Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak

I never do a restore from back up and I never have these issues. Always setup as new, the extra time is well worth it.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    I never do a restore from back up and I never have these issues. Always setup as new, the extra time is well worth it.
    I've never used anything BUT Restore From BackUp and have never had problems. Restore only works with Apple packages which are 100% stable - never anything to worry about.

Now the same can't be said of PKGBackup. That could reinstall bad Cydia tweaks.. But a simple iTunes Restore from BackUp can't hurt anything, King.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

To each his own bro. If you notice, most of the veteran experienced peeps around here always recommend to set up as new. Always your best bet if you are restoring because of some unknown issue.

To each his own bro. If you notice, most of the veteran experienced peeps around here always recommend to set up as new. Always your best bet if you are restoring because of some unknown issue.
    Your general rule of thumb is pretty good - and I always wondered why people I respected here would say that. Then I went on a research mission and discovered that there's no real basis for the fear of an iTunes restore. None of any kind. Facts are very cool things - they're more solid than perceptions and fears. Not trying to be an azz again, really, but I live by a simple credo - "pursue facts and live by what they tell you".. With as much great information there is in abundance here - there's also a lot of misinformation.. The fear of Restore From Backup is one of the 'few' total myths that have been propagated in forumland.

I think well-meaning modders have just been trying to help people get out of problem situations. But the 'restore from backup causes problems' concern is just a myth.

Like I said to each his own. I was a system admin for many years and have always avoided backups as opposed to fresh installs. If there was a small glitch during the initial install then you have just copied it to your restore. Again, you cannot say with 100% certainty that a restore from backup is the exact same as a fresh install. Software is a funny thing, and sometimes the order in which you install certain items can have different effects. That's just my old school ways. iTunes backup is to help the masses that don't know or care how to do stuff. I'm not one of their sheep.

No offense to you bro, but you have had many issues in the past with things not working correctly that I have never had.

No software is 100% full proof. If that were a fact, then there wouldn't be any jailbreaks ever.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 01-13-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Like I said to each his own. I was a system admin for many years and have always avoided backups as opposed to fresh installs. If there was a small glitch during the initial install then you have just copied it to your restore. Again, you cannot say with 100% certainty that a restore from backup is the exact same as a fresh install. Software is a funny thing, and sometimes the order in which you install certain items can have different effects. That's just my old school ways. iTunes backup is to help the masses that don't know or care how to do stuff. I'm not one of their sheep.
    Well even though half of what you said there is another topic all together -- That doesn't change the facts, King. Apple products don't have glitches. Only our Cydia tweaks can.

No offense to you bro, but you have had many issues in the past with things not working correctly that I have never had.
    Try to tell the story correctly, King. The problems I've had have only ever been with Cydia stuff. Apple stuff is rock stable. But to your general point, I agree that a PKGBackup type of Cydia tweaks can upon restore cause lots of troubles. One should always reinstall all tweaks. 100% agreed.

This is not an 'each to his own' subjective thing. Restore from Backup never causes instability - ever. Give up the myth. You're smarter than this, dude.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-13-2013 at 08:35 PM.

I can't believe that you say that apple products are rock solid. If that is true, how do you explain jail breaking?????

Why do they put out updates???

This is by far the silliest thing that you've ever said. Apple doesn't write all the apps in the app store. And even if they did, there would still be errors.

I am smarter than that. I know for a 100% fact that no software is rock solid. There are always exploits and errors. It is written by humans. Come on Grant you know better than that.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

I don't see any facts...
    I restore from backup most of the time, but whenever I feel a fresh restore is needed I do setup as new and manually put everything back. It makes a difference. From iPhones to Macs to Windows. Restoring a backup always has the potential to bring back any problems or slowdowns that were previously experienced. That goes double for a backup from a jailbroken device. And I'm not talking about pkgbackup.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-13-2013)

I can't believe that you say that apple products are rock solid. If that is true, how do you explain jail breaking?????

Why do they put out updates???

This is by far the silliest thing that you've ever said. Apple doesn't write all the apps in the app store. And even if they did, there would still be errors.

I am smarter than that. I know for a 100% fact that no software is rock solid. There are always exploits and errors. It is written by humans. Come on Grant you know better than that.
    You knew what I meant, King. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I don't see any facts...
    I restore from backup most of the time, but whenever I feel a fresh restore is needed I do setup as new and manually put everything back. It makes a difference. From iPhones to Macs to Windows. Restoring a backup always has the potential to bring back any problems or slowdowns that were previously experienced. That goes double for a backup from a jailbroken device. And I'm not talking about pkgbackup.
    You ALSO knew what I meant, Simon. Restore From Backup is 100% safe.

No Grant. When software is involved there has never been and in my lifetime there will never be 100% safe.

No Grant. When software is involved there has never been and in my lifetime there will never be 100% safe.
    Of course not. And that's entirely beside the point. The issue is that it's a myth that you're safer restoring as a new phone and reinstalling the 'exact same' apps from the store. If there's a problem with the app - you'd have the same exact problem with it installed fresh or restored from a backup. Don't be obtuse, King.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    You ALSO knew what I meant, Simon. Restore From Backup is 100% safe.
    Restoring from backup is not 100% safe at all. I have worked on more iPhones than I can remember, problems can come from restoring a backup, I have seen it many times. Sometimes resetting settings can fix the problem, sometimes a restore and setup as new is needed. I'm not saying restoring from backup will cause problems mind you, as I said I do it all the time. But I am not ignorant to the fact that a backup can cause issues.

Restoring from backup is not 100% safe at all. I have worked on more iPhones than I can remember, problems can come from restoring a backup, I have seen it many times. Sometimes resetting settings can fix the problem, sometimes a restore and setup as new is needed. I'm not saying restoring from backup will cause problems mind you, as I said I do it all the time. But I am not ignorant to the fact that a backup can cause issues.
    Sorry to disagree, Simon.

But I also respect your experience. Are you trying to say that you've had a % of issues on a restore from back up that is something more substantial than 'infinitesimal' ?

Thanks

Sorry to disagree, Simon. But I respect your experience. Are you trying to say that you've had a % of issues on a restore from back up that is something more substantial than 'infinitesimal' ?
    In my experience, yes, I have seen it happen. Not very often, but not infinitesimal. I'd estimate around 5% (I know you enjoy your percentages ) of the phones I have worked on have shown issues related to restoring from a backup. Which is why I have no issues suggesting to someone on here that restoring from a backup is generally fine, but has the possibility of causing an issue.

I have seen an iPhone 5 that I was setting up have an issue with a backup recently. Restored the backup on a computer that the persons apps/music were not on. So I attempted to restore the same backup but on the computer that his stuff was on. The phone didn't like that very much and got stuck in boot loop after the second restore from backup. So I had to restore. I would have thought Apple would account for trying to restore a backup twice to the same phone, but I guess they can't always be perfect

In my experience, yes, I have seen it happen. Not very often, but not infinitesimal. I'd estimate around 5% (I know you enjoy your percentages ) of the phones I have worked on have shown issues related to restoring from a backup. Which is why I have no issues suggesting to someone on here that restoring from a backup is generally fine, but has the possibility of causing an issue.
    Thanks. I've done at least 30-40 of my own restores and at least that many for friends. And have never had even one case of a problem with a simple iTunes restore from Backup. My point in this whole debate was that the very first piece of advice someone on ModMyi gives a person who's having trouble is to restore as a new phone. That is just simply bad and incomplete advice. And so damned time-consuming for no good reason in 95-99% of cases even using an average of yours and my %es.

Thanks

I wouldn't call it bad advise at all. I'd call it safe advise. Not that I always play it safe

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-13-2013)

I wouldn't call it bad advise at all. I'd call it safe advise. Not that I always play it safe
    Lol! Understood. It's just a waste of time for so many who still end up with the problem after a half day's worth of work redownloading everything.

It's only a waste of time if it didn't help. But it does rule out the possibility that it was a faulty backup. Plus they are now working on a clean install instead of an unknown issue.

It's only a waste of time if it didn't help. But it does rule out the possibility that it was a faulty backup. Plus they are now working on a clean install instead of an unknown issue.
    Fair enuff, King.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,388 Posts

Thanks. I've done at least 30-40 of my own restores and at least that many for friends. And have never had even one case of a problem with a simple iTunes restore from Backup. My point in this whole debate was that the very first piece of advice someone on ModMyi gives a person who's having trouble is to restore as a new phone. That is just simply bad and incomplete advice. And so damned time-consuming for no good reason in 95-99% of cases even using an average of yours and my %es.
    Sorry Destiny, but I agree w/ the others. I have first hand experience w/ Backups carrying over problems prior to restoring.

I do a lot of unconventional tweaking just to see what it'll do to my phones. I usually backup the device and try something new OR I will troubleshoot something I've already ruined! LOL! Anyways, if I restore from the backup, it'll carry over these files even though they aren't (technically) Apple files.

I even noticed that Apple backs up more files than they used to. I tested this by clean restoring my phone, jailbreaking it, restoring from my backup, then installing iFile. In iFile, I could look up files that shouldn't have been there BUT since I backed the phone up, Apple allowed them to be reinstalled.

Secondly, my wife's phone has had certain issues I could not resolve despite constant restorations. When I finally did a clean restore, the issues went away. Therefore, her backups from all way the back to 3.1.2 were transferring files that 4.x and 5.x didn't like.

Again...I heavily tweaked her filesystem which used to not be an issue until Apple started backing up more files than they used to. At some point, it saved files that were causing a problem and I couldn't remove it w/ a regular restore from backup.

Hope that clears things up. You've just been lucky or haven't done major file editing but I assure you that if you did manually edit your filesystem, created a problem and then restored from a backup, you'd see similar issues.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-13-2013)

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast