+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5S May Feature Finger Sensor Behind Home Button

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With speculation rampant that Apple's 'iPhone 5S' will enter production in March, we're beginning to hear chatter about one of the more significant additions reportedly on tap for the refreshed
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iPhone 5S May Feature Finger Sensor Behind Home Button

With speculation rampant that Apple's 'iPhone 5S' will enter production in March, we're beginning to hear chatter about one of the more significant additions reportedly on tap for the refreshed smartphone.

In a move that would deliver a tremendous security upgrade to the iPhone user experience, Apple may deliver a highly sophisticated fingerprint sensor beneath the iPhone's home button. Given the basic design of the iPhone, this critical security feature would be unique to the smartphone world in its placement on the handset.

According to published reports Wednesday, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities believes 2013 will be the year when Apple finally collects on its acquisition of AuthenTec. Consequently, the iPhone 5S may become the most secure smartphone of its time.

Beyond the inclusion of the fingerprint sensor, possible inclusion of NFC capabilities, and an A7 chip, it isn't clear what other major upgrades might be in store for the iPhone 5S. But as we get closer to March, I'm confident the rumor mill will give us plenty more to consider.

Source: CNET

Green Apple
    Thanks

I finally was able to update to 6.0.2 cuz I deleted tiny umbrella !!
    Ill let every1 know if I have battery or wifi problems!

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlevine54 View Post
    I finally was able to update to 6.0.2 cuz I deleted tiny umbrella !!
    Ill let every1 know if I have battery or wifi problems!
    Glad you figured it out

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    Glad you figured it out
    Thanks for helping!!!
    Are you on 6.0.2 yourself?

Thanks

Hmm..well if we've learned from the past then we KNOW it will at least be faster, should have NFC(been waiting for years), A7 chip is natural progression(no brainer)...Im hoping for something else a wow factor. Haven't seen one since Siri and Siri is not much of anything as of yet. I skipped the iPhone 5 and kept my 4S. Can't wait to see what is in store for the 5S..keep us posted!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Razorinthe60s's Avatar
    Thanks

Wifi problems still when update to 6.0.2. Hope jailbreak come when 6.1 is realized.
    Don't allow others to tell you What you Can and What you can't Do. Live that's your only option.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 728 Posts

I never had wifi problems I've had cellular problems and thought 6.0.1 would fix it but it didn't and then thought 6.0.2 would fix it but no. Hoping 6.1 seals the deal

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If we have learned anythign the 5s will have no improvements other than processor and potentially camera.. lets not get into the cycle of thinking they would change their product twice in 2 years

iPhone? More like MyPhone peacedog's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there a problem with MMi's commenting system? All I see is comments about poor wifi on iOS 6 on this "iPhone 5S May Feature Finger Sensor Behind Home Button" article.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is a question that's been on my mind for a while is NFC really THAT wanted?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlevine54 View Post
    Thanks for helping!!!
    Are you on 6.0.2 yourself?
    No problem! But no I am on 6.0.1, I only have an iPhone 4S, not iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    This is a question that's been on my mind for a while is NFC really THAT wanted?
    I don't think so, i had it for my sIII, rarely used it, once it twice to test it but never for a purpose, although I've heard it's used widely in Europe as a payment system, I do live in the us but never used it
    Last edited by fanboyfanboy; 01-16-2013 at 03:57 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sensor or not. I still hope they keep the actual physical button.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Hmm..well if we've learned from the past then we KNOW it will at least be faster, should have NFC(been waiting for years), A7 chip is natural progression(no brainer)...Im hoping for something else a wow factor. Haven't seen one since Siri and Siri is not much of anything as of yet. I skipped the iPhone 5 and kept my 4S. Can't wait to see what is in store for the 5S..keep us posted!
    I second these sentiments. Though mu 4S is a little bit beat up! Hope its released soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Finger sensing means no dfu mode = no jailbreak ...lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Finger sensing means no dfu mode = no jailbreak ...lol
    assuming they remove the physical button over the sensor. But of course, Apple wouldn't just move the functionality to trigger DFU mode to a different button, like a volume button. Oh wait, yeah, they probably would.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
    assuming they remove the physical button over the sensor. But of course, Apple wouldn't just move the functionality to trigger DFU mode to a different button, like a volume button. Oh wait, yeah, they probably would.
    You can still jailbreak with Jailbreakme ( comex gone ) or any program which doesn't require u to hold down the Home button . I better stick with my iPhone 5 for now ..lol
    Last edited by iYeow; 01-16-2013 at 10:46 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am still using my iPhone 4. I skipped over the 4s, just because ok it had some more performance, and the included siri, My sister had 2 of the 4s and I tried one for a week, didn't really care for it, Plus you know if I wanted siri I could always use some jailbreak tweak, then the iPhone 5 came out, I was then going to buy it.

I liked how it had the 1-gig of ram, new and improved speaker, noise cancellation, and better camera. Then I started to see people complaint about the screen/keyboard glitch, the camera issues, and how they hated the apple maps and on top of that no JB. so then I backed off yet again, and I am thinking of backing off of the iPhone 5 and then buying the 5s, yeah my phone is outdated, but hey it WORKS, plus it has a untethered JB!

Anyway I do think, that the finger sensor will be nice, I am always in meetings and with the little ones running around the house grabbing anything and EVERYTHING they can, I would be nice to see there faces when them try to use the 5s and cant play games without daddy's fingerprint..LOL!

but the thing is, will the iPhone still keep in there regular price ranges or will they jack up the prices for more added security?

I don't know but I do know this for sure, I do hope I will see better reasons to upgrade..LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrwilson1992 View Post
    I am still using my iPhone 4. I skipped over the 4s, just because ok it had some more performance, and the included siri, My sister had 2 of the 4s and I tried one for a week, didn't really care for it, Plus you know if I wanted siri I could always use some jailbreak tweak, then the iPhone 5 came out, I was then going to buy it.

I liked how it had the 1-gig of ram, new and improved speaker, noise cancellation, and better camera. Then I started to see people complaint about the screen/keyboard glitch, the camera issues, and how they hated the apple maps and on top of that no JB. so then I backed off yet again, and I am thinking of backing off of the iPhone 5 and then buying the 5s, yeah my phone is outdated, but hey it WORKS, plus it has a untethered JB!

Anyway I do think, that the finger sensor will be nice, I am always in meetings and with the little ones running around the house grabbing anything and EVERYTHING they can, I would be nice to see there faces when them try to use the 5s and cant play games without daddy's fingerprint..LOL!

but the thing is, will the iPhone still keep in there regular price ranges or will they jack up the prices for more added security?

I don't know but I do know this for sure, I do hope I will see better reasons to upgrade..LOL.
    Just so you know, the camera in the 4S and 5 are the same... Haha

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrwilson1992 View Post

If history is any indication subsidized prices will remain the same. Apple so far has never changed them for adding in new tech and new functionality, even after making the screen taller. The only way I see it changing is if they make the screen wider as well, while still keeping the other two form factors, but even then, they may make the largest screen their $199 price point entry model and lower the others. If not, it will probably be $50 to $100 more, but I would bet on $50 at the most, simply because they don't want to be too high above the Android "flagship" phones like the GSIII and Razr Maxx HD, which both started high but then came down quite quickly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    Just so you know, the camera in the 4S and 5 are the same... Haha
    Yes but the ISP on the A6 chip is better and has more graphics cores. And for those who didn't watch the iPhone 5 announcement from Apple ISP is not Internet Service Provider, it's Image Signal Processor. So even though the lens is slightly better on iPhone 5 vs 4s it uses the same 8MP Sensor but produces better images because of the extra lens and enhanced ISP. So Haha pay closer attention to detail and don't just hone in on the Mega Pixels because they are the same but overall completely different!!! Don't be a MP Wh0re!!! More MP is not always better and 8MP 4s is not equal to 8MP 5!!!