+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Liquipel Announces New and Improved Second Iteration of its Watersafe Nanocoating

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Liquipel Announces New and Improved Second Iteration of its Watersafe Nanocoating

Water-resistant nanocoating is something that has been around for quite some time but the Santa Ana-based company, Liquipel, recently debuted an improved version of its material, Liquipel 2.0. The company is boasting saying that the new version is up to 100 times more effective than the watersafe nanocoating that the company originally introduced during CES 2012. The product is designed to protect electronic devices from water damage, adding a vapor-applied water resistant coating that does not compromise the performance of the device.

According to Sam Winkler, Liquipel’s Managing Director, a device that is treated with the new version of Liquipel is able to achieve a water resistance rating of IPX7, which means the device can be submerged in a meter of water for 30 minutes. Although the company didn’t previously offer a warranty for treated electronics along with some users experiencing issues with devices treated with the original Liquipel formula not surviving liquid exposure, the company has changed stances this time around at CES 2013 by announcing its Liquipel Performance Guarantee.

The new warranty, which as of right now only covers U.S. customers (but should be extended to other countries in the future), offers protection from damage due to accidental liquid exposure on Liquipel-treated devices. According to the company:

The coverage excludes intentional submerging of devices in liquid. However, everyday life events that can cause liquid damage will be covered, such as: rain, splashing, sweat, dropping in the sink or toilet and spilled drinks.
    The whole nanocoating idea has also gone portable with the company’s new “Liquipods,” which are 4x4 foot boxes that can be leased by shops who want to offer the Liquipel treatment. According to TechCrunch, Liquipel is also opening its own retail locations beginning with an inaugural store at the West Edmonton Mall in Canada this February. As of right now, Liquipel currently offers an online service, where customers can ship devices to be professionally coated by Liquipel itself at a starting price of $59.

Those of you who are interested can watch a video of Liquipel 2.0 below:

Source: Liquipel via TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought this was very cool when it came out last year, and almost sent my iphone in to get it done. I really struggle though to see at least based on this demo here how version 2 is any different from version 1? I understand the claims, but the demo is identical.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well in the intro he kinda says how version 1 was more for splashes and accidental type stuff, where version 2 you can actually submerge it up to 30 minutes or so?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I really want one of those Liquipods. Couldn't find any info on their site though.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

What a bunch of crap this is. I was at CES last year and the liquipel booth had fish tanks setup with an iPad and a couple iPhones submerged, and they remained turned on and submerged (in about 12 inches of water) the entire time I was on the floor of the show. That means the original formula worked just fine for full submersion. How is this any different? 100 times more effective my eye!
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I thought about getting my iP5 coated too but I thought the price was a little high and I'm pretty good at keeping it away from water.. but accidents do happen. Too bad Apple doesn't do this themselves.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I live in Orange County, Ca and I drove passed there offices they did it for me at the warehouse in Santa Ana.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Copy Cats of "Never Wet"

Thanks

Does this come with the new "poop protection" as well? Cause I am always "accidentally" dropping my friend's phone in the toilet...
    The article mentions "...dropping in the sink or toilet and spilled drinks."

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

WAIT!!! Version 3 will be coming out this summer!
    Guaranteed to last 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    What a bunch of crap this is. I was at CES last year and the liquipel booth had fish tanks setup with an iPad and a couple iPhones submerged, and they remained turned on and submerged (in about 12 inches of water) the entire time I was on the floor of the show. That means the original formula worked just fine for full submersion. How is this any different? 100 times more effective my eye!
    The difference is depth. 1 meter is just about 3 times deeper than 12 inches. There is higher pressure the deeper you get so this protects better. Still can't drop it in the deep end of the pool though.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!