFTER 5 YEARS OF IPHONE. Cannot believe I ever had an Apple product for the past 5 years. What is worse was that I have an iPad as well and I want to throw that against the wall after realizing how amazing android is. This is coming from a apple user of 5 years. Never ever going back to apple again. Their products are such a disappointment.

Tim Cook is definitely going to be pulled out as Apple's CEO. QUOTE ME ON THAT! He will be gone in under 6 months.
    Anger management perhaps?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Element case .com are the best I wouldn't buy this one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

I kinda don't like having the back of the iPhone exposed too much,the case looks nice though

Thanks

I am tough on my phone and bumpers don't protect them well. I have used an otterbox defender and a lifeproof case. I like the lifeproof a lot better. It is thinner waterproof and better looking. A little expensive but not too bad, and their customer service has been very good at replacing cases whenever there is an issue with one. Bumpers, be they metal or plastic don't keep the phone from getting scratched or smashed very well, so not for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itaintrite View Post

didnt you know..you cant say anything negative about Apple or the iphone around here. Some people are just too close mined and blind. I do find it funny that if you make one negative remark your called a Android fanboy lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    If you thought that then why did you even buy an iP5?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
    didnt you know..you cant say anything negative about Apple or the iphone around here. Some people are just too close mined and blind. I do find it funny that if you make one negative remark your called a Android fanboy lol.
    You misspelled minded. Argument irrelevant.