+ Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
OTA has additional securities.
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,815 Times in 6,143 Posts

Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    What is the difference between updating OTA and via computer? Why is it not okay doing it OTA?
    OTA updates solely apply a delta (changes only) patch to the current OS.
    Updates via iTunes replace the entire System (/) partition, but leave the Data (/var/mobile/) partition intact.
    Restores via iTunes replace the entire OS image, including both System and Data.

The more that gets cleanly restored and reimaged, the less likely there are bugs or corruptions left in old OS installs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dimpoblimpo View Post
    camped out on launch and have been iphone user since the silver back 2g but I had to sell my 5 for the nexus, by the time this jailbreak is out the 5s will be out... I respect what these jailbreakers are doing but an iphone without a jailbreak is almost next to useless...

Useless? Lmao yea okay.
    It seems my iPhone can make and receive calls, text, email, play music,games among other things so I would say that is far from "useless".

I lost my JB on my 4 and had to upgrade to iOS 6 and I'm fine with it.
    Yea a jailbreak makes the phone a lot better and fun but its not the end of the world if I don't get a jailbreak again.
    I would just get a S3 or 4 if I wanted to customize my phone so bad!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I would not update.
    If I did update I certainly wouldn't do it OTA.
    No one has mentioned what a nice guy PB is - the only other member of the community that is as nice is MN. Those two just let the crap wash over them. They are far better people than anyone else I know. They are both geniuses and modest with it.
    I have nothing but the utmost respect for them both.
    I couldn't agree more! Those two seem very humble and like they are the kind of guys that use their gifts to help others! Plus, don't these guys usually have their devices
    JB within 24 hours after a new iOS update!

Also, to all you naysayers about iPhones without jailbreaks: I think it's discouraging to hear such entitlement and negativity. I recently updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 6.0.1, not because I grew impatient but because I realized that when I depended on the JB to enjoy my iPhone I really limited the potential of the device. Truth be told, jail breaking is just as important as having cable, it isn't. It's a luxury! It's something to compliment everyday life or purposes of this comment, JB is a compliment to something that is already beautifully designed with the user in mind. Lets be honest, you pay big money for Apple products not because of the JB alone but because the overall experience you have and it just works like it should. If some of you are so easily swayed back to the Droid realm because of not having a JB, maybe the iPhone just isn't for you...

Lastly, somebody made a comment about "DreamJB", whoever was responsible for the "DreamJB" hoax deserves to be punched in the face! Now I get that there are lots of people out there that are misinformed and lack common sense, but messing with people's emotions is wrong even if it is to "teach" a lesson. It ended up disappointing not only the uninformed but those of us who try to keep an open ear and use good judgment before downloading anything at all.

Just my thoughts! Free of charge

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    That aint good then

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    OTA updates solely apply a delta (changes only) patch to the current OS.
    Updates via iTunes replace the entire System (/) partition, but leave the Data (/var/mobile/) partition intact.
    Restores via iTunes replace the entire OS image, including both System and Data.

The more that gets cleanly restored and reimaged, the less likely there are bugs or corruptions left in old OS installs.
    I will update to 6.0.1 via computer rather than OTA.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dimpoblimpo View Post
    I respect what these jailbreakers are doing but an iphone without a jailbreak is almost next to useless...
    Useless is right! A non-jailbroken iPhone doesn't make/receive calls. Doesn't send/receive email. Doesn't surf the web. Doesn't function as a GPS. Doesn't take pictures or video? Doesn't stream video. Doesn't txt. The list goes on and on. Oh wait, it does all of that.

I'm anxiously awaiting a jailbreak too because I miss Intelliscreenx X, MyWi and a few others, but I could really care less about theming and some of the other crap that just makes it look pretty and has zero impact on function. I'm really curious what jailbreaking brings to the table that takes an iPhone from "nearly useless" to whatever it is you think a JB iPhone is. Or do you just like to complain?

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyrocket View Post
    Useless? Lmao yea okay.
    It seems my iPhone can make and receive calls, text, email, play music,games among other things so I would say that is far from "useless".

I lost my JB on my 4 and had to upgrade to iOS 6 and I'm fine with it.
    Yea a jailbreak makes the phone a lot better and fun but its not the end of the world if I don't get a jailbreak again.
    I would just get a S3 or 4 if I wanted to customize my phone so bad!
    I completely agree, apple designed iOS to be simple yet elegant. Which is does perfectly, most people's lives are hectic and have a lot going on, they don't have time to spend days on end tweaking and customizing their phone. (Which multiple of my android friends have done.) I jailbroke 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 the day they were released. And updated to iOS 6 the day it was released. It was nice to have quick customized functions (Infinifolders sbsettings etc) but it's not a necessity. I love standard iOS. Jailbreaking is something extra do mess around with when you have some downtime. I think if you need to customize an iPhone and can only have one if its jailbroken, an iPhone is not for you, that's android.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    6.0.2 sux battery life...
    U can update either way, though!
    I'm afraid if I stay on 6.0 that it's not exploitable and that if I don't update to 6.0.2 and Apple has inadvertently patched bugs needed for the jailbreak in 6.1 that the hackers would have no reason to withhold the jailbreak for iOS 6.0.2 and would then go ahead and release it, leaving me stuck not able to jailbreak. I wish I knew if 6.0 had the same exploits available to it as 6.0.2. I'd rather not decrease the battery life of my iPhone 5. It's bad enough already! I also don't want to miss the signing window for 6.0.2 in case I need it to JB. Can I save my SHSH blobs for 6.0.2 somehow without updating? I didn't think TinyUmbrella could do it anymore?

EDIT: After reading some other comments I am just going to update to iOS 6.0.2 via iTunes on my PC. Lexington just got LTE a couple weeks ago and I'm getting like 13/9 and had wifi issues with my 5 from the get-go necessitating an upgrade to a more powerful router that had stronger signal penetration (ASUS Dark Knight). Even if 6.0 is jailbroken I would continue to miss out on faster network speeds IMO. I'll just do the update and hope for the best.
    Last edited by bencjedi; 01-06-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
    I'm afraid if I stay on 6.0 that it's not exploitable and that if I don't update to 6.0.2 and Apple has inadvertently patched bugs needed for the jailbreak in 6.1 that the hackers would have no reason to withhold the jailbreak for iOS 6.0.2 and would then go ahead and release it, leaving me stuck not able to jailbreak. I wish I knew if 6.0 had the same exploits available to it as 6.0.2. I'd rather not decrease the battery life of my iPhone 5. It's bad enough already! I also don't want to miss the signing window for 6.0.2 in case I need it to JB. Can I save my SHSH blobs for 6.0.2 somehow without updating? I didn't think TinyUmbrella could do it anymore?

EDIT: After reading some other comments I am just going to update to iOS 6.0.2 via iTunes on my PC. Lexington just got LTE a couple weeks ago and I'm getting like 13/9 and had wifi issues with my 5 from the get-go necessitating an upgrade to a more powerful router that had stronger signal penetration (ASUS Dark Knight). Even if 6.0 is jailbroken I would continue to miss out on faster network speeds IMO. I'll just do the update and hope for the best.
    More likely than not the jailbreak will be released working on an apple signed firmware (ie 6.1).

Always update at your own risk. And I have done OTA updates and have had no issues at all. My battery lasts 8 hours of usage just fine.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    More likely than not the jailbreak will be released working on an apple signed firmware (ie 6.1).

Always update at your own risk. And I have done OTA updates and have had no issues at all. My battery lasts 8 hours of usage just fine.
    Thanks! I just tried to update in iTunes (latest version) and it failed. Hmmm.. I'll reboot both iPhone and PC and try again.

EDIT: It was error 3194. I checked my hosts file and gs.apple.com was pointed to Cydia's IP. Oops.
    Last edited by bencjedi; 01-06-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks

"what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Lmao in all seriousness. What you said was all over the place. Having more holes makes jail breaking worse? iOS isn't user friendly?

Umm
    Sorry for my bad English

Green Apple
    Thanks

Updated to 6.0.2

I have a curiosity though... I have a numeric WIFI signal strength indicator on my status bar that I turned on through SB Settings back on my iPhone 4 that I sold. When I got my iPhone 5 I did a restoration of my backup in iTunes and somehow that setting was saved, but I don't see where to turn it off in the settings. Can someone point out there that actual setting is in the Settings app or did that little jailbreak tweak persist somehow through my backup? If so it seems that's a possible way to get some customization in a non-jailbroken device.. somehow introduce it through your backup in iTunes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
    If so it seems that's a possible way to get some customization in a non-jailbroken device.. somehow introduce it through your backup in iTunes.
    Status bar changes are restored with the backup.

But restoring a backup made on an iP4 onto an iP5? Not something I'd ever do. Most problems (such as poor battery life etc) can be traced back to restoring data - on the same device it can cause problems, on a different type of device the problems are multiplied.

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    What is the difference between updating OTA and via computer? Why is it not okay doing it OTA?
    From the blog:

Quote Originally Posted by DevTeam Blog
    2. You DO NOT QUALIFY for iOS5-to-iOS5 restores if you got to your current 5.x via an OTA update

the tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images*
    even if they did, it’s the “wrong kind” of ramdisk (you’d need to start at that earlier pre-OTA FW)
    devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)
    it’s okay if you previously got to 5.x via an OTA update, as long as your current 5.x was installed via a normal iTunes restore. *All that matters is how you got to your current 5.x most recently
    redsn0w detects an OTA/normal-restore APticket mismatch very early, so if you don’t know your status there should be no harm in trying. *Any device in recovery mode after such a mismatch can boot normally again just by going back to “Even More” screen from the “Restore” screen (or use “Recovery Fix” if you quit redsn0w before doing that).
    Last edited by confucious; 01-06-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had to update to 6.0.2 because of the wifi issues. It works perfectly now and no problems with dropping wifi.
    Anyway, I'm glad to hear this news and hopefully when 6.1 comes out, and all of the problems solved, the jailbreakers will have a public release for us all. I miss all the good stuff that Cydia has, and all of the tweaks and useful stuff like BiteSMS and especially SBSettings (which should be in stock iOS). That is a must for any iPhone user. Using a stock iPhone 5 is no fun, even with all of the performance enhancements and bigger screen. I especially miss User Agent Faker and AdBlocker. You are forced on mobile sites with iPhone 5, and all kinds of popups and forced scrolled ads. I miss using the real web. I didn't pirate ads since most of the prices are so low. BUT I bought a lot of stuff from Cydia, and it was very useful. It brings out the best in your device!

Keep up the good work, and hopefully it will come in the near future. I haven't given up hope yet!

Thanks

Do you think this jailbreak will be for the iphone 4s?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alexdakidd View Post
    Do you think this jailbreak will be for the iphone 4s?
    They will make the jalibreak for all devices

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,815 Times in 6,143 Posts

The issues with OTA are usually if you do a re-restore to say 5.1.1, it has prohibited many people from doing it on here and as stated by redsn0w.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks
    Yeah!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I completely agree, apple designed iOS to be simple yet elegant. Which is does perfectly, most people's lives are hectic and have a lot going on, they don't have time to spend days on end tweaking and customizing their phone. (Which multiple of my android friends have done.) I jailbroke 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 the day they were released. And updated to iOS 6 the day it was released. It was nice to have quick customized functions (Infinifolders sbsettings etc) but it's not a necessity. I love standard iOS. Jailbreaking is something extra do mess around with when you have some downtime. I think if you need to customize an iPhone and can only have one if its jailbroken, an iPhone is not for you, that's android.
    Quite right. jailbreaking is very bad. I once had a jailbroken iPhone and got a particularly nasty virus that wiped out the hard drive on my Windows PC the same week my wife drive her car into a tree. Coincidence? I think not. Now I have a non-jailbroken iPhone and have no more problems.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimCook View Post
    Quite right. jailbreaking is very bad. I once had a jailbroken iPhone and got a particularly nasty virus that wiped out the hard drive on my Windows PC the same week my wife drive her car into a tree. Coincidence? I think not. Now I have a non-jailbroken iPhone and have no more problems.
    I think you missed my point... Jail breaking is not bad, I love doing it, but it's not a necessity, I said you should buy an iOS device if you love iOS, not if you love a jailbroken iOS and can't have one without it.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast