Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Launch Low-cost iPhone Later in 2013

Default Apple to Launch Low-cost iPhone Later in 2013

Image via CNET

Itís not like we havenít heard that Apple had an interest in creating a cheaper iPhone in the past, however the latest buzz from Digitimes is that Apple is in the market for creating a larger iPhone in the later half of 2013 that will cost less for emerging markets, like China.

The cheaper iPhone is expected to sport a bigger display than the iPhone 5 does, one that meets the criteria of around 5 inches, and will also have a much different exterior design than the iPhone 5 or previous iPhones, according to Digitimesí sources:

Some sources claimed that they have seen the sample of the low-cost iPhone, which will come with a larger display, meeting the prevailing trend for the adoption of 5-inch displays for high-end models. They added that the low-priced iPhone will also have a brand new exterior design.
    Apple has proven with the launch of the iPad Mini that they are ready to release lower-cost devices with lower-tier specs than the top-of-the-line model. The iPad Mini only has an A5 chip and doesnít sport a retina display, while the iPad with retina display has the higher pixel density display, as well as an A6X chip, which is much faster according to benchmarks.

Apple also now keeps support for legacy iPhones as a means of offering a cheaper alternative to the latest $199-399 iPhone 5. Right now, potential buyers can obtain the iPhone 4S for only $99, and the iPhone 4 for free with a contract. It would be interesting to see how a larger and newly-designed iPhone would sell compared to these models, as the larger iPhone would have bottle-necked specs that would be similar to these legacy iPhones.

Would you buy a cheaper iPhone that had a larger display?

Sources: Digitimes via MacRumors

No. I love the fact that the iPhone screen is ergonomically designed so that you can operate the entire screen with one hand. Primarily that you can reach the entire screen with your thumb.

I was actually a little disappointed that they made the iph 5 screen larger.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

henftling (01-09-2013), Mrteacup (01-08-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't like how apple is rushing the iPads generations so fast. Like it hasn't been that long since the 3rd came out, and they are starting development for the fifth?

3130 unread emails? Dear god.

Development for new products start before most products are released. It's part of the life cycle of these types of products.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do you remember when you ran with this story last year? And the year before? And the year before? Good times huh?
    Do you also remember that Apple sells iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 still? As do carriers? Oh you do, I see it in the article. They are the low cost iPhone's.

Apple. Thats a very bad idea.

I would actually buy the larger screen iPhone. I am always a generation behind the newest one anyway, usually waiting to buy a used s model 6 months after its release.

I would imagine if the larger screen sells well, then they will use it as a reason to increase the high end iphone's screen size as well, so that they can say that people wanted, without going back on their stance opposing large screens. All this, if it happens.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Once you go Retina, you can't go back. So I'm gonna say NO to a phablet.

I really dunno how to react to this article for a number of reasons:

- Cheaper iPhone that has a larger screen then the High End iPhone? (almost sure this won't be a Retina display due to pricing)
    - Cheaper normally in Apple's Eco System == Smaller. So Larger Screen == Cheaper at Apple, confuses me
    - If the cheaper iPhone is going to have a 5 inch screen, what will the high end model's screen size be?

I just hope that Apple doesn't make the same mistake Samsung, HTC & Motorolla did... which is making a phone with a screen sooo HUGE, that:
    1.) Barely fits in your hands
    2.) Barely fits in your pocket
    3.) People loose your face when you're talking on the phone
    Last edited by Devilish4eveR; 01-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Every year, they say that a budget model is coming out. And it never does.
    Last edited by peacedog; 01-08-2013 at 01:56 PM.

I hope they adopt that real screen in all upcoming iPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
    Every year, they say that a budget model is coming out. And it never does.
    That is true with the iPad as well. Some sources are correct in the fact that something is in development. Sometimes these being developed need to be further refined so they don't make the date the source was told. Doesn't mean that they are wrong.

Also on a side note my Note 2 fits in my pocket pretty easily. Normal pants, nothing baggy.

I really don't understand why people complain about a new product coming out that is different from what you want. The more choices, the better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    3130 unread emails? Dear god.
    Mine is worse. On my iPod Touch there is a glitch that makes it say that I have 4 billion unread emails.

no thanks you, my iPhone 4 can barely handle new games, specially since designers are focusing on games for the iPhone 5, getting one of this cheaper iPhone would be a big step back.

How is this at all logical for apple? The hell? I mean I've seen ridiculous rumors but this makes no sense, iPhone nano made somewhat sense this makes none. This doesn't follow the apple philosophy ever

It follows their philosophy of greed perfectly. lol

Then what would be cost for those mobiles?

Quote Originally Posted by tyroneworster View Post
    Then what would be cost for those mobiles?
    Not big on reading I take it??

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Justahbu For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-09-2013)

Thanks

We went from having to wait upwards of a year or two for the "next thing" to a few months. This cycle cannot possible continue for much longer can it? I mean the upgrades are minimal in my opinion. I didn't even bother getting the iPhone 5 as there is nothing wrong with my 4S. On top of that I know they will drop a 5S in just a few months so why bother? Phones are getting to be like fashionable clothing, only good for and event or two then its time for something new. Guess I'll stick to my 4S and love it :]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast