+ Reply
Page 1 of 12 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak

Everyone is waiting for the same thing: A jailbreak for iOS 6, whether it be on their iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, even the newer iPod touch or iPad. Famous iOS hacker Planetbeing explains on Reddit that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that we shouldn't give up hope:

Quote Originally Posted by Planetbeing
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what all the doom and gloom is about. The fact is, I have an untethered iOS 6.0.2 JB running on my iPhone 5 right now. The reasons it's not released are because 1. releasing it would burn an exploit we want to save for ourselves so we can always get in to look at new firmware and help JB in the future, 2. iOS 6.1 is coming very soon and will likely break a small part of it anyway, there's no point in sacrificing the many bugs it won't break.

Anyway, where there are 4+ bugs (that it took to get this to work), there's gotta be one or two more so while jailbreaking is getting harder, reports of its death are highly exaggerated.

This is not stuff I want to say over Twitter with 140 characters because I'm afraid of starting some sort of riot, but I like the smaller /r/jailbreak community more.
    According to the hacker, he currently has an iOS 6.0.2 untethered jailbreak on his iPhone 5, however he is not releasing it just yet because it contains a valuable exploit that he doesnít want to burn and because iOS 6.1 is just on the horizon and it could break the jailbreak. It would make more sense for the hackers to try and extend their work to the latest operating system anyhow, since many users are probably going to update the day it comes out.

Planetbeing also states that the rants from many about jailbreaking being a thing of the past are greatly exaggerated. It has become much, much harder for the hackers to produce jailbreaks under this higher amount of security that comes with each software update, however it hasnít become impossible.

The best thing we can do as a community is offer positive support to the hackers, be thankful for their work, and to just be patient. Planetbeing is the real deal and he has been behind jailbreaks in the past, so we trust his judgment.

A4 device users that run iOS 6 can jailbreak their devices right now in the tethered state. Old bootrom iPhone 3GS users can jailbreak untethered on iOS 6. If you fall under this category, check out our guide for jailbreaking A4 devices running iOS 6 here.

Sources: Reddit via Andrew Richardson

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Ballistic21 (01-05-2013), Cmds187 (01-05-2013), Jabbacks (01-13-2013), zedbra (01-08-2013)

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,205 Posts

Amen love the dev team keep up the good work guys.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So everyone is still "holding off" because of a pending update. Guess what, there are always pending updates. Keeping it to himself...LOL. In other words, **** all you guys, I have it and you dont...neener neener neener.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GmAz For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 856 Posts

Great news to hear! I knew these guys would find a way to get into iOS 6. After all, the harder it gets to crack into software; the more fun it is for hackers to accept the challenge!

Patience, young padawan....!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

kuanyu (01-06-2013)

Thanks

So, would it be safe to update to 6.0.2? Or should everyone still hold back?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noop View Post
    So, would it be safe to update to 6.0.2? Or should everyone still hold back?
    Planetbeing said on Reddit that his exploits will work with 6.0.1. So, considering that a few people are having problems with 6.0.2 Wifi and battery life, it is probably better to stay in 6.0.1, but you will obviously be able to jailbreak if you're in 6.0.2 too. It's up to you.
    Last edited by xTorch; 01-05-2013 at 11:55 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xTorch For This Useful Post:

kuanyu (01-06-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

why hold back on the jailbreak release? - it'll waste an exploit whenever you release it!
    ill not buy a new iPhone now because there's another one released next month/year/decade that's faster/better/more colorful - oh hang on, that means I'll never buy one because im perpetually waiting for the next one...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiggerbiker For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013), kuanyu (01-06-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple release iOS 6.1 already!

2k1
    Thanks

tempted to just update to 6.0.2 just to see if it help my wifi issue

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    tempted to just update to 6.0.2 just to see if it help my wifi issue
    I did that earlier today before knowing that the jailbreak would work with 6.0.1 too.
    Guess what? Worked perfectly, I can now download apps with normal speed (that was my issue before), and everything else is fine too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So eventually one day Apple will fix all exploits and Jailbreaking will be a thing of the past? I hope they realize that the only reason I and many others have bought the last 3-4 iphones is because of the jailbreak. If I know for sure that the 5S or 6 will be un-exploitable I will probably just go with a Samsung Galaxy 3-4.
    They have to realize just like the Xbox that the Jailbreak is the main reason they sell so many units.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Checksum47 For This Useful Post:

sand_man (01-06-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Checksum47 View Post
    So eventually one day Apple will fix all exploits and Jailbreaking will be a thing of the past? I hope they realize that the only reason I and many others have bought the last 3-4 iphones is because of the jailbreak. If I know for sure that the 5S or 6 will be un-exploitable I will probably just go with a Samsung Galaxy 3-4.
    They have to realize just like the Xbox that the Jailbreak is the main reason they sell so many units.
    They can't really fix all exploits. You see, there are always new functions added every version of iOS, and these new functions come with exploitable bugs, which means that as some bugs get fixed, new ones appear.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to xTorch For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013)

2k1
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xTorch View Post
    I did that earlier today before knowing that the jailbreak would work with 6.0.1 too.
    Guess what? Worked perfectly, I can now download apps with normal speed (that was my issue before), and everything else is fine too.
    my issue im having is wifi just wont stay connected like my 4s is dunno if that will help it out but may give it a try

they will always be flaws in the firmwares and the dev will always find them some may be quicker than others and some may take longer.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 908 Posts

I'm getting the ip5 at end of month
    I'm happy with just normal...but a jailbreak makes my phone a million times better
    But I wonder what if apple hold out on the 6.1 update

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

Checksum, where did you get your numbers from regarding Jailbreaks? I remember seeing something a few months back that the amount of people that jailbreak their iPhones (not sure about other "i" devices) is something like less than 5% of the total amount sold... 5% is FAAAR below a majority of any kind...

You also mention xbox... 99% of people that purchase an xbox do so to play games online, once you mod your xbox it WILL be flagged by microsoft and you will no longer be able to get that console online.
    2012 B8 Audi //S4
    -Cliff
    [CENTER]DISCLAIMER: ASSUME THE ABOVE WAS POSTED AS A SMART A55 COMMENT UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PSYC0TIC ONE For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    He's right burning an exploit weeks before another big update is a waste. I bought a Galaxy S3 to hold me over until the jailbreak is finished. IOS is cleaner and more stable but damn it's night and day on the stuff it does without a root/jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

More nonsense from these "hackers". We'll get a usable untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 a month or two before iOS7 comes out and once again makes JB completely irrelevant once again.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Moreno53 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013)

sLi
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    6.1.0 is currently on its 4th beta, it may go though 1 more, or they may push GM either way, an update in the next few weeks is very likly and defiantly a good call on holding it until 6.1.0 or even 6.1.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSYC0TIC ONE View Post
    Checksum, where did you get your numbers from regarding Jailbreaks? I remember seeing something a few months back that the amount of people that jailbreak their iPhones (not sure about other "i" devices) is something like less than 5% of the total amount sold... 5% is FAAAR below a majority of any kind...

You also mention xbox... 99% of people that purchase an xbox do so to play games online, once you mod your xbox it WILL be flagged by microsoft and you will no longer be able to get that console online.
    I guess I live in an anomaly. Nearly ALL of my friends own a Jailbroken iphone and Nearly ALL of them own a "hacked" or Jailbroken Xbox. I really believe that the 5% number is something put out by companies like Apple and Microsoft to make it appear like no one is really JB'ing their devices...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 856 Posts

I guess I live in an anomaly. Nearly ALL of my friends own a Jailbroken iphone and Nearly ALL of them own a "hacked" or Jailbroken Xbox. I really believe that the 5% number is something put out by companies like Apple and Microsoft to make it appear like no one is really JB'ing their devices...
    I believe the jalibreak numbers came from Saurik, himself. He used his Cydia numbers and compared them to Apple's numbers to create a rough percentage of jailbreak users.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013)