+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tap Instead of Slide to Unlock With 'tapUnlock'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you don’t like the slide to unlock bar on the lock screen, and you’d rather tap to unlock your iOS device, then check out a new free jailbreak tweak
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 760 Posts

Default Tap Instead of Slide to Unlock With 'tapUnlock'

If you don’t like the slide to unlock bar on the lock screen, and you’d rather tap to unlock your iOS device, then check out a new free jailbreak tweak in Cydia starting today called tapUnlock by iOS development team Hashbang Productions.

TapUnlock literally replaces the slide to unlock bar on your lock screen with a tap to unlock button. The button is styled just like an iOS button would be, so it doesn’t skimp out on looks – it will turn blue, like many other similar buttons in iOS, when you tap on it.

Not only does the tweak replace the slide to unlock slider with a button, but it will also replace the sliders relating to turning off your device and answering phone calls with similar buttons:

Since the lock screen’s slide to unlock slider turns into its own tap to unlock button and retains the same size as the lock screen’s side to unlock slider, the Camera Grabber is not affected by the tweak and you can still continue using it to get the Camera application in a rush.

There are many WinterBoard themes in Cydia that perform similarly to the way tapUnlock does, but the beauty of tapUnlock is that it’s a jailbreak tweak and this means it doesn’t require WinterBoard to use. Additionally, because it's a jailbreak tweak and not a theme, tapUnlock is compatible with countless themes that a theme enabling tap to unlock might not be compatible with. These are two of the main reasons behind its development.

TapUnlock has no options to configure and you'll have to uninstall the tweak to disable it. If you want tapUnlock, you can grab it from the BigBoss repository right now.

Name: tapUnlock
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Hashbang Productions
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-12-2013 at 11:41 AM.

*T*
    Thanks

We've seen at least 20 remakes of this function over the years... Why even bother to review it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to *T* For This Useful Post:

Jj2345 (01-12-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    We've seen at least 20 remakes of this function over the years... Why even bother to review it
    Those were all themes. As mentioned in the article, tapUnlock is designed to work with all themes and sliders and always show the right slider text.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thekirbylover For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (01-12-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have it on my 2009 theme, Akanaz GlassOrb, "TOUCH TO ACTIVATE", and also many other themes has it too

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that once the untethered jb is out we will start seeing cooler themes and tweaks...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

So simple but love it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I like this tweak but it will only work with the stock lock screen (Unless there's a way to theme the button?)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "I like this tweak but it will only work with the stock lock screen (Unless there's a way to theme the button?)"

it's a native button in iOS, therefore if the regular UIButtons are themed (pretty much any decent theme on Cydia) the tap to unlock button will be themed. the point of this is that it's not an image, it's a native UIButton with string text that is static and overlayed on top of the image (just like on the "Cancel" button when you press and hold the power button). This text is taken from the strings that would be shown in place of the slide to unlock text. I'm guessing that if Facebook sent a notification that would normally read "Slide to Reply" the developer has placed specific code to change anytime a notification slider string file says "slide" to "tap". This is why it is different from all of the 100% themed images that have been on Cydia since iOS 2.x days.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

YAWN... Once jailbroken, I won't even HAVE a Slider to look at, but I'll still have tap to unlock....invisibly!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ryaninfg's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have springtomize or androidlock, you can edit the text on the tap bar!

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys just wait for untethered JB and you will start seeing Awesome tweaks again :P

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Guys just wait for untethered JB and you will start seeing Awesome tweaks again :P
    I agree they gonna be all coming out again once the new jailbreak comes out.