+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Will Allow FaceTime Over Cellular for iOS 6 Users With Tiered Data Plans

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Several Weeks ago, AT&T had begun enabling FaceTime over cellular for numerous subscribers to the carrier’s network. It was a prerequisite that the device needed to be LTE-capable and running
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T Will Allow FaceTime Over Cellular for iOS Users With Tiered Data Plans

Several Weeks ago, AT&T had begun enabling FaceTime over cellular for numerous subscribers to the carrier’s network. It was a prerequisite that the device needed to be LTE-capable and running iOS 6 to take advantage of the feature. This would mean Apple’s latest iPhone 5 and latest LTE-capable iPads would be the only candidates for FaceTime over cellular on AT&T’s network.

AT&T has announced Wednesday afternoon that they will be allowing all iOS 6 device users capable of FaceTime functionality, and who are linked to tiered data plan subscriptions, to use FaceTime over AT&T’s cellular network. The announcement does not make any mention of unlimited data plan subscribers, in what might be an attempt to get people to sign up with tiered data plans.

This includes the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and the iPad 2, which aren't LTE devices, but can all connect to AT&T’s cellular network, have front-facing cameras, and can run iOS 6. iOS 6 is a requirement since iOS 6 is the first version of iOS to come native with the ability to enable FaceTime over cellular without the need for a jailbreak to do so.

AT&T says that the roll out will once again be slow and gradual, because they want to be able to examine the impact on their cellular performance since their goal is to provide a great mobile experience for their customers. The roll out will be free for everyone involved and the feature will be enabled automatically for users.

Sources: AT&T via 9to5Mac

Thanks

I'm on a mobile share plan, and it's already working on my 4S.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evaded View Post
    I'm on a mobile share plan, and it's already working on my 4S.
    Shared data plans have had the feature even before AT&T released it for LTE iOS devices.

They used to limit it to the shared data plans only.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Shared data plans have had the feature even before AT&T released it for LTE iOS devices.

You're correct, I just switched to the mobile share last week and hadn't thought about that. I didn't have it prior to that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm calling FCC today. I had filed a complaint with FCC more than 40 days ago and AT&T hasn't called me so I'll be calling FCC to check on the status. Per FCC's website, "The FCC will coordinate with the service provider identified in your complaint. If you do not hear back from your service provider within 40 days, please call us at the telephone number below with your tracking number for a status check."

I'm on unlimited data plan on iPhone 5.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

EdgeNsketch (01-17-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I hate AT&T.

Thanks

From a grandfathered unlimited plan user's point of view, ATT is still the douchebag of cell carriers.

Thanks

I am on the unlimited data plan and tried t get them to enable this feature on my iphone 5. They told me this feature was not available on my plan and would have to convert to a tiered data plan. So sad. Can't wait for the jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I just checked my iPhone 5 and it automatically switched me over to use FT over cellular....don't know how but-sweet!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Spoke with FCC. AT&T responded to my complaint but their response was stupid talking about FaceTime is available on LTE capable devices on iOS 6. I mentioned that I have a LTE capable iPhone 5 on iOS 6 but FaceTime doesn't work. And that AT&T is forcing me to downgrade my data plan. So the helpful rep escalated my complaint to a higher level. I'll update in two weeks.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

EdgeNsketch (01-17-2013), Jj2345 (01-16-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Spoke with FCC. AT&T responded to my complaint but their response was stupid talking about FaceTime is available on LTE capable devices on iOS 6. I mentioned that I have a LTE capable iPhone 5 on iOS 6 but FaceTime doesn't work. And that AT&T is forcing me to downgrade my data plan. So the helpful rep escalated my complaint to a higher level. I'll update in two weeks.
    Yeah keep us updated,smh att

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep. I'm on grandfathered in unlimited and it's a no-go on my iPhone 5. To top it off I can't maintain a wifi connection in my house on this device only. 2 swaps later, still a problem. That combined with no jailbreak is a real drag.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

Jj2345 (01-16-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    This was the conclusion of my Better Business Bureau complaint:
    "The FCC's net neutrality rules do not regulate the availability to customers of applications that are preloaded on phones."

Maybe Apple should not include it on their phone...
    Last edited by Norb; 01-16-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks

What's AT&T's logic here? As longer standing customers we get the shaft, again. One may argue that we, because we have unlimited data, can abuse the service more than others. Yet there's still a 5GB limit on my plan before it's throttled and the feature is rendered unusable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
    What's AT&T's logic here? As longer standing customers we get the shaft, again. One may argue that we, because we have unlimited data, can abuse the service more than others. Yet there's still a 5GB limit on my plan before it's throttled and the feature is rendered unusable.
    Their logic is that they want unlimited users off of unlimited data so they are trying to find any legal way to make their limited plans look appealing.

Thanks

This is the prefect example why consumers shouldn't rely on Carrier subsidies! If everybody and their pets are locked in 2-year contracts, what incentive do Carriers have to lower monthly cost???

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
    I think the logic is: AT&T doesn't make any more money on unlimited plans. So they switch you to a tiered plan where they are guaranteed to make more money! More Money! More Money!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

Doesn't work on my wife's iPhone 4, but does on my 4S. Both are on the same Mobile Share plan....

Under settings on the 4 it doesn't even give you the option to enable FaceTime over cellular. Both phones are running iOS 6.0.1. When I attempt to make a FaceTime call with her 4 it tells me to join a wifi spot, when I try to FaceTime her with my 4S it says she is unavailable to FaceTime at this time.

Thanks

It's worth switching to Verizon (they actually have lte coverage) and giving up your unlimited data. Just be careful. AT&T will try to stick with a bill for the whole month, even after you cancel their service. This would never even be news for Verizon since they've allowed it from the start.

Thanks

Meh!