+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook Silently Rolling Out Free Calling in US From Facebook Messenger for iPhone App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Facebook Wednesday began rolling out the feature to call your Facebook friends for free in the United States by using the free Facebook Messenger application in the App Store for
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Facebook Silently Rolling Out Free Calling in US From Facebook Messenger for iPhone App

Facebook Wednesday began rolling out the feature to call your Facebook friends for free in the United States by using the free Facebook Messenger application in the App Store for iPhone. Facebook Messenger is a separate application from the all-in-one Facebook application, and the calling feature appears to be absent from the all-in-one Facebook application at this point in time.

As shown above, the Facebook Messenger application is being updated behind the scenes with support for free calling. It doesn’t require an update from the App Store, as the update is being added from Facebook’s side. Facebook did something similar when they added the new Photo Sync feature to the all-in-one Facebook application, which didn’t require an App Store update.

To get to the free calling feature, one needs to simply launch the Facebook Messenger application, choose one of their existing conversations, tap on the "i" button at the top right of the display, and the interface shown above will be seen by the user. The free calling feature does not appear to be available for everyone just yet, as the feature is in the process of being launched, however it will be available for everyone in the United States in due time.

The free calling feature was first released in Canada earlier in January, and the roll out into the United States seems to illustrate that the testing was a success. The feature can be used over both Wi-Fi and over a cellular connection.

You can download the Facebook Messenger application for free from this link. Is the free calling feature working for you yet?

Sources: Facebook via The Verge

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I see the Free Call button but its greyed out. Tried a few contacts but same thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I see the Free Call button but its greyed out. Tried a few contacts but same thing.
    Same here

Thanks

There is an update, 2.1.1 that came out today but the outcome is the same. No one seems to be available to call. They're all greyed out.
    Last edited by epiticus1; 01-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassvictim's Avatar
    Thanks

Same here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    same here...

Thanks
    I can call a few of my contacts, but most are gray. Is this update for android phones too?