+ Reply
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by thazsar Sorry Destiny, but I agree w/ the others. I have first hand experience w/ Backups carrying over problems prior to restoring. I do a lot of
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,531 Times in 4,320 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Sorry Destiny, but I agree w/ the others. I have first hand experience w/ Backups carrying over problems prior to restoring.

I do a lot of unconventional tweaking just to see what it'll do to my phones. I usually backup the device and try something new OR I will troubleshoot something I've already ruined! LOL! Anyways, if I restore from the backup, it'll carry over these files even though they aren't (technically) Apple files.

I even noticed that Apple backs up more files than they used to. I tested this by clean restoring my phone, jailbreaking it, restoring from my backup, then installing iFile. In iFile, I could look up files that shouldn't have been there BUT since I backed the phone up, Apple allowed them to be reinstalled.

Secondly, my wife's phone has had certain issues I could not resolve despite constant restorations. When I finally did a clean restore, the issues went away. Therefore, her backups from all way the back to 3.1.2 were transferring files that 4.x and 5.x didn't like.

Again...I heavily tweaked her filesystem which used to not be an issue until Apple started backing up more files than they used to. At some point, it saved files that were causing a problem and I couldn't remove it w/ a regular restore from backup.

Hope that clears things up. You've just been lucky or haven't done major file editing but I assure you that if you did manually edit your filesystem, created a problem and then restored from a backup, you'd see similar issues.
    99% of people don't do major file editing of their main Apple system. I don't think it's good advice to tell people that restore from backup can cause problems on a 'general basis'. That's just a myth.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,845 Times in 6,895 Posts

Lol, you and your percentages

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,412 Times in 6,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    99% of people don't do major file editing of their main Apple system. I don't think it's good advice to tell people that restore from backup can cause problems on a 'general basis'. That's just a myth.
    Please stop saying its a myth when it is not. Unless you are calling Simon and I liars. When you troubleshoot problems you try and eliminate potential issues. Restoring from a backup can cause a potential issue. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I would love to know where you get your percentages too. I've never received a questionnaire from you??? Please, don't speak for everyone out there. We are giving the best advice to solve someone's problem. Unless you have absolute proof, and I mean solid evidence, then just let us help people. You did not write the iTunes software so how on earth can you say with 100% certainty that there is not a bug in their program? We know that there are bugs in their iOS, so why is it so hard for you to accept.

I've never seen a billion dollars in front of me, but I do know it exists. Learn to trust others occasionally, and just be grateful that you haven't run into issues that others have.

Man I wish I could live in your world of definitive absolutes, but unfortunately I live in the real world where you know what, sometimes sh** just happens.

Peace out bro!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Restoring from a backup made in a previous major version of iOS often causes problems with battery life. A clean install, reinstall all your apps and synch your contacts, pics etc and you should find it improves.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

You are correct but if you jailbreak, you run more of a risk for attaining files that aren't stable. That being said, let me elaborate a bit more on my wife's issues w/ her phone.

I performed several clean restores and then restored from backup. I even had her use her phone w/out a jailbreak on numerous occasions to see if the problem still persisted. Because the problems continued to occur despite all my attempts to fix it, a clean restore w/ a clean install of everything finally fixed the problem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-14-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    You are correct but if you jailbreak, you run more of a risk for attaining files that aren't stable. That being said, let me elaborate a bit more on my wife's issues w/ her phone.

I performed several clean restores and then restored from backup. I even had her use her phone w/out a jailbreak on numerous occasions to see if the problem still persisted. Because the problems continued to occur despite all my attempts to fix it, a clean restore w/ a clean install of everything finally fixed the problem.
    Wow.. Understood. I'm just saying that what you're describing is so rare on an unjailbroken phone.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Wow.. Understood. I'm just saying that what you're describing is so rare on an unjailbroken phone.
    I can agree w/ that!

Green Apple
    Thanks

How did u go back to 6.0.1 that makes no sense... And I'm on 6.0 should I go to 6.0.2 while I still can on my iPhone 5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlevine54 View Post
    How did u go back to 6.0.1 that makes no sense...
    Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by mlevine54 View Post
    And I'm on 6.0 should I go to 6.0.2 while I still can on my iPhone 5
    Are you having issues with your phone currently?
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

Thanks

I restored with fresh and new not from backup And it's a smoother running device it seems. the battery life has greatly been increased👌thanks for the tip

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anig For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,307 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Why?
    Well IMO from why ive read into from PlanetBeing's comments is that with PB being on 6.0.2 Untethered as he says and if he can't JB 6.1 or the bugs that he has used in 6.0.2 are fixed he tweeted he may go against the tradition of releasing a JB for an unsigned Firmware and release a JB. So instead of missing the opportunity of the 6.0.2 signing window I have updated and have had no issues. If they do manage to JB 6.1 I'll update to that...just my thoughts on keeping within the reach of a possible JB for the i5 on iOS 6.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Well IMO from why ive read into from PlanetBeing's comments is that with PB being on 6.0.2 Untethered as he says and if he can't JB 6.1 or the bugs that he has used in 6.0.2 are fixed he tweeted he may go against the tradition of releasing a JB for an unsigned Firmware and release a JB. So instead of missing the opportunity of the 6.0.2 signing window I have updated and have had no issues. If they do manage to JB 6.1 I'll update to that...just my thoughts on keeping within the reach of a possible JB for the i5 on iOS 6.
    remember that 6.0.2 is only for iPh5 and iPad mini. if they were to just release it for 6.0.2 then that would leave a lot of devices / people out of having a JB. But at this point, it is anybody's guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,307 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    remember that 6.0.2 is only for iPh5 and iPad mini. if they were to just release it for 6.0.2 then that would leave a lot of devices / people out of having a JB. But at this point, it is anybody's guess.
    Yuh bit like a $500 Million lottery!! Just my thoughts on trying to read thru the lines of all the info out there!!
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

To each his own bro. If you notice, most of the veteran experienced peeps around here always recommend to set up as new. Always your best bet if you are restoring because of some unknown issue.
    Depends. If I'm jailbroken, I typically restore as new. As some jailbreak stuff lingers and don't like that. But if I'm stock I see no issue with restoring from back up.

As a system admin I would hope you have images to reinstall from to save yourself a ton of time.

Anytime I'm going to jailbreak I will restore as new and get all my settings and AppStore apps dialed in. Then I will back up. That way if I restore in the future I can restore from my clean back up and not have to worry about setting up apps and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    lol, you and your percentages
    lmao!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by subywrex; 01-14-2013 at 10:59 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-14-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Depends. If I'm jailbroken, I typically restore as new. As some jailbreak stuff lingers and don't like that. But if I'm stock I see no issue with restoring from back up.

As a system admin I would hope you have images to reinstall from to save yourself a ton of time.

Anytime I'm going to jailbreak I will restore as new and get all my settings and AppStore apps dialed in. Then I will back up. That way if I restore in the future I can restore from my clean back up and not have to worry about setting up apps and stuff
    I agree 100% bro.

If you are not jailbroken and you are restoring to the same major iOS, then from a backup makes perfect sense.

I always have image files, but they are typically a fresh OS and a core of software that saves me a half a days work.

I also agree with your theory of doing a restore from backup prior to a jailbreak. The problem is that most don't think like we do

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

I agree 100% bro.

If you are not jailbroken and you are restoring to the same major iOS, then from a backup makes perfect sense.

I always have image files, but they are typically a fresh OS and a core of software that saves me a half a days work.

I also agree with your theory of doing a restore from backup prior to a jailbreak. The problem is that most don't think like we do
    👊✊✌

Actually id say the one thing I like about being stock is the ability to restore from backups haha. Cause I refuse to back up and restore when I'm JB.

Just wish I could only back up SMS and nothing else lol

20. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-15-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Whatever the case may be, I had already made the transition to Android (Note2). I can honestly say that this is one of the best decisions I made in my life. And this is coming from a guy whos had an iPhone all his life. Looks like Apple is getting smarter with their sh*t.

Thanks

Must be working out really nice for you, except I see that you are still trolling the iPhone forums.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    I thought this is how everyone would be thinking. I always have a copy, in my backup library (which can be chosen later even when stock) of just apps,system, camera roll and email accounts (texting conversations) that I can easily go back to when I need to restore that would never have a single glitch that could bite me in the azz.

I actually use the exact process when JB'en with PKGBackUp. I have a PKGBackUp restore (image) of all my basic proven tweaks (Gridlock, Infinidock. etc. etc) that I can restore to my JB'en phone immediately after a stock restore and re-jailbreak. Saves a LOT of time. And you can be 100% sure that there's nothing you're reloading onto your phone that could be a problem. I just can't understand why anyone would would restore as 'new' and take all that time to reload EVERYTHING stock, jailbreak and reloading EVERYthing from Cydia. What a time consuming project and a terrible waste of time. Help yourselves, people! Make interim backups! ;-)

Grant

PS - I never save themes in a PKGBackUp image - they take forever to redownload to phone and also can contain problem material. Themes are always saved on my computer and I add them in 1 at a time after the other steps I mention above.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-15-2013 at 07:14 AM.

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidrobot714 View Post
    Whatever the case may be, I had already made the transition to Android (Note2). I can honestly say that this is one of the best decisions I made in my life. And this is coming from a guy whos had an iPhone all his life. Looks like Apple is getting smarter with their sh*t.
    Hey bro im seriously thinking about going with note 2... So can u please trll me hows the battery i hear its terrible :/