+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple’s iPhone 5 and 4 coming to Walmart with No-Contract Straight Talk Prepaid Plans

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple’s iPhone 5 and 4 coming to Walmart with No-Contract Straight Talk Prepaid Plans

Walmart recently announced that it will be selling Apple’s iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 on January 11 with no-contract plans furnished by Straight Talk Wireless priced at $45 per month for unlimited talk, text and data. Although the $45 flat rate pricing is enticing, Walmart’s handset selection will be limited to the 16GB iPhone 5 and 8GB iPhone 4, which are priced at $649 and $449, respectively.

According to Seong Ohm, Senior Vice President of Entertainment of Walmart:

We believe customers shouldn’t have to choose between saving money and having the latest technology. Now customers have the coveted iPhone with unlimited talk, text and data without a contract for $80 a month thanks to our exclusive Straight Talk plan and industry first financing offer.
    Ohm was referring to a financing program aimed at making the high up front hardware cost somewhat digestible. The program, which requires a Walmart Credit Card, allowing customers to pay off their iPhone for $25 a month on top of the $45 unlimited prepaid plan. In addition to the $45 no contract plan, Straight Talk also has a $60 option that adds unlimited international calling to more than 1,000 areas in Mexico, Canada, India and other countries.

The program is said to roll out this Friday at over 2,000 Walmart locations across the U.S. as well as the company’s online store.

Do you or anyone you know plan on taking advantage of the offer?

Source: PR News Wire

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Already ahead of Walmart with my iPhone 5 on Straight talk :P

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

something to think about

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    something to think about
    Well I have a 4S and a 4 on Straight Talk but would be neat to have an Iphone 5 on Straight Talk especially with that financing plan.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Will they finally get Visual Voicemail and MMS on iDevices?

Thanks

What's Straight Talks coverage like?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    You mean Visual Voicemail only since MMS is possible but a pain to activate on Straight Talk with the sim swap trick.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It looks like it- the tutorial is on the website

Quote Originally Posted by Evaded View Post
    Same as you were on postpaid 2yr contract
    Last edited by tihomirbg; 01-08-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What frequency do their data under? Is it compatible with AT&T 4G or LTE?
    They only mention 4G from T-Mobile, don't mention anything about data speed on unlocked AT&T phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evaded View Post
    its good. i use it here in los angeles area and i never have a issue. it uses the att towers.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 564 Posts

Glad to see this..... Especially unlimited data. Hopefully AT&T and Verizon will have unlimited data plans again.

Sounds like a winner to me!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Isn't $35(not $25) a month on top of the $45 for plan is $80.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Straight talk cuts off your data after you use 2 gb, there is something to think about.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

For prepaid, that sounds really good. The only downside would possibly be coverage.

Thanks

Yes, Straight Talk will cut you off at 2 to 2.5 gigs. If you are not a power user then this is a great option. Also Net 10 the parent company of Straight Talk offers family plans like 3 lines for $125 plus sales tax ( no sales tax for some states like CA). The coverage is the same as AT&T as they piggy back on their network (MVNO). There are tutorials to configure MMS features. Apple offers an iPhone configuration program you can download. I currently have a iPhone 4s from Sprint that I used with a Gevey Sim and it works great on Net10 and Straight Talk. My primary use is Net10 as they offer the family plan that Straight Talk does not. Avg speed is 2-3+ mb during the day and 5-6+mb download at night from both providers with 4G on the display here in Miami. They do not offer LTE at the very moment. speed but the 4G speeds I meantioned are far better than Sprints download speeds on their 3G network and you save a lot of $$. Now since Walmart is now selling the iPhone 5 for Straight Talk they may offer LTE on that device with a nano sim. Who knows until after the launch?!
    Last edited by sobeniceguy2; 01-09-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I doubt they will have VM support, but you could always run YouMail or Google Voice for voice mails. MMS does work with TetherMe (jailbroken of course) or sim swap on iPhone 5. I run iPhone 5 on ST for quite sometime now and overall pretty satiafied.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Try Google Voice for VM.
    Thats what I am doing regardless of who your provider is.
    I get text, and email messages with the VM transcribed (not perfectly at times though).

Quote Originally Posted by sobeniceguy2 View Post
    Yes, Straight Talk will cut you off at 2 to 2.5 gigs. If you are not a power user then this is a great option. Also Net 10 the parent company of Straight Talk offers family plans like 3 lines for $125 plus sales tax ( no sales tax for some states like CA). The coverage is the same as AT&T as they piggy back on their network (MVNO). There are tutorials to configure MMS features. Apple offers an iPhone configuration program you can download. I currently have a iPhone 4s from Sprint that I used with a Gevey Sim and it works great on Net10 and Straight Talk. My primary use is Net10 as they offer the family plan that Straight Talk does not. Avg speed is 2-3+ mb during the day and 5-6+mb download at night from both providers with 4G on the display here in Miami. They do not offer LTE at the very moment. speed but the 4G speeds I meantioned are far better than Sprints download speeds on their 3G network and you save a lot of $$. Now since Walmart is now selling the iPhone 5 for Straight Talk they may offer LTE on that device with a nano sim. Who knows until after the launch?!

Im on Verizon with a 4s just got a Gevey card but cant find a sim for it.
    How did you get a sim card for it?

Also where can I find the Apple info you mentioned for MMS?
    I did a search but did not find it on the Apple site.

Thanks
    Last edited by n0m0n; 01-09-2013 at 08:04 AM.
    --
    JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Support P.E.T.A. [PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

Thanks

There's already evidence showing the ST iPhones will be CDMA *only* and will not access LTE (being no LTE provider allows access without a SIM and there's no mention of SIM cards like ST GSM phone tutorials)

http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/t...ropagation=end

So, it's only a good deal if you want limited CDMA coverage, no roaming, and finite 'unlimited' data.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 01-09-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    There's already evidence showing the ST iPhones will be CDMA *only* and will not access LTE (being no LTE provider allows access without a SIM and there's no mention of SIM cards like ST GSM phone tutorials)

Apple iPhone 5 Tutorial

So, it's only a good deal if you want limited CDMA coverage, no roaming, and finite 'unlimited' data.
    So if I get a Straight Talk sim for T-Mobile or ATT wouldn't I be able to insert it into the sim tray and have Straight Talk via the GSM, Voice, SMS, Data?

Every time I think i'm understanding this I read that I might not understand it at all.

Thanks
    --
    JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Support P.E.T.A. [PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

Thanks

From current evidence, signs point to no on VVM, data or MMS. You'll still have to use workarounds to get data to work and MMS and VVM won't work.

These iPhones will be configured OTA just like Sprint and Verizon models are. They don't appear to be at&t-based. That will mean ST BYOD (or Nokia smartphone SIM swap) users will still have to do the dance to get data working correctly.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 01-09-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave