+ Reply
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

While these are true facts I just want to point out they are not updated, mygreatfest was changed to WWJC a couple of years ago, and the "iPhone 5" they are referring to is actually the unreleased (at the time of the article) iPhone 4S, when chronic said they had
    5 user land exploits, remember how everyone thought they would jailbreak the 4S instantly but then remember last year how they admitted when iOS 5 was released they were all patched when it was released? So yes those are real facts and numbers, but with the huge success apple has had selling the 4S and the 5 compared to older iphone releases, a week after the iOS 6 jb is released I would like to see updated stats, as the number would likely be much lower I'm comparison due to the vast amounts of iPhones sold in the past couple of years

Thanks
    Thanked 15,090 Times in 6,938 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    While these are true facts I just want to point out they are not updated, mygreatfest was changed to WWJC a couple of years ago, and the "iPhone 5" they are referring to is actually the unreleased (at the time of the article) iPhone 4S, when chronic said they had
    5 user land exploits, remember how everyone thought they would jailbreak the 4S instantly but then remember last year how they admitted when iOS 5 was released they were all patched when it was released? So yes those are real facts and numbers, but with the huge success apple has had selling the 4S and the 5 compared to older iphone releases, a week after the iOS 6 jb is released I would like to see updated stats, as the number would likely be much lower I'm comparison due to the vast amounts of iPhones sold in the past couple of years
    Yup, it is probably nearer the 6% figure right now, if not a little lower than that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ferris419 View Post
    If only such a small amount 2-5% of iPhone users have a jailbroken device why does apple try so hard to keep the device locked down?!? Why not just let the 5% have it jailbroken. I mean it has to take a lot of time money development etc. to make a more secure iOS. Im not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's statements. Just putting my thoughts out there
    Cuz it's not there ideas and its money leaving their pockets

How can they control the world if they can't control the world!?!?! <- Write that down...it's genius...and you're welcome!!! LOL!
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-07-2013 at 10:44 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ferris419's Avatar
    Thanks

So if a good majority of the people who have an iPhone for the jailbreak can't jailbreak anymore and decide blah apple since I can't have a jailbreak I'm going to android . That's even more money leaving apples pockets . The it's all about money thing doesn't make sense to me .
    Last edited by 2k1; 01-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks

So if a good majority of the people who have an iPhone for the jailbreak can't jailbreak anymore and decide blah apple since I can't have a jailbreak I'm going to android . That's even more money leaving apples pockets . The it's all about money thing doesn't make sense to me .
    Now, this is just my opinion:

Apple prolly isn't worried about people ditching their products if a jailbreak isn't released. I'm not even sure Apple cares that much about our community. The problem is 'control.' They want people to use the product they made the way they want us to use it.

If we buy their product but use non-Apple apps, then they lose a money on that. Granted, its not much money but it reaffirms why they wouldn't want an Open OS. Again...Control!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-07-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Now, this is just my opinion:

Apple prolly isn't worried about people ditching their products if a jailbreak isn't released. I'm not even sure Apple cares that much about our community. The problem is 'control.' They want people to use the product they made the way they want us to use it.

If we buy their product but use non-Apple apps, then they lose a money on that. Granted, its not much money but it reaffirms why they wouldn't want an Open OS. Again...Control!!!
    Now that I completely agree with! But I must say how ridiculously stupid on their part lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ferris419 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-07-2013)

Thanks

Now that I completely agree with! But I must say how ridiculously stupid on their part lol
    Surprisingly, from a business perspective, it's actually incredibly smart, close off your OS to outsiders modifying it making it very hard to pirate (for those that do, I personally don't), Only make available what you decide, do not let other companies use your OS on their devices. Put all that together.
    Your OS + Your device + controlled use = maximized profit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fanboyfanboy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-07-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chula's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    +10000000

Buy a phone for the phone not for the jailbreak.
    U r right but the jailbreak makes it a million times better and if u didn't believe that y r u in a jailbreak forum no offense to u

Thanks

Surprisingly, from a business perspective, it's actually incredibly smart, close off your OS to outsiders modifying it making it very hard to pirate (for those that do, I personally don't), Only make available what you decide, do not let other companies use your OS on their devices. Put all that together.
    I understand but really how much money is apple losing to pirated apps at an average of .99 a piece lol whatever I guess it's smarter to lose the sale of a 700$ phone over $20 worth of apps . It makes complete sense to me. Oh and more than likely those apps that are being pirated the pirate wouldn't have purchased in the first place. Locking it down isn't going to force them into buying the apps lol
    Last edited by ferris419; 01-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
    Useless is right! A non-jailbroken iPhone doesn't make/receive calls. Doesn't send/receive email. Doesn't surf the web. Doesn't function as a GPS. Doesn't take pictures or video? Doesn't stream video. Doesn't txt. The list goes on and on. Oh wait, it does all of that.

I'm anxiously awaiting a jailbreak too because I miss Intelliscreenx X, MyWi and a few others, but I could really care less about theming and some of the other crap that just makes it look pretty and has zero impact on function. I'm really curious what jailbreaking brings to the table that takes an iPhone from "nearly useless" to whatever it is you think a JB iPhone is. Or do you just like to complain?
    its not even the theme'ing, its having full control of your device that you dropped $600 on. Changing cpu speeds to save battery, creating shortcuts for simple toggles, the list goes on. When I say useless i mean when compared to other phones. Every phone can make calls and stuff give me a break.. Not to mention the battery is horrible on the i5. I can flash kernals on android just to get the sleep speeds the way I want, flash radios to improve signal in an area i dont get the greatest reception (my school) the list just continues not to mention having 4 columns is horrible. Theme'ing is the smallest part of jailbreaking/rooting for me. Its not even a complaint its a forum to voice my opinion on where the jailbreak is at. I know most people dont care but you do enough to reply.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dimpoblimpo For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (01-07-2013)

Thanks

All I'm saying is without a jailbreak I'd be bored with my iPhone already and everyone acts like pirated apps are what jailbreaking the iPhone is all about when there's a lot more to it than being able to pirate .99 apps

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

I understand but really how much money is apple losing to pirated apps at an average of .99 a piece lol whatever I guess it's smarter to lose the sale of a 700$ phone over $20 worth of apps . It makes complete sense to me. Oh and more than likely those apps that are being pirated the pirate wouldn't have purchased in the first place. Locking it down isn't going to force them into buying the apps lol
    In my opinion they also lock it down for the reputation... Owning an os that many people can easily pirate is not a good reputation to have... But this is in addition to the market strategy and the profits ( in addition to all the other reasons apple have a closed os )

Actually you forgot: Patent every single thing and every single word and then u get the maximized profit
    Last edited by Faresismail; 01-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks

Derp!
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-07-2013 at 05:12 PM.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Your Hosts file is prolly screwed up because of TinyUmbrella

What kind of computer/software are u using?
    Agree but why don't you make a thread in the correct spot and not in the news thread k thanx.

Back to topic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Agree but why don't you make a thread in the correct spot and not in the news thread k thanx.

Back to topic
    ...and somehow that post was completely removed so I edited mine! LOL!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    You're right, but if you want to have cool features and get more efficient use out of your idevice, then jail breaking is necessary.
    I did in fact want cool features and more efficient use--I switched to Android. I'm always baffled when I read these posts with people crying over not being able to JB. like seriously, if the phone you have don't let you do what you want why do you hold onto it?

Sadly, most of you will never give Android or Windows Phone a fair chance. you're too obsessed with apple even though you admit that its frustratingly locked down and restricted.

All I'm saying is without a jailbreak I'd be bored with my iPhone already and everyone acts like pirated apps are what jailbreaking the iPhone is all about when there's a lot more to it than being able to pirate .99 apps
    enlighten us then, why do YOU jailbreak?

Quote Originally Posted by Chula View Post
    U r right but the jailbreak makes it a million times better and if u didn't believe that y r u in a jailbreak forum no offense to u
    If you have to hack it to make it work better for you then maybe its time to look for something else don't you think?
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 01-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If only such a small amount 2-5% of iPhone users have a jailbroken device why does apple try so hard to keep the device locked down?!? Why not just let the 5% have it jailbroken. I mean it has to take a lot of time money development etc. to make a more secure iOS. Im not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's statements. Just putting my thoughts out there
    They keep the device locked down because an exploit is an exploit. Just think if someone had chosen to use the source code from jailbreak me to gain root access to your phone, instead of jailbreaking it. Apple could care less about jailbreakers. They, are, however concerned about vulnerabilities that can be used to do ANYTHING on your phone.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to spice_weasel For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    Yes, of course, the devs advise jailbreakers not to update. They want as many customers as possible to sell their jailbroken apps to, and as many hits as possible on cydia. It's a business decision. They must not be losing too many JBers so far or the new JB would have been out at 6.0.1. They seem to be holding the new JBs longer each time, probably because of the large JB (by numbers, not %) community, although it is obviously getting harder to JB. If Apple would invoke the SBSettings toggles, including remove background, I probably wouldn't bother JBing even though I also used MyWi on my 4S.
    The people that make the jailbreaks don't benefit monetarily. None of them even sell product on cydia and the jailbreaks are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Chula View Post
    Missed where I said jail breaking had no benefits. My point is, buy an iPhone because you love the iPhone. If you only buy an iPhone because of a jailbreak why would you not buy an android?

Let me guess you feel it doesn't run as smooth and as fluid? Well that's because it's open. That's because android is an OS iPhone is hardware. When an OS is built to work with specific hardware it will always run better.

Additionally ---

Apple will never open up the OS because you start giving access to tweaking core services and one tweak breaks a core service. Now apple has to staff it's "genius" bar to tell you "the software you installed broke this, you will have to restore"

Also opening it up for the masses only provokes malicious activity.

Now having said all that. Do I miss a jailbreak? Yes. Do I wish iOS was more open? Most definitely!!! Do I need to have a jailbreak? Nope.

I use apple products because they run and feel better than any competition in my eyes. Even with the lack of features and customization, it's just flat better
    Last edited by subywrex; 01-07-2013 at 08:03 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i'll upgrade to ip5 once 6.1 is jailbroken

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    The people that make the jailbreaks don't benefit monetarily. None of them even sell product on cydia and the jailbreaks are free.

Missed where I said jail breaking had no benefits. My point is, buy an iPhone because you love the iPhone. If you only buy an iPhone because of a jailbreak why would you not buy an android?

Let me guess you feel it doesn't run as smooth and as fluid? Well that's because it's open. That's because android is an OS iPhone is hardware. When an OS is built to work with specific hardware it will always run better.

Additionally ---

Apple will never open up the OS because you start giving access to tweaking core services and one tweak breaks a core service. Now apple has to staff it's "genius" bar to tell you "the software you installed broke this, you will have to restore"

Also opening it up for the masses only provokes malicious activity.

Now having said all that. Do I miss a jailbreak? Yes. Do I wish iOS was more open? Most definitely!!! Do I need to have a jailbreak? Nope.

I use apple products because they run and feel better than any competition in my eyes. Even with the lack of features and customization, it's just flat better
    I completely agree with you

Now see that's the thing, everyone's like "well it's only $.99 they don't care about that." Look how much the devs would get if everyone donated $1 to a jailbreak, I remember when absinthe was released the first weekend saw like 900,000+ devices jailbroken. That's $900,00+. Now you take say 50% away for those who don't pirate, but those who do generally pirate more than once, so say at minimum you have 450,000 people pirate 6 games at $.99 (even though games are becoming more and more expensive we'll use $.99) you're talking about $2.7 million. Which apples take is 30%. You're talking bout serious amounts of revenue they just lost out on. And you can bet they wouldn't be happy. So yes it does matter when games get pirated, especially with apple having now 40 billion + downloads they do not want to lose any revenue from possibly their biggest revenue generator.
    Last edited by fanboyfanboy; 01-07-2013 at 11:10 PM.

+ Reply
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast