Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Rumored to be Considering New "Touch-On Display" for Next-Gen iPhone

Thanks

Default Apple Rumored to be Considering New "Touch-On Display" for Next-Gen iPhone

According to a new report from The China Times, Apple seems to be considering a new display technology, dubbed “touch-on,” for use in its next-generation iPhone to address issues with the current “in-cell” display found in the iPhone 5. The Cupertino California company has reportedly contracted with Chimei Innolux, Taiwan’s largest LCD maker, for the next-generation panels. Apple’s interest in the display technology was prompted by alleged “interference problems”

For those of you who are unaware, the iPhone 5 marked the debut of new touchscreen technology in Apple’s smartphone in the form of in-cell touch panels. This allowed for a thinner design by combining the touch sensor and display into one component. Rumors of Apple’s adoption of in-cell panels swirled in the company’s overseas supply chain for months, which proved to be true when the iPhone 5 was released. Shortly after, an issue arose with the iPhone 5 display in which the screen pauses or seemingly ignores touch input. The problem can be seen by rapidly swiping back and forth diagonally on the touchscreen on the iPhone 5, while previous iPhone models aren’t affected by the issue.

Initial reports suggested that the iPhone 5 scrolling “glitch” was in fact a hardware issue related to the new iPhone 5 in-cell touch panel. The recent report from The China Times supports the same conclusion, explaining that the technology has embedded the TFT touch panel and touch sensors on the same side, resulting in interference. The report also reiterates the earlier reports that claimed production issues with the in-cell technology led to supply constraints of the iPhone 5 at launch. The “touch-on display” technology from Chimei Innolux on the other hand is said to be both thin and durable while offering better touch sensing capabilities.

The only way we’ll find out if the report has any valid information is when Apple releases some concrete information, which is unlikely to happen for quite some time.

Source: The China Times via AppAdvice

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

waiting for iPhone 5S

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

I knew it! Many frustrated swipes from time to time and it just seems to ignore input when it feels like it. Still love my 5, but games like vice city or black ops zombies would be more frustrating than fun. I personally prefer a console for those type of games anyway.

Maybe it will be called the iPhone 5TO.

Can you imagine Jobs letting this happen back in the day ?
    Whatever happened to "It just works" ?

Core Apple has probably been dying since Jobs got really ill.
    The old master is gone and we're just left with whatever the legacy is good for.

Default Jobs= hero?
    Pretty sure jobs was alive when the antenna problem was developed

Quote Originally Posted by avocadobaby View Post
    Pretty sure jobs was alive when the antenna problem was developed
    Yeah, but probably post-diagnosis and pre-occupied with health concerns and thoughts of impending mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    waiting for iPhone 5S
    This. Even though there still isn't a jailbreak for the lastest models, I would sacrifice even if it was released before the next iteration of the iPhone. This isn't because I never wanted the 5 but because I haven't been in the position to purchase it until recently and I feel that it's too late in the life cycle and I don't want to purchase something knowing that it won't be long until they release "the next big thing".

Quote Originally Posted by RokeSmoreMeefer View Post
    Maybe it will be called the iPhone 5TO.
    I'm assuming the "TO" stands for Touch-On, but I sincerely hope that's not their choice. I know you're not serious because that wouldn't follow Apple's pattern for naming their products but I'm just saying that sounds horrible.
    Last edited by blakwidowstang; 01-03-2013 at 08:41 PM.

hopefully the 5S will have it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
    Can you imagine Jobs letting this happen back in the day ?
    Whatever happened to "It just works" ?

Core Apple has probably been dying since Jobs got really ill.
    The old master is gone and we're just left with whatever the legacy is good for.
    I am so sick of these types of mod edit statements. EVERY device apple puts out has some glitches in it's maturing state. EVERY device. Even when the mighty steve was still here and warm. So get off it, the man obviously wasn't a god because he's dead.
    Last edited by 2k1; 01-04-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    the man obviously wasn't a god because he's dead.
    Is that a statement or a question ?

By the existence of the period, and lack of a question mark, I am gonna say it was a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Own3d View Post
    By the existence of the period, and lack of a question mark, I am gonna say it was a statement.
    Mine was a question (rhetorical).

Thanks

No offense but who cares what its called. Not even important. Lets hope the maps are right by then, lets hope a JB is finally out by then, every model since iPhone 1 has had issues..this one is not special in the fact that it too has issues. If tech was perfect we'd all still be using the 1st iPhone haha!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    No offense but who cares what its called. Not even important. Lets hope the maps are right by then, lets hope a JB is finally out by then, every model since iPhone 1 has had issues..this one is not special in the fact that it too has issues. If tech was perfect we'd all still be using the 1st iPhone haha!
    I don't wanna argue with you (you seem like a decent guy to me) BUT - and this is just as much a question as anything ... BUT, were there major issues with the i-3 or 3GS ?
    I'm not out to prove a point about post-Jobian Apple - I really couldn't give a sheet about that.
    It's just that the 4S was a massive disappointment and the i-5 doesn't seem to have got much right at all (screen technology issues, wrong screen-size, lack of novelty).

Questions tend to have question marks.

Nice bit of information. I did have issue with the iPhone 5 touch screen . Hope it gets resolved in the next model !