Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: Do Not Disturb Will Fix Itself January 7th

Default Apple: Do Not Disturb Will Fix Itself January 7th

New Years day of 2013, Do Not Disturb fell short of users' expectations when the setting malfunctioned and failed to disable itself at the scheduled time for many iOS 6 users, causing many not to get their notifications.

The problem stems from an issue with Apple’s calendar and clock. Just last year, something similar happened with alarm clocks failing to go off at the necessary time starting New Years day. It was devastating for people relying on the alarm to wake up on time for work or special events.

Apple has come forward Wednesday afternoon with an official statement regarding the matter, promising all iOS 6 users that Do Not Disturb will resume its usual actions on January 7th, 2013. On this date, scheduled Do Not Disturb sessions will behave as expected and will no longer continue past schedule.

For the days to come, Apple recommends that users enable and disable Do Not Disturb manually until January 7th by using the switch in the Settings application, to control when they do and do not get alerted by iOS’ notifications.

Hopefully in future iOS updates, Apple will actually fix the problem before it happens instead of letting time heal the wounds of those affected by the bug.

Sources: Apple via MacRumors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Colwood (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 893 Posts

Embarrassing.

Seems like it could be a quick fix. I don't know why they just wouldn't issue a quick delta update. This just kinda falls in line with the other glitches that apple's been getting a bad rep for. It does sadden me. I love apple products.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks again man!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Do not Disturb...has always seemed like a completely useless feature to me...If my phone has something important to tell me...I want it to disturb me. I think the bigger problem here is that people cannot simply turn it off, or figure out how to get their notifications manually for a few short days....come on.
    El Zurdo

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Do not Disturb...has always seemed like a completely useless feature to me...If my phone has something important to tell me...I want it to disturb me. I think the bigger problem here is that people cannot simply turn it off, or figure out how to get their notifications manually for a few short days....come on.
    The thing is that apple has given us a feature that some people like me, who hate to get notifications at night, find useful. And now there's a flaw and basically makes the feature useless because apple engineers got lazy with their coding. It's very annoying to turn the feature off, because I'm so used to it enabling automatically. People have gotten mad at me the past 2 days because I've taken forever to respond. I only look at my phone when I have notifications, most of the time.

That's the problem.

Don't get me wrong. I love apple products. It's just a shame that with all of the criticism that apple has taken lately, something as small as this is going to be added to be added to the list.

Weird I wonder why it takes a week to auto correct.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    Bugs often manifest in weird ways. What's disappointing is that apple, in spite of prior Jan 1 problems, still doesn't properly test their code for new year glitches.

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Embarrassing.
    Hey... they are making progress... I remember back in the old days when the alarm clock on my 3g failed to... well... alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by miatawnt2b View Post
    Hey... they are making progress... I remember back in the old days when the alarm clock on my 3g failed to... well... alarm.
    It is still embarrassing, they've been a computer company for more than 30 years, and still they forget to check for a new year glitch in their apps, specially an app that rely on time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

If only this glitch could be used as a bootrom exploit to provide an untethered Jailbreak. If there is these kinda glitches in the code then there is still hope.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    If only this glitch could be used as a bootrom exploit to provide an untethered Jailbreak. If there is these kinda glitches in the code then there is still hope.
    great, you said it and now they'll check every app to fix it before anyone can use it.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    great, you said it and now they'll check every app to fix it before anyone can use it.
    I doubt it. Either way it's Apple's fault for releasing a sub par iOS. Who puts it out there that um yeah just wait a week and it will rectify itself...that's right there is nothing they can do except fix it in 6.1 and bring forward the release on it.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Embarrassing.
    How do you work that out? After all nearly every version of iOS has had this problem one way or an other!

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    Well it takes about that much time for me to get use to writing the new year's date instead of last year's.

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Well it takes about that much time for me to get use to writing the new year's date instead of last year's.
    It's still embarrassing.

Anyone else find it funny that Apple uploaded a new ad specifically about the Do Not Disturb feature on the very day this was becoming an issue? Good thing they disable comments on their YouTube videos.

Embarrassing.
    Disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Look at it as a virtual mute button.
    Really never understood people who criticise a feature they can't be bothered to figure out the reasons it might be used.
    Other than which, nothing comes between me and my sleep - particularly not frivolous texts, etc.
    Anyone who surrenders their sleep to the consideration of others is a bit needy IMNSHO.
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 01-03-2013 at 05:55 AM.

have the finally fix whatever it is?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Tim Cook needs to effin resign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast